Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: How bad was your worst burn?
I've had up to 1st degree burns-Pink to red skin, mild swelling, pain, 3-5 days to heal 152 27.49%
I've had Up to 2nd degree burns-Bright skin, moderate swelling, pain, blisters, 2-6 weeks to heal 191 34.54%
Up to 3rd degree-white/brown/yellow/black skin,severe swelling, little/no pain, weeks to heal. 149 26.94%
Up to 4th degree-black leathery skin, no pain/swelling, months to heal. 20 3.62%
I've had no burns. I'm way too careful (or have safety gear) 58 10.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-03-25, 2:46am

Default there will be burns

I'm a newbie and have burns galore. hands, fingertips, back of my legs (don't ask), but it doesn't stop me from doing it. They're nothing that required emergency room intervention, but I've slept with icepacks and cold towels. I try not to fear the flame, but I have to remind myself that it's there! To avoid more burns, I use safety glasses over my prescription glasses or contacts, wear a surgeon mask (lol), and tie on a brown suede welding apron. I look downright ridiculous, but those Johnson and Johnson hospital grade burn bandaids are expensive and I don't want to look like Freddy Kruger. I also only wear 100% cotton. I've had synthetic fabric melt to my skin - need I say holy f___k!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-25, 8:00am
Ad astra per aspera

I've had several teeny "flak" burns, but only a very few really bad ones. The first was doing a sculptural bead...gave a twist with the pliers I was using and ever-so-daintily plunged my pinkie right into the flame. 3rd degree burn on half my fingertip. Months to heal, but my fingerprints even came back! My other lulu was working at a strange bench. Put down a boro rod, went to pick up the rod beside it and rolled the outside of my index finger right along the just-barely-cooled rod end. The rod stuck to my skin! Months to heal, all better.

Lavender oil is your friend. I wish I'd had it when I got all the burn-freckles on my arms from working the fry station at McD's in high school! I'm a lot more dangerous to myself in the kitchen or ironing.

Old 2009-03-25, 10:39am
Lampworkaholic!

Early on, I picked up a rod at the end that had recently been in the torch. I screamed and it went flying. I thought, at least I'll never do that again. Right.

I haven't had any really bad burns. I have had a hot splinter off a shocky rod go down my shirt and into my bra. That was exciting.

I've also put my thumbnail into the flame. Who knew that gel nails don't burn, melt or catch fire. I heard the hiss rather than felt it. It barely dulled the finish on the nail. ;

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-03-25, 11:18am

I was spinning dichro twisty's the other day with my drill and got so excited that it was working that I forgot a key point - as glass cools it gets stiff and then solid. Yep, I kept spinning until the whole thing blew apart and a big chunk of hot glass stuck to my cheek. I was afraid I would see my cheek laid open when I looked in the mirror but fortunately the cut was pretty small and the burn only about the size of a quarter - just big enough to get grief from my colleagues at work. They say I've gone from being a "burner" to being a "cutter and a burner"

Old 2009-03-25, 10:07pm
old person/new member

oh man! The first bead making class I took - I burned my chin on my torch. Packing up to go home, I took my hot head off the clamp thingy and while my hands were full, I inadvertantly turned my head and lowered my chin to the metal of torch head. Had a nasty burn that was hard to explain.
Since then I"ve been incredibly careful, however, a few times I have smelt that horrid smell of wool/hair burning. Since nothing hurt- I just continued on.

Ignorance is bliss.

Old 2009-03-26, 1:00am
Slowbie and loving it!

Just a couple of wee white blisters from stupidly picking up quite hot stringers. But, then again, I'm a chicken-hearted newbie!

My big burn stories are all about cooking. Second degree burns to my foot. Steamed golden syrup pudding is definitely off the menu!

Vicki
Old 2009-03-26, 2:53am
Sharon

Had shocky glass land down in my bra...was torching in a tanktop because it was so hot in the studio...the glass popped and went down the shirt and into the left cup. I dropped the mandrel and glass rod on the table...yanked off the top and bra and ran for the ice. When I was ripping off my clothes...the piece of glass slipped down and landed at the top of my abdomen...right below bra level. Two burns for the price of one!!

Unfortunate placement as the bandages would get rubbed around by my bra. I ended up using duoderms to heal them. (hydrocolloid dressings frequently used for pressure ulcers/"bedsores") Wound care was one of my fav things to do in the NH setting!!
Old 2009-03-26, 9:10am

My burns are stupid mistake burns like accidently picking up a hot rod DOH! Flying glass hits right below the eys....and reaching too close to the flame. Another DOH!
I've only had two really bad burns...One when I almost dropped my mandrel with bead on the floor and reactions acted and I saved it but I pulled up so hard that it smacked me in chin
Then of course there was an off-mandrel piece (which whenever I make these, I drop at least one) this one fell in my lap and I tried to jump and squiggle it off but it burnt a hole in my sweats and everytime I squiggled it would move and burn another hole. Of course it had to go through one of the holes and got inside the pants...(I'm standing now as I feel the burning going down my leg) Jumping like an idiot trying to make it go down the leg a bit faster....somehow, and I still don't get this part, it slid INTO my sock. My socks aren't loose. They do grip around the ankle so how the heck that happened I have no idea. But because it was in the sock, it didn't travel anymore but was pressed up against my ankle. I pretty much ended up partially naked as I stripped everything off to stop it but I ened up with a gross looking, white, black and eventually yellow ( I think I fumed myself) looking skin. That was the only 3rd degree burn and probably a lifetime scar. I ended up with a total of 5 burns that night from it traveling down my leg. There's pictures somewhere on the board of it....But I got back on the torch and tried once again to make another bead! Stupid or just addicted lol

Old 2009-03-27, 8:44pm

I have had a lot of glass that is shocky and has popped and hit me on the neck hands and arms, my son won't come around when I am starting a new rod LOL. Once I stuck my right hand into the flame for a second sort of brushed the flame, took several weeks to heal. I had dropped something and was trying to save it. LOL now I don't try to save anything.
Sandra
Old 2009-03-29, 10:13am

lOTS and lots of 2nd degree burns on my neck, arms, legs, most serious was my thumb and thumb nail, nail turned black, and the pain went clear up to my cutical.
Old 2009-03-30, 9:32pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
My burns are stupid mistake burns like accidently picking up a hot rod DOH! Flying glass hits right below the eys....and reaching too close to the flame. Another DOH!
I've only had two really bad burns...One when I almost dropped my mandrel with bead on the floor and reactions acted and I saved it but I pulled up so hard that it smacked me in chin
Then of course there was an off-mandrel piece (which whenever I make these, I drop at least one) this one fell in my lap and I tried to jump and squiggle it off but it burnt a hole in my sweats and everytime I squiggled it would move and burn another hole. Of course it had to go through one of the holes and got inside the pants...(I'm standing now as I feel the burning going down my leg) Jumping like an idiot trying to make it go down the leg a bit faster....somehow, and I still don't get this part, it slid INTO my sock. My socks aren't loose. They do grip around the ankle so how the heck that happened I have no idea. But because it was in the sock, it didn't travel anymore but was pressed up against my ankle. I pretty much ended up partially naked as I stripped everything off to stop it but I ened up with a gross looking, white, black and eventually yellow ( I think I fumed myself) looking skin. That was the only 3rd degree burn and probably a lifetime scar. I ended up with a total of 5 burns that night from it traveling down my leg. There's pictures somewhere on the board of it....But I got back on the torch and tried once again to make another bead! Stupid or just addicted lol

i'm sorry, but this just cracked me up (i must have a sadistic streak)

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-04-02, 1:22pm
Floral Obsessed

Stuck my thumb knuckle in the edge of the flame once, which still has a dime-sized pale patch but is thankfully regular skin texture again after two years.
The worst one, though, was a tiny bit of popped glass that bounced off my face... I flinched and immediately tried to brush it off - with the hand that was holding a mandrel with a huge round red-hot bead on it. Got myself BADLY in the chin, had a big dollar-coin-sized sizzly brown and white burnmark. And I was getting married in two months! Needless to say I took very good care of it, lot of aloe and vitamin e oil. No scar at all now but when I look carefully there's less flesh density there.

Scary. But the trick for healing burns is to keep it moist and clean (I like vitamim E, beeswax, lavender and aloe), change dressings often, and protect it from the sun until the mark is gone. If it stays moist it won't scab and crack and tempt you to pick at it, which will deepen the damage. Moist wounds will let the underlayers heal, too, instead of drying out and dying.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2009-04-02, 7:05pm

Oh yea!! I have had plenty of the flying glass spots.Shocky glass burns. And I burnt my wrist once when I first started with a hothead 3rd. degree. It wouldn't heal, I'm diabetic. So I had to go back and forth to wound clinic till it did. That wasn't pleasant at all. I had shocky glass land in my bra once and burnt me,my bra, my tea shirt and my pride. I got me a swaid apron and those days are over. Well worth the money I say. Also stop getting in a hurry and dance my rods in and out of the flame more. If you play with fire you will get burnt.
Old 2009-04-02, 7:19pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I've had the traditional pops of glass on the arms, hands, between the fingers, down the shirt, etc. But with this one I felt super dumb. I think I was applying stringer to a bead and got too close. Had to take a picture! Good thing my nail was at least that long. It was smelly too.

