Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2005-11-16, 3:42pm
The Crazy One

Default Boro Tubing Pulling Points?

Gawd I hope I have the termoniology correct (see the purple donkey)! I have some boro tubing and I want to pull it down to make a blow tube sort of thang.... I have seen them, but don't recall how they are made. Can anyone give me any tips?
Old 2005-11-16, 4:40pm
ManBearPig

Get a pretty wide flame on your torch, and start rotating the tubing in the flame. Heat an area about 2" wide. When it gets soft it will want to pull itself apart on its own, but don't let it. Instead, push them together so the area you are heating thickens up. Once it gets pretty good and hot, take it out of the flame and keep rotating. Let it set up for a couple seconds and pull apart, rotating the whole time. Like pulling stringer, the faster you pull the thinner it will be. Then flame cut it in half.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-11-16, 4:45pm
The Crazy One

Chad, You are the BEST!!!!! Thank you so much!! I knew I was missing a step.... Or two...
Old 2005-11-16, 4:48pm
ManBearPig

I think there is a video tutorial over on www.thegldg.com but I'm not sure. But, once you do it a couple of times, you can do it with your eyes closed...

Although I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 2005-11-17, 12:06am
Save the Numbats

It's good to learn to pull points, but sometimes it is nice to attach a 9.5 blowtube instead.
Get some 9.5 tubing and cut it into 10" long sections or so (with the torch), open the ends (remember weird things happen if both sides are sealed at the same time) let it cool down and then seal one end to a closed tube. Some people prefer to pull points, some people prefer to use blowtubes. Some folks like to alternate ( I am of this persuasion).
8mm tubing and 12 mm can be used also. The smalle,r the more control you have over making small objects. The larger, and the easier it is to make a large one without melting your blow tube! It's hard to pull really large thick points, though it is possible. Anyway thats one reason to use 12 mm on larger blown pieces.