Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2015-02-21, 9:24am

Default Shopify vs bigcommerce

Any opinions on which to go with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-02-21, 9:33am

or maybe http://www.indiemade.com ??

Old 2015-02-27, 3:57pm

Went with Indiemade...cheaper and the whole etsy integration thing(still figurin that bit out) Seems promising though

Untamedrose.com

Old 2015-02-27, 5:33pm
I fart diamonds

Just curious. For that price, why wouldn't you just get your own site? Purchase your domain, get a webhost and set up your own site? You'll have more options and more control for the same or less $$.

Old 2015-02-27, 6:06pm
Disconnected

Shawnette, I went with IndieMade as well because it's easy for blondes like me. You don't have to figure out website building, it's done and well done for you.

Old 2015-03-03, 9:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Just curious. For that price, why wouldn't you just get your own site? Purchase your domain, get a webhost and set up your own site? You'll have more options and more control for the same or less $$.
Been there done that HUGE PITA. Spent way to much time messing around with it...got mad, paid way to much $ to get someone else to fix it...for it to go wrong 6 months later and google hated it as it wasnt mobile friendly enough. Cause some plug in went bad or some other BS.... I'm not a web designer dont really want to be.

Plus the whole two separate stocks thing is another issue. 1 stock 2 places....with no extra run around on my end sounds pretty good.
Besides 20.00s a month isnt that much, Far less then what I pay etsy each month.

Last edited by untamedrose; 2015-03-03 at 9:26am.
Old 2015-03-08, 7:14am

Squarespace seems interesting as well.
Old 2015-03-22, 7:08pm
HotFlash Designs

I still can't decide which way to go. How is it going for you at indiemade?

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2015-04-16, 1:16pm

I'm really happy with it. Seriously cant think of any real complaints.

Plus its already bringing in steady sales, being able to upload my products to google merchant myself. Helped a lot a I think

Old 2015-04-16, 5:07pm

I have three different stores of different kinds on BigCommerce. I love it, I also use Shipstation for all of them.

~
~
~
~
Old 2015-12-24, 12:27pm
Storm Queen

I'm in the process of building a new website for my rubber stamp business and I went with Shopify. I built my current website myself with Expression Web software and using Shopify will save me $500 a year. But it's going to take me at least 2 months to build because my site is so big and all of the images need to be resized. That's over 1,000 images just for the stamp images alone. I'm hoping to also have an art gallery and also my step by step tutorials and projects but I have to figure out how to make those pages as Shopify themes are mostly set up for buying/shopping.

Old 2015-12-29, 7:55am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I'm in the process of building a new website for my rubber stamp business and I went with Shopify. I built my current website myself with Expression Web software and using Shopify will save me $500 a year. But it's going to take me at least 2 months to build because my site is so big and all of the images need to be resized. That's over 1,000 images just for the stamp images alone. I'm hoping to also have an art gallery and also my step by step tutorials and projects but I have to figure out how to make those pages as Shopify themes are mostly set up for buying/shopping.
A photoshop action or droplet could resize all of those images for you in an afternoon...

Old 2015-12-29, 4:21pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
A photoshop action or droplet could resize all of those images for you in an afternoon...
Nope. They not only need to be resized but also cropped correctly too. Plus renamed the actual file name instead of the useless name each file has now. I wish I could do it in batch.

Old 2015-12-29, 4:24pm
ManBearPig

Sounds like you need an intern...

Old 2015-12-29, 5:17pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Sounds like you need an intern...

Old 2015-12-29, 9:37pm

If this will help you, I use this bulk re-namer utility: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

ETA: Pretty utilitarian but it does have a window that lets you choose the files and see the changes in the window before you hit enter.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11

Last edited by SerendipityArtGlass; 2015-12-29 at 9:41pm.
Old 2015-12-29, 11:54pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerendipityArtGlass View Post
If this will help you, I use this bulk re-namer utility: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

ETA: Pretty utilitarian but it does have a window that lets you choose the files and see the changes in the window before you hit enter.
Thanks but that won't help. Some of these files are 20 years old and need major changes. For instance, one file named "half moon" needed to be majorly changed and then renamed the actual stamp name which is "Crescent Moon 739D". Something batch mode or automated software can't do for me. Some files are missing so I have to find the printed out original image and rescan it. We had a computer crash in 2004 and there are images I hadn't saved yet that are gone. The good news is I was pretty good about keeping a print out of every image.

Old 2016-02-04, 1:57am

Honestly, I prefer building websites with Wordpress. I just take a template for it on http://www.templatemonster.com/wordpress-themes.php service and customise it a little. It is a very convenient way to do it
Old 2017-11-13, 3:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kines View Post
Honestly, I prefer building websites with shopify. You can check the difference of shopify vs bigcommerce https://www.withintheflow.com/shopify-vs-bigcommerce/ shopify is a very convenient way to create an estore
yeah you are right but i think bigcommerce is also the most convenient way for creating an estore.