LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-08-16, 3:30am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Default MAPP gas vs. the new MAP Pro?

Has anyone using a hot head have experience with the new MAP Pro gas? I went to Home Depot to buy more MAPP gas and they didn't carry it anymore. The only carried this new MAP Pro. It was cheaper so I went ahead and bought it. The only difference I read was that it burns hotter but I wonder the effect on the beads and the torch. Does it leave any kind of funky residue on the beads? Any effect with using the hot head torch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2008-08-16, 4:41am

It certainly burns hotter. Took me a few tries before I got it. I've had to turn my torch down lower than I would have expected and work a little farther out in the flame. Now that I've figured it out, I like how it works.

Old 2008-08-16, 5:56am

KarenBeth,
There is a tread I started 07/08/08 Tips and Tech Section
I can't figure out how to link it here sorry. Hope it helps.
Like Rachel said farther out.
When the tank has emptied a bit then you will have to fine the sweet spot again.
Old 2008-08-18, 12:56pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Thanks guys. Glad to know I didn't waste my money buying it.

*+.+*
Old 2008-08-23, 6:04pm

Karen is there a Ace Hardware by you? They told me that they can still get it.
Happy hunting
Old 2008-08-23, 6:45pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Yes but I'm using what I have now. The Map Pro isn't so much different, just hotter which doesn't seem to be a big deal. Thanks a bunch.

*+.+*
Old 2008-08-27, 10:03pm
I speak Murrini!

I have a question for you all...I've used MAPP the entire time I was on a Hot Head - 18 months. I have a Mini CC now, but switch to the HH when I'm "testing" - like I'm doing now with the new Precision 104 colors - or when I'm in between oxy tank refills. I couldn't find MAPP (of course!) and tried the small Propane cannisters that they have at Home Depot. It FOR SURE burns hotter - but........my question is directed to those who know how to do "reduction" on a Hot Head.

I was really GREAT at it with the MAPP and my welding glove; I'm in the process of testing the new Prec. 104 colors for Abe right now, and noticed that the last two colors I tried didn't seem to respond to reduction. It could be the glass or it might be the pure Propane - anyone else get a good reduction on a Hot Head with the pure Propane, or should I try and find MapPro? (They were out at Home Depot and I was anxious to get to torching!!!!)

Thanks in advance for your input and feedback.

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro