Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-02-25, 11:20am
Serenity Now!

Default Something I've never seen before...

A true glass oddity. I made a recent trade with another LE member of some Amazon Bronze glass. That glass simply never 'did it' for me, but my trade-partner loves it. Go figure ~ that's what makes the World go 'round. Anyhow, I went to cut the rods into halves for easier shipping, and found this ...amazement. I've never seen anything like this - have you?

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-25, 11:28am

I've seen that with AB - and maybe with the experimental Laurie's Bronze too if I remember correctly. Cool stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-25, 3:08pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Are those very thin bronze wires sticking out of the rod? If so, and if the wires are encased in the rod, cutting the rod would not make them stick out a quarter or half inch. So, what are we looking at?

Old 2012-02-25, 3:22pm

I had some like that, Val. Ed Slawson and I looked it over and he thinks it's silver that didn't get melting in well and pulled out into solid form within the rod.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-02-25, 7:16pm
Serenity Now!

It is odd, to be sure. As Gerald said, I cut the rods with cutters, so you'd think the little wires would also at least cut flush. No? I'm not quite sure how they pulled out like that - I didn't notice it until after all the rods had been cut. They appear to be bronze or copper wires, but I could be wrong.

Old 2012-02-25, 11:24pm

they are coppers wires. when batching glass then melting in a furnace sometimes chunk copper is used and the copper doesent melt all the way and when its pulled the chunks turn into wire inside the glass =0)
Old 2012-02-26, 3:38am

I've had this with a caramel type colour before, back in the early days and also seen it in NS Exotic Red. It is pooled metal which turns into wires when pulled into a rod. If you do a caramel overlay, blow it up and sandblast the surface of the vessel away, you can see small areas where the silver has pooled under the skin. I've never seen it that bad before, that's pretty full on. It is possible that your rod was pulled out from near the bottom of the furnace where the metal has sunken to and gathered in a higher density. Obviously the glass is somewhat different coming from different areas of the furnace ... it has to do with the way the heat distributes throughout the tank ... from the corners, the sides, the bottom and top. Depending on how efficient the furnace is in heating evenly and thoroughly, it's even possible to get differing COE from the same batch due to this.

I must say that I've never heard of "chunk copper" being used when batching and it doesn't make much sense to me; it seems like a haphazard way to go about making glass ... especially considering that glassmaking is a scientific process, already fraught with a large amount of possible variables, and the aim is to make a batch as repeatable as possible. The glasschemists I know use ground and powdered ingredients which they can distribute evenly throughout the batch.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2012-02-26, 12:44pm

Is it possible they are seconds?
Old 2012-02-26, 2:05pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Huh! Things aren't always as they seem to be. Any Sherlock Holmes' out there?

Old 2012-02-27, 11:10am
funny mofo

I love Amazon Bronze (and Lauri's Bronze even more!) and I love to get the sections of thin metal. They melt on the surface and polish up nicely with silver polish. I have no idea what in the production process causes them, but I'm very happy when I see them.
Old 2012-02-27, 3:54pm
Serenity Now!

Thanks for everyone's input, and for your explanation, Wicked.

Old 2012-02-28, 5:08pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I don't think they use copper in glass due to it being hazardous when fumed.

Old 2012-02-28, 5:53pm

They do debbie ....

When i was at school we made our own color all the time and used lots of powdered minerals along with chunk metal as well. One of old italian books we toold our colors recipe from would call out for odd things such as leaving copper sheet ontop of the furnace for months to produce an oxidized scale on them. When we made traditional chalcedony at school we would use a combination of both powdered and chunk silver for some reason it always tirned out better that way =0)

Last edited by BAGGEDCHEVYS; 2012-02-28 at 6:03pm.
Old 2012-02-28, 5:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
I don't think they use copper in glass due to it being hazardous when fumed.
Aren't copper oxides what they use to get the blue and green colors in glass?

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-02-28, 7:42pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I don't know. I guess I had always read that the fumes were toxic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

Old 2012-02-28, 8:08pm
I'm a lilac!

Copper fumes are toxic, and so are quite a few of the other elements used to color glass.

Old 2012-02-28, 8:41pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Copper fumes are toxic, and so are quite a few of the other elements used to color glass.
Ventilation smentilation. LOL Kind of scary.

Old 2012-02-28, 11:10pm
Borovangelist

For something that wacky, I'd say write to Susan or Thomas, send along the photo, and ask. They're pretty good about responding and that's certainly interesting

|
|
Old 2012-02-28, 11:14pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierces*designs View Post
Ventilation smentilation. LOL Kind of scary.
I know, right? But as long as you have ventilation that takes it away from your face, everything's fine!

Old 2012-03-05, 1:58pm
Save the Numbats

I've seen that a good bit in Amazon Bronze, Aurora and Red Exotic. Break the rod, and some little stringers of unmixed metal poke out because these colors are so heavily saturated.

And indeed, copper is very common in boro.

Reduced, it makes striking red: ruby, cherrywood, etc. and also these mixtures like Amazon Bronze.

Oxidized, it is transparent green: true green, trans. green (both discontinued), Amazon Night. Any transparent green that can be reduced to red is copper.
Old 2012-03-05, 2:16pm

I was the one that Val traded with. It works up just fine, like normal. No metals are spitting out or anything. Sooooo pretty reduced.

Old 2012-03-07, 8:51pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntD View Post
I love Amazon Bronze (and Lauri's Bronze even more!) and I love to get the sections of thin metal. They melt on the surface and polish up nicely with silver polish. I have no idea what in the production process causes them, but I'm very happy when I see them.
Speaking of Lauri's Bronze, I'm down to my last 1/3 of a rod and can't find any more. Anyone know where to get some?

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2012-03-08, 4:19pm
Serenity Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I was the one that Val traded with. It works up just fine, like normal. No metals are spitting out or anything. Sooooo pretty reduced.
Hooray! I think it's safe to say we'd like some pics please.

Old 2012-03-08, 10:16pm

The metal is bronze. The glass is called Amazon Bronze because it is made with bronze.

Old 2012-03-09, 4:47pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by patezd View Post
Speaking of Lauri's Bronze, I'm down to my last 1/3 of a rod and can't find any more. Anyone know where to get some?
They don't make it anymore, they're only doing the amazon bronze, It's close, but definitely not interchangeable.

I only know because I ran out too and needed more, and that's what GA told me was the only option.

You could ask how to petition for a special run as a Rev 33 color. I think that's what it was to begin with.

|
|
Old 2012-03-16, 10:10am
funny mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
They don't make it anymore, they're only doing the amazon bronze, It's close, but definitely not interchangeable.

I only know because I ran out too and needed more, and that's what GA told me was the only option.

You could ask how to petition for a special run as a Rev 33 color. I think that's what it was to begin with.
I'd certainly buy more Lauri's Bronze if it was available!
Old 2012-03-16, 11:19am

I have less than 2 pounds of Lauri's Bronze left - I wish they would do another run. I'd buy 5 more pounds of it - have you guys tried shsha's oil slick > http://www.mountainglass.com/Trautma...Oil-Slick.html -it's one of my new favorites

Last edited by todda; 2012-03-16 at 11:23am.
Old 2012-03-16, 11:20am

Bronze is a metal alloy that contains many metals but copper is the main metal used to create bronze.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2012-03-16, 1:07pm

What is everyone doing with Laurie's Bronze? I have a few sticks of it and don't really like it.
Oh, and Val...sorry no pictures but I mainly use it for disks. The iridescence is really hard to photograph.