LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-13, 7:16pm

Default Bead Caps for lining beads question

I have begun exploring making bead caps starting with pre-made silver disks. I used a jeweler saw to cut the hole for the silver tubing to fit through.

I am contemplating Retro Tools Bead cap tool. My hesitation is you are so limited to the material sizes you can use.

I really want to explore my options. How do you make yours?

One more question, what gauge silver do you use for your caps? I used 24 gauge. I am thinking of going thicker, thinking it may withstand pressure better and not squish as easily. The first one I made the caps kind of flattened out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-09-15, 7:31pm

Smile

Michelle

I found this free video tutorial VERY helpful - I, like you, are asking the same questions, so I think you'll gain some insight after viewing this...........

http://www.dawnandevan.com/tutorials.htm

pixie
Old 2009-09-15, 7:37pm

You know what Michelle, actually the tutorial is for making the tube to line beads, in doing this you get a beautiful flush bead cap. After reading your questions again I see your really wanting the bead cap only - still it's a good starting point and an excellent tutorial.
pixie
Old 2009-09-15, 10:33pm

Michelle ... I suggest you call Jerry at Retro glass tools. He is wonderful! I'm pretty sure he will make whatever size you want. It would be good to have something with a variable size but I'm not sure this is possible??? I've been designing one in my head each night and think I may have a design for this (need to talk with a machiner) ..

Old 2009-09-16, 6:20am
Capp'in Fool

Hi Michelle I just started making the caps myself too.....very addicting

I got a Punch and Die Set from harbor freight. in the set I got 9 Punches: 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" diameter so you will get lots of different sizes to work with for only 27.00 you do have to eyeball it to get the tubing hole center.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95547

I have only used copper so far 24g 22g and 20g...And like them all
I don't have a doming block yet but to dome these caps after all the holes are punched I set the copper disk in the on the top of the die (clear side) in the next size smaller than what the disk is. then I take a small ball peen hammer put the rounded end right into the tubing hole holding the hammer straight hit the flat side of the ball peen with another hammer....domed cap..

This is my first one ...not bad for rednecking it...lol

Old 2009-09-16, 7:19am

My internet connection is challenging right now. Everything is taking looooooonnnng.

Thanks all. I did watch the video, actually months ago, then last week. It was very useful. Great tool which I am very appreciative to the makers!

I had inquired with Jerry last weekend. His tools look great. I only hesitate because of the lack of versatility. I believe in having the right tool for the job. At this time I am still exploring. I not sure what sizes would work best for me right now. An investment in Jerry's tools will come when I have a better grip on what I want to do.

I have the doming block from Harbor Freight and it will get me by, but I would like to invest in a better set. I think the salt air around here is not useful. I have stored the set, from day one wrapped in paper towels with those moisture sucking packs and it still has some pitting.

It does make me happy that HF has the Punch and Die. I will help to get me started. So the exploration will continue!

I am finding that with the "by hand method" it is harder to get the 3/32" tubing to fold well, compared to the 1/4" tubing.

The exploration continues.

Old 2009-09-16, 4:31pm
I need more boro stuff

Michelle, you can lightly rub some Vaseline on the dapping block and punches with your finger tips.
I do this every time I finished using them. It will protects them from moisture.

And you can tumbling the domed shape bead caps in tumbler first before using them on coring. It will hold the shapes better.

Old 2009-09-16, 4:48pm

Thanks Yunita. That does make sense!

Old 2009-09-18, 8:15am
tweetysweetie

I have to master the "lining" portion of making these types of beads, lol..but would like to learn how to cut/design the caps too. Ronnie, that bead is to die for, exquisite to say the least...good job!

Old 2009-09-18, 8:30am

I agree with FiredDesires.....Beautiful bead and caps Ronnie!

Old 2009-09-19, 8:27am
Capp'in Fool

Thanks girls...

Old 2012-06-16, 8:22am

Hi! Beautiful caps and bead Ronnie. Where does everyone get the flat discs to make bead caps out of. Thanks! I have the Domingo tool from Harbor Freight and have to get a punch yet. I want to find a hand punch.
Old 2012-06-17, 12:59am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

There are several places to get your precut washer discs on etsy
http://www.etsy.com/people/hodgepodgerie

http://www.etsy.com/people/MetalMeThis

Old 2012-06-17, 2:57pm

Thanks Suzanne!