I use a great burn product called Biogauze. My friends sent it to me from France. What should have been blisters never blistered, and it heals just in days. No pain too.

Old 2009-04-02, 7:46pm
Flamewoman

Surprized to see this thread is still "burning" strong.
This is an old shot of my very burned finger right after I did it.
It got much uglier as it healed, but healed up fine, and in less than 2 weeks,
thanks to a cream I got at the ER called silvadene. It is a miracle cream
for burns. I think about what I did that day every time I torch.
I think about NOT doing it again, for sure. Painfull. ALL of the skin fell off
my finger, it was a mess. Can't reccomend passing your finger thru the flame
when dipping a starfish in clear frit. Nope. Don't do it.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2009-04-04 at 4:50pm. Reason: I can't spell, yet detest bad spellink.
Old 2009-04-04, 11:20am
mojo7

Holy crap, Mary K! This is my first post in several years and I thought your story deserved the most attention. Yes, silvadene works wonders though I've never had to use it but the ex did (long story). My little story seems so insignificant compared to yours, but since I'm sitting here staring at the 1 week old burn, I'll tell my tale.
I was in my flannel jammies and did something stupid with a twistie, and now I have a perfect little impression of those hot swirling lines - actually looks kind of cool. But I did burn a hole through the dancing lambs on my jammies, and that hurts more than the actual burn. At least I didn't burn the Jimi Hendrix t-shirt I was wearing at the time. As you can tell, I dress like a clown.

Ya'll be careful out there!
Old 2009-04-04, 4:49pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo7 View Post
Holy crap, Mary K! This is my first post in several years and I thought your story deserved the most attention. Yes, silvadene works wonders though I've never had to use it but the ex did (long story). My little story seems so insignificant compared to yours, but since I'm sitting here staring at the 1 week old burn, I'll tell my tale.
I was in my flannel jammies and did something stupid with a twistie, and now I have a perfect little impression of those hot swirling lines - actually looks kind of cool. But I did burn a hole through the dancing lambs on my jammies, and that hurts more than the actual burn. At least I didn't burn the Jimi Hendrix t-shirt I was wearing at the time. As you can tell, I dress like a clown.

Ya'll be careful out there!
A Clown? NOT! sounds like you dress like I do. My most fav T-shirt is an antique Led Zeppelin that I bought at their concert. And second only to my Jimi T-shirt. I was a teen ager in Concord, Ca 20 min from SF and saw just about every one who is dead in concert(some are still rockin'). I treasure all my momento's, so I understand.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-04-05, 5:02pm
mojo7

Mary K, if I were you I would frame that Zeppelin shirt, build an altar for it, light some candles and chant twice a day.
Old 2009-04-09, 4:56pm
Bead Artist

Yeah I have just stuck my fingers in the flame too..like couldn't see where the heat was.

Old 2009-07-07, 4:55am
Striking-impared...

I've had the usual flying glass mini-burns, but the worst ones have been when I've picked up a hot mandrel or hot piece of glass without thinking.

The one that gave me the second-degree burns was when I picked up the wrong end of a boro rod that had just been in the flame -- ouch ouch ouch!

These days, my "hot spots" tend to me when I lean my arm against a press or mold that is hot. One day I will clean off my worktable enough so that these are out of the way of my arm...

Old 2009-07-08, 9:13pm
Feminist Killjoy

A couple of years ago, I was torching in only a bra (I know, I know) and after I turned the Hothead off, I absent-mindedly reached over the torch to grab something and burned a perfect image of the torch head on the inner part of my arm. The part that's right near my armpit. Sensitive skin! The great part about it was, it was so severe that it immediately turned white and never really hurt beyond the initial sizzle. Healed a lot nicer than my many other, less sever burns too!
Old 2009-07-08, 9:25pm
Tweedle Dumb

This is what a finger looks like after attempting to catch a falling molten marble... good thing i missed, it could have been way worse. It literally made contact for a fraction of a second. I had a similar one when i garaged a bead quickly while going up stairs to handle a kid brawl, when i came back down to finish it i was so flustered i just picked up the mandrel with out thinking (yes it was sticking out of the kiln) ummm, yup, it was as hot as snot, not only did i burn my pointer and thumb pretty darn bad but i dropped that stinking bead on the floor and was too hurt to pick it up again.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-07-08, 10:22pm

not one burn to my body, but i have burned up some clothing. not sure how, but some time this winter while wearing my thermal carthart overalls I burnt the entire elbow off. i wasnt aware of it til i took them off. the burn went all the way though the cloth and thermal line right down to my flannel shirt that showed no signs of the occurrence. never felt it, never smelt it. big freaking hole . just odd.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-07-09, 10:41pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

When i was 4 or 5, I picked up the tip of a hot soldering iron because i was looking right while my hand went for the iron. hands down the most painfull burn thus far (I hope to keep it that way). Ever since then, I try to really pay attention to what i'm doing, but it's easy to forget. So my routine before each flameworkig session is I tell myself..."no burns today...keep my eyes on the peice when it is in the flame."

But despite this, every once in a while, I catch myself continuing to spin the glass in the flame while I look away to find the correct tool i want.

In my short 4 months on the torch, I haven't been painfully burned yet (knock on wood), except for a very minor case of picking up a warm/hot pice of glass which caused no damage and in which the pain went away in a minute or so.

I saw some pictures of a kobuki and delta mag flame, and frankly, those torches scare me because all it takes is one momentary lapse, and i'd be jacked!
Old 2009-07-09, 11:24pm

I gotta a good one right now..sorry no pics...just in time for the Gathering...yeahhh

Get Your New Hagstrom Art Glass Videos on my website and Etsy now!!!
Old 2009-07-10, 10:53am

I had a hard time choosing what degree burns I have had. None of the descriptions really fit. I decided to go with first degree only because my discomfort has been minimal.

I have burned myself many times. I have had no blistering and very little pain. Normally a break to put some ice on it, then back to work. After a while the burn will peal. I have dropped molten glass on my leg and arm. I once crossed my hand through the flame.

Maybe they were third degree with no swelling.

I have been amazed at how minimal the damage has been......knock on wood.....

Last edited by bousky; 2009-07-10 at 10:57am.
Old 2009-07-10, 11:09am
Mary Lockwood

I voted that I'd never had a burn, but then I remembered one time I was pushing a dot into a bead and the stringer broke and I grazed the bead with my knuckle. It didn't even blister and looked more like a callous than a burn. A few days later that skin sloughed off and that was the end of that.

I get burnt much worse in the kitchen than I've ever had happen at the torch. Probably because when I cook it's a disaster area and when I torch it's spotless. I don't leave lots of opportunities for injury around and I'm very respectful of that open flame.

I don't want this to hurt! LOL

Old 2009-07-13, 8:44am
Cute and bitey

Funny that I should see this thread just as I'm looking at the blister on my index finger from grabbing a hot mandrel that was starting to fall out of the kiln last night. Next recent - I have a nice white scar on my knuckle from grabbing a short double-pronged button mandrel with pliers for someone to transport to the kiln. I didn't grip the pliers tight enough and the mandrel slipped and the button sizzled my knuckle down to the cartiledge. That one didn't hurt until it started healing - about 6 weeks worth.

I've had plenty of burns. When I was about 11 mos old and learning to stand, I stood up and put my hands against the glass window of the oven. This is before they were insulated. I didn't react immediately, so by the time I cried out I had burnt the palms of both hands and my mom had to take me to the hospital and had to deal with a police officer and social worker pummeling her with child abuse questions. They didn't think I'd have finger prints, but it all grew back normally. Just think - I could have been a spy!
Old 2009-07-16, 2:58pm
Fancy Mammal

I've had small burns from torch... but I got a second degree burn from the oven. Think that's telling me something?
Old 2009-08-27, 4:44pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Well.... I've only been melting glass for about 4 weeks now and I've only been burnt twice while making beads. The 1st one was during my first beginner lesson when I pulled a hot glob of scumming glass off a rod, put it on the table and then decided to pick it up with my fingers to move it....WRONG... The 2nd one happened when I was working on a bead at home, trying to poke a dimple in a flower for that all important bubble and left the pick in too long and it got stuck. When I blew on it to loosen it, I blew out my torch (Hot Head), I then panicked...... dropped the mandrel w/partially done bead on my work station, turned the torch off, knocked the mandrel onto the floor, leaned over to pick it up, burnt my arm on the torch (torches stay hot even when their turned off....).... It was like the three stooges and Lucy all wrapped into one...... I'm just thank-full I didn't catch my hair on fire (which is almost waist long but I keep it pulled back, but sometimes my ponytail comes swooshing around when I put my beadS in the crock pot).....THATS ALL!!

Oh Ya...... I received my 3rd degree burn when I tried to brand myself with the hot motor thingy on the pressure washer when I was washing my dirt bike. I think that one took months to heal......

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!

Last edited by sansan239s; 2009-08-27 at 4:46pm. Reason: added more