Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-01-26, 2:37pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default I didn't know Christmas fell on January 26th!

Guess what I have?!!!

A Carlisle Mini CC plus the dvd. I am beyond excited , confused, skeered and everything in between.

The torch looks alien to me. I have never had one moment on a dual torch. Oh what a year this is going to be......

I am about to fire up the dvd to learn about my new baby. Any of you here with experience with this torch, please post away!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-26, 3:44pm
GlassDocNC

Congratulations!
Old 2010-01-26, 3:46pm
*Desa Elliott*

YESSS!!! What do you want to know? I can tell you about anything.....

Desa

G-88
Creideamh, Sųil, Dėlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2010-01-26, 4:00pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Can it be attached to my creation station?

Old 2010-01-26, 7:06pm
*Desa Elliott*

Oh yeah! I use a C-clamp holding my station to the worktable, but the clamps on the station are very secure.

G-88

Old 2010-01-26, 7:45pm
Macaw Mamma

Yay!!!
Congratulations on your new baby! Happy Torching!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2010-01-26, 8:25pm
BeadsonCypress

You're gonna be really happy with it. PM me for some "secret" info that will help keep it "reasonable when you set it up......Susan

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-01-27, 8:27pm

I've had my miniCC for 7+ years and I still love it. I can melt up to about 3/4" boro marbles, pendants, icicles, & ornaments on the oxycon, but I can go up to about 1 1/2" marbles on O2 tanks. I just made an 1 5/8" marble for the 2010 marble exchange.

The torch really likes tanked O2 better, but I've paid for my oxycon several times over already not having to buy tanked O2 for most of my smaller stuff.

A GTT Phantom is on my wish list though...
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.
Old 2010-01-27, 8:43pm
In search of her path....

it gets hot, be careful i mean the actual torch itself knobs etc do get hot so be careful. Get a torch mounted marver its indespensable seriously I feel handicapped if im working on a torch without one.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-01-27, 9:18pm
*Desa Elliott*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs View Post
it gets hot, be careful i mean the actual torch itself knobs etc do get hot so be careful. Get a torch mounted marver its indespensable seriously I feel handicapped if im working on a torch without one.
When we first got our MiniCC, we did not have the DVD with it, so we just hooked it up and went with the flow. We noticed that the knobs were hot, and so I called Carlisle and asked the customer rep if that was normal. I also mentioned, offhandedly, that we were melting a lot of the mandrels. (seriously, they would just plop off the end, bead and all), The gentleman that I talked to asked me what the gas pressure reading was on the gas gauge. (I use BBQ type propane with a regulator). I told him that I was using about 10lb psi on the gas, and about 5 LPM from the oxycon. His comment was "well, hell, no wonder. You're not making beads, you're welding!

After turning the gas pressure to 4 psi, and using the oxycon at 8 LPM, I am now working with a nice balance of power from my torch. And, believe me, it has power!

One tip: the more hissing you get from the torch, the cooler it is running. The first thing that you will notice is that is extremely quiet. You will love that! You have to listed to hear the torch at all, but you can; the quieter it is the hotter it is running.

Keep in mind that this is a surface-mix torch. That means that the oxygen and the gas meet at the face of the torch, not in the inside. So, that being said, there is no need to worry about flashback, or needing a flashback arrestor.

Go slow at first. Move your glass in and out of the flame, even more that you do with your HH. Expect to lose control of some of your glass, especially white and ivory, because they turn into melted butter in front of the Mini. And, work about 4" away from the torch face.

You are going to have a world of fun with this! When you get used to what it will do, THEN, you can explore the world of striking and reducing glass, and Oh, My! You will never look back......

Desa

G-88

Old 2010-01-27, 9:22pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay this post has me excited! I am creating a file for all these notes everyone. Thank you.

Saturday I will be renting time on a big girl torch to see what the heck this is all about. I have a feeling Saturday is going to be a big day for me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreFiend View Post
When we first got our MiniCC, we did not have the DVD with it, so we just hooked it up and went with the flow. We noticed that the knobs were hot, and so I called Carlisle and asked the customer rep if that was normal. I also mentioned, offhandedly, that we were melting a lot of the mandrels. (seriously, they would just plop off the end, bead and all), The gentleman that I talked to asked me what the gas pressure reading was on the gas gauge. (I use BBQ type propane with a regulator). I told him that I was using about 10lb psi on the gas, and about 5 LPM from the oxycon. His comment was "well, hell, no wonder. You're not making beads, you're welding!

After turning the gas pressure to 4 psi, and using the oxycon at 8 LPM, I am now working with a nice balance of power from my torch. And, believe me, it has power!

One tip: the more hissing you get from the torch, the cooler it is running. The first thing that you will notice is that is extremely quiet. You will love that! You have to listed to hear the torch at all, but you can; the quieter it is the hotter it is running.

Keep in mind that this is a surface-mix torch. That means that the oxygen and the gas meet at the face of the torch, not in the inside. So, that being said, there is no need to worry about flashback, or needing a flashback arrestor.

Go slow at first. Move your glass in and out of the flame, even more that you do with your HH. Expect to lose control of some of your glass, especially white and ivory, because they turn into melted butter in front of the Mini. And, work about 4" away from the torch face.

You are going to have a world of fun with this! When you get used to what it will do, THEN, you can explore the world of striking and reducing glass, and Oh, My! You will never look back......

Desa

Old 2010-01-27, 10:00pm
*Desa Elliott*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Okay this post has me excited! I am creating a file for all these notes everyone. Thank you.

Saturday I will be renting time on a big girl torch to see what the heck this is all about. I have a feeling Saturday is going to be a big day for me..
Now, the biggest hint of the evening:

POOP. Propane on, Oxygen on. Oxygen off, Propane off. That is the formula for lighting and turning your torch off.

If you forget the order of that little phrase, and turn the oxy on first, lighting the torch gets really exciting.

Also, you only have to turn the knobs 1/4 or a turn, or thereabouts.

I wish you were closer! We could have so much fun!!!

Desa

G-88

Old 2010-01-31, 7:00pm
Jacqueline Parkes

GUESS WHAT??!!

After ten years on a hothead, I had my first try on a dual today. I rented two hours time and I had a blast! I found it very easy and I fell in love so fast.

I may be getting an oxycon sooner than I expected..........................

Oh why oh why didn't I do this sooner. I had never heard of an oxycon until I started whining with my lampwork woes a few weeks ago on here.

I owe you guys a lot.

Old 2010-01-31, 9:49pm
*Desa Elliott*

I am so glad that you had a good time!

G-88

Old 2010-01-31, 10:29pm
Never give up

Now you will be really cooking. It takes a little adjustment. I really don't think it will take you very long at all. Good thing you got your gas and everything going good. I remember when I got my setup, it was scary and so much fun. Just remember the poop and you will be just fine. Congrats.
Old 2010-01-31, 10:41pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

OOOH! I am giddy with excitement for you. I am so happy you have found something to keep you going. I love the cc, and I am confident you will get used to it real fast.