Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-12-14, 10:03am

Default Wine glasses

Thought I would start a new thread for wine glasses as that is what I am focusing on for the next little while. The glasses that I do are not totally made by me, there is an artist in Oregon that makes the bowls and feet. He/she sells them through Glasscraft. Anyway I design the stems. Enjoy.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-12-14, 11:31am
Pyromaniac

Cool. I wish I could make such nice bowls and feet! My in-betweens leave a lot to be desired as well. Can't wait to see more.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-12-14, 12:10pm

Good idea Deb !!

Please post more of your photos here so we can see them all in one thread
Old 2011-12-14, 4:04pm

Thanks I will.

Old 2011-12-15, 1:43pm

So I made another wine glass yesterday to match the first after a couple of tries I got pretty close.
Attached Images

Old 2011-12-15, 4:45pm

Wow...Loving these Deb. Great job on the colors
Old 2011-12-15, 5:53pm

Thanks Larry I think the colours are great too. I am working towards a design I can put in a erotic show at a local winery in the spring. My human form is not so good so I thought I would do something that would give you the illusion of two people embracing. They don't quite do it for me. On the plus side they are straight, the same height and the welds are good.

Old 2011-12-16, 7:38am

Thanks Deb for sharing, these are beautiful!

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2011-12-16, 7:56am
Always learnin' & yearnin

Nice work going on!!! Keep it up Deb!

Old 2011-12-16, 8:26am

Those are so cool! Thanks for sharing!

GTT Mirage - tanked oxygen & propane
I'm a lampworking novice who hopes to one day be worthy of my torch.
Old 2011-12-16, 8:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb tarry View Post
Thanks Larry I think the colours are great too. I am working towards a design I can put in a erotic show at a local winery in the spring. My human form is not so good so I thought I would do something that would give you the illusion of two people embracing. They don't quite do it for me. On the plus side they are straight, the same height and the welds are good.
What a fun concept and project! Your goblets are looking good! I once made a pair of seashell goblets (with a LOT of help) and I was told they were erotic looking.

Old 2011-12-16, 10:08am

I think the idea or concept is good but I think it in the execution that I am loosing it. Things seem bulky it doesn't look graceful, sensual. Anyways I have a few months to work on it, the show deadline is not until the end of February. I think maybe if I melt it smooth then flatten and twist it might get closer to what I want. If anyone has any ideas please share.

Old 2011-12-16, 11:00am

I think these abstract forms look sensual and it kind of goes along with what you've been doing. Particularly the middle and last one. I can think of a few variations that would make them more erotic.
http://www.weiku.com/products/552752...ct_Statue.html

Sorry, that picture is watermarked and hard to see but I just did a quick search for 'abstract lovers'.

Old 2011-12-16, 11:43am
Always Improving

Deb,

Quick question, when you attach the new stems how are you heating the bowl base and do you anneal after you have completed the entire piece?

Thank,

Mike...
Old 2011-12-16, 6:14pm

I don't heat the bowl they come with a little nib at the base of the bowl. I get my flame needle point fine and just hit the nib on the bowl and the end of the stem and gently put them together. I straighten turn straighten then hit just the join until the seam is smooth, straightening at every heat and turn. When that is done I do the same with the foot which also has a nib. The foot needs to be held with some hot fingers otherwise your fingers get too close to the flame. As long as you just hit the join with the flame the bowl or foot will not break, but you need that nib.

Old 2011-12-16, 6:15pm

I will work on a mini tutorial.

Old 2011-12-17, 6:27am

cool.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2011-12-17, 11:09am
Always Improving

Thank you Deb, I am hoping to have a couple made over the weekend.

Made the bowls and bases last week, stems this week.

Mike...
Old 2011-12-17, 11:24am

I would love to try some of these out!!!! Just have got the bowls or feet for it yet! Where do you get yours again deb?

Old 2011-12-17, 4:07pm

I got them from Glasscraft in Oregon. They have several different shapes to the bowls and sometimes need to get more in so phone ahead of time. They sent them to me in Canada with lots of packing so nothing got broken. I paid between 20.00 and 25.00 dollars for one bowl and foot.
Post pictures when you guys make them I would love to see what others come up with.

Last edited by deb tarry; 2011-12-17 at 4:09pm. Reason: requested pics
Old 2011-12-21, 9:41pm

After looking at those wine glass deb I had to try one. But I am to cheap to buy those so mine is no where close, but I will polish off a bottel with them.

Old 2011-12-22, 12:14am

Those are awesome mike I have quite a few that look like that myself, I just got tired of my friends saying 'can u make them any bigger' So a couldn't make them bigger so I bought some. I am glad I did because I have sold a few and they have just about paid for themselves. I still have to make one for myself for the holidays I better do that tomorrow cause the time is near. Toast to you mike.

Old 2011-12-22, 6:50am

Mike they are perfect size for sherry, port, or any of the high quality 'sippin' liquors, great niche market I think.

J. Krishnamurti

[url]www.BlownAFuseGlass.etsy.com
Old 2011-12-22, 9:00am
needs creative tagline

Did this one about 3 months ago. One of my friends named it "Venus de Vino"

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-12-22, 9:25am

That looks great laura.

Old 2011-12-22, 1:42pm
Save the Numbats

I've been making a ton of tumblers and small stemless cups (like whiskey glasses) recently. It sure is fun. You definitely need a larger torch to blow your own feet and cups, though. This is one project where a Red Max is better than a Lynx, and a CC is better than a Phantom (!).
Old 2011-12-22, 5:53pm

Oh ya whiskey glasses would be great I have a few whiskey drinkers in my family, I so want to make some of those.

Old 2011-12-25, 8:35am

I have got to try this out!!!! I LOVE a good wine glass!

Old 2011-12-30, 8:14pm
Always Improving

So I tried to add stems to the bowls and bases for a week or so ago.

The bowls cracked about 5 minutes after I added the stems.

I heated the nib on the bowl, heated the stem, attached them together and set it on the bench to cool.

Then it cracked.

What did I do incorrectly?

Any help is appreciated.

Mike...
Old 2011-12-30, 8:38pm
Save the Numbats

Well, it sounds like you didn't properly flame anneal it, or work with the heat right to prevent cracking.

I view it like 'it cracks where the heat ends'. So, if you have something hot enough to do an attachment, and then set it down, it's likely to crack say, about an inch away from where you heated... unless you even out the heat in that area, or stick it in a kiln.

If you're not going to set it into a kiln, after you connect the two pieces heat the whole cup, particularly the bottom half, in a big propaney flame with a bit of 02 for a minute or two.