Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2010-02-03, 1:42pm

Default Trautman @ Glasscraft 2/20 and 2-21 2010

Here is a blurb I wrote for the event recently:

I am looking forward to my upcoming workshop at Glasscraft/Winship in Colorado February 20th and 21st. Many people have said that they would like to learn how to get more versatility out of their colors . Back in the days when we only had our own hand mixed colors some of us were” experts” in making color variations. In fact it was making the color consistent from day to day that was the challenge. But now, if anything, we have the opposite issue. Everyone has access to the many pre made colors out there.

I don’t want to call this plethora of color a problem, really. But one way to make your work stand out in some way , make it more uniquely recognizable and make a personal statement is to blend your own shades of color, by hand, in the flame. This is a skill, like any other in glassblowing, that takes practice and a little knowledge to master. Having spent thousands of hours in front of my Bethlehem PM2D twisting cane, I have developed many little tricks to share. It is possible to pull rather large amounts or rod in the flame ( I think ¼ lb of rod is quite a large amount of boro to be melting in the flame at one time.) I will demonstrate that technique. However, this isn’t really about quantity. It’s about quality. It’s about variety. How do you make 10’ of 6mm rod that is homogeneous , straight and well mixed? Or even 3’ ??

If you know how to do it, you can take 2” of second quality color and turn it into 4’ of excellent quality color. Again I will show you how to do this along with the tools and equipment you will need. And how about making color in the flame from chemicals?
I’ll touch on this subject as well.

If there are any 104 or 96 “softies” out there planning to come…. I will also show these techniques in soft glass and can have odd 104 available too. These techniques are
applicable to any COE glass. Please let us know if you are of the soft glass persuasion...

There are some advantages to being a color maker when you teach a class…like being able to provide a significant quantity for your students to play with. I’ll be bringing a significant quantity of color with me for use during this class and I’m planning to have each student go home with a generous bundle of color as a “souvenir” of the class. There will also be some special deals on colors for sale during the class as well.

Other Class Topics.

Many of you know that I started the first Boro color company back in the 80’s. Now it seems like everyone is doing it…even the Chinese have decided to get into the market !
I have done scientific glass and ultra high vacuum work, neon signs and sculpture, off hand furnace work and paperweight making . I have done a lot of vessels on the lathe as well. So I have a somewhat unique and varied back ground which has led me to be eclectic in my approach. Having started off with teachers who came from the original John Burton “school” of lampworking, I have blended all these experiences into my own style. I work with solid and hollow forms, use a lot of color ( no surprise there) , and like to use a blow hose instead of points ( you’ll learn why at the class). I also like to make my own hollow, multicolored colored ground glass stoppers. Why? Because it makes your glass go further and it is beautiful and fun… You don’t need many tools to do this. Just the technique. If there is a lathe available we could even do some tube work.

If there are any history buffs out there I’m planning a slide show and a little lecture on the history of the boro movement in the US.

So come join us in Colorado, Saturday and Sunday the 20th and 21st of February!

Paul Trautman
Old 2010-02-03, 1:44pm

Here is the link:

http://www.glasscraftinc.com/workshops_main.cfm
Old 2010-02-03, 5:00pm
Boro Bum

Thanks for the info but no money to travel
but thanks for the offer

AcidFly
P.S. ever think of doing a online class ? it might work
Old 2010-02-03, 7:01pm
Xstatic

Would love to take this class if it was closer. Ever offer this class over here in the east? I live in Kentucky but travel if it is within a two state range.
Gail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner'
Old 2010-02-04, 3:06pm

I'll be doing more of these around the country. Stay tuned!