No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2014-05-19, 6:44am
Glass Meltin' Fool

Default Shedio setup in progress, fire safety question

Hi! I'm returning to the fold after years of idleness, setting up a studio in my shed. I use a Bethlehem Barracuda, and I wanted some feedback on my plans for outfitting my space. What's everyone doing for fire safety for back wall, low ceilings, etc? My shed ceiling/wall is unfinished, about 6'4" high. I'm planning on mounting my torch about 4' from the back wall, I have a powerful exhaust fan mounted on the wall at about 5' high. I've used the fan before, it rocks, but I'm concerned about fireproofing since the ceiling is so low. I should have about 2'+ Flame clearance from both wall and ceiling.

My plan is to sheath the wall and exposed ceiling with 1/2" cement board (Durock, non-combustible). Thinking about using it for the desktop over plywood as well. Any pros/cons to this setup? I know some of you use sheet metal, but I'm concerned that would transmit too much heat...

Thanks, pics to follow...
Old 2014-05-22, 7:35pm

I used stainless over the cement board. The cement board is fine, but it is hard to keep clean, and will also abrade and get into your glass, on your tools, etc. I would use at least one piece of stainless on top of the bench over the cement board. I put stainless behind the torch as well, but that may have been overkill. Then again, i use a GTT Delta Elite and make 3" spheres sometimes, so maybe it was a good idea after all.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-05-24, 7:19pm
Glass Meltin' Fool

Thanks, Eric. Sounds like that's my plan. GTT are the best, I used to use a Phantom in the first studio I learned in, I can only imagine what the Delta can do... Gotta sell some glass and maybe I'll work up to one again!
Old 2014-05-25, 6:12am
Flamewoman

I used ceramic tile. It's clean and doesn't reflect heat. I have it on my bench and on the wall behind the torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-25, 6:32am

When you put a firewall up for a wood stove, they require you to make an air gap between the wall and the firewall. Wouldn't that also be desirable in this case? A friend did hers by putting square molding on the wall and then mounting a sheet of decorative tin on that. The insurance inspector was happy with it.
Old 2014-05-26, 12:11pm

I used stainless steel peg board over cement board for the back walls and stainless over cement board for the bench top.
Old 2014-05-26, 8:50pm
Flamewoman

I know I was concerned about the wall in front of my torch, but to be honest with you, I have put my hand on that back wall after torching for 3 or more hours, and it's not even warm. And neither is my hood. I run a scorpion and I run it full out a lot of the time, I know there are lot bigger torches out there that create more heat than mine, but I think with the ventilation that I have most of the heat goes out and the vents at the back of my bench keep things cool back there. For my setup, any air gaps would just be overkill, not really necessary .
here are some old, old pics of my set up:

This is while my studio was being built, so nothing is finished.
But you should get the idea. I have a 900cfm granger squirrel cage fan.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-29, 7:44am

my bench top is granite. Its easy to keep clean and very durable. My back wall is steel sheet over cement board with a gap to the wall.
Old 2014-06-25, 2:00am
Phill

Aye. I picked up a 3 foot by 13 foot sheet of sheet metal from the duct work guys at my local heating and ac company for some $18 a few years back. Stainless is pretty but it is also pretty spendy. Fancy sheet tin would be good for appearances.

As long as the flame is 12 to 18 inches away from the wall I don't think you "HAVE" to put anything on it but some cement board would be wise just in case.

The difference between a torch and a wood stove is the quantity of heat over the area involved. Wood stoves run to say 900 degrees but it is a ball of fire about one cubic foot in size. Torches run to 2300 degrees but it a cone about an inch wide and maybe 28 inches long. Also torches are not designed to run without someone actually right there paying attention. Wood stoves need to allow you to go to sleep knowing that you will wake up in an un 'cindered' state.

Tags
fireproofing, safety questions, shedio