Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-18, 1:22pm

Default Liquid silver solution?

I am looking into silvering the interior of some of my beads but I cant seem to find any of the ingredients for liquid silvering process. Has anyone on here attempted this, and if so is it dangerous? I realize I could just silver fume my beads but I believe the affects of the silvering solution would be are superior and would be easier. Please help pyrojoe figure out this conundrum.
Old 2013-11-18, 1:36pm

I hope this helps:

http://angelgilding.com/mirror-kits.html
Old 2013-11-18, 1:44pm

All my questions answered, Thank you!
Old 2013-11-18, 3:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroJoe View Post
All my questions answered, Thank you!
May I as what you have in mind. I bought a kit from them a while back, I have not used it yet. I'm not sure what your trying to do but it sounds very interesting.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
Old 2013-11-19, 7:17am

Well I always have these new ideas floating around in my head. I have heard that coating the inside of a colored bead will give it a glowing affect. The kit I am looking at right now will cost me $50.00
Old 2013-11-19, 10:35am

Thanks Joe, The one concern I would have is you have to back it up with something or it can be easy to scratch. They have great videos on the site on how to use their products.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-11-20, 8:25am

Yea I believe it comes with a backing. Wish me luck! This could be another one of Joe's crazy wastes of money! lol
Old 2013-11-20, 9:02am
Who me?

have you considered Krylon Looking Glass paint?

http://bliss-athome.com/2012/06/28/diy-mercury-glass/
Old 2013-11-20, 5:03pm

Let us know how it works out.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-11-20, 7:32pm
Lizard rescue squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroJoe View Post
I am looking into silvering the interior of some of my beads but I cant seem to find any of the ingredients for liquid silvering process. Has anyone on here attempted this, and if so is it dangerous? I realize I could just silver fume my beads but I believe the affects of the silvering solution would be are superior and would be easier. Please help pyrojoe figure out this conundrum.
I've silvered quite a bit of glass before. Long ago, while I was working as a glassblower in a research lab, we used to make ornaments every Christmas season and silver the inside. There are some tricks to it that will make it work better/more consistently.

But I'm not sure what your aim is. Are the beads you want to silver hollow? Or do you want to lay down the silver and then melt hot glass over it? (Which is VERY unlikely to work if you want it to stay silver.) Or do you want to silver the mandrel hole in the bead, which doesn't sound likely - and also won't work well if you do.

Without knowing the answer to these questions, I'll just suggest you also take a look at this website for high quality silvering solutions. (The Angel Gilding site that was already mentioned is a nice one too.) Aside from the silvering solution itself, you will need reducer, and for the best result, sensitizer. The sensitizer is used prior to silvering to help prepare the glass surface for the silver. You can do without it, but using it produces a better product. The reducer plates out the silver once your surface is coated with the silvering solution.

For more of a "do-it-yourself" type of project, do a search on "Brashear process".

I hope that is some help.

Brad

Last edited by glassmaker; 2013-11-20 at 7:40pm.
Old 2013-11-21, 9:27am

Yeah what I want to do is pretty simple. Basically I will be making a hollow bead and will be coating the inside with the silver solution.
Old 2013-11-21, 11:45am

If it's a hollow bead you may not need the backing, there will be nothing to rub against except for around the holes. Nice Idea.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-11-24, 5:17pm

Joe, I have some info on this in a book I wrote, and I used the angel gilding material. One of the challenges is just scaling it down to beads. Also, buy small amounts, they get stale and don't work as well fairly fast, they are also temperature sensitive when stored. If I can help, let me know, I have silvered many hollows, and made my share of mistakes along the way! I might have some snippets from the book on an old computer I could try to dig up. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2013-11-25, 5:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
Joe, I have some info on this in a book I wrote, and I used the angel gilding material. One of the challenges is just scaling it down to beads. Also, buy small amounts, they get stale and don't work as well fairly fast, they are also temperature sensitive when stored. If I can help, let me know, I have silvered many hollows, and made my share of mistakes along the way! I might have some snippets from the book on an old computer I could try to dig up. Jeri
Hi Jeri, I bought my kit 7 months ago and have not done anything with it yet, does that mean my chemicals are going to go bad. Any other info would be appreciated.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-11-25, 5:50pm

Hi Bob, I have conferred with my husband Neil, he is far more a chemist than I am! He thinks up to one year you are likely ok, especially if they are sealed. I kept mine in my studio, which is chilly, and after a year everything took longer, but still worked. bTW we have never used a backing, although it is likely that if you want "forever" type durability, consider sealing it with lacquer, as in their kit. I haven't done that, but it seems like it would be helpful in some applications. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2013-11-25, 6:57pm

[quote=Jeri;4465206]Hi Bob, I have conferred with my husband Neil, he is far more a chemist than I am! He thinks up to one year you are likely ok, especially if they are sealed. I kept mine in my studio, which is chilly, and after a year everything took longer, but still worked. bTW we have never used a backing, although it is likely that if you want "forever" type durability, consider sealing it with lacquer, as in their kit. I haven't done that, but it seems like it would be helpful in some applications. Jeri[/QUOTE

Thanks Jeri, that is good to know, nothing has been unsealed yet. In the earlier post where I mentioned the backing I did not realize Pyrojoe was making a hollow, you may not need a backing in a hollow where nothing will be rubbing against the back of the silver.
Bob

e-mail: