No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-14, 6:12pm
professional gimme fiver

Default ASK glass - still around?

I took an extended hiatus from torching, 2 1/2 years. When I started in '07 I bought some ASK glass. I don't see the brand name anywhere around anymore. Are they still making glass?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-14, 6:19pm
sunscreen me baby

Nope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Old 2010-05-14, 6:24pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Some of the colors are highly treasured too.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-05-14, 6:24pm

hey
the answer is yes and no
Yes they make a glass that is similar called Kuglar 104 most people don't think it is as good.
ask had issues with compatibility it don't like to be encased . silver rattan would not stand being under clear FOR ME anyway it took as much as month to C______ or sometimes it C_________ right away.
Old 2010-05-14, 6:26pm
*Desa Elliott*

Exclamation You can still find the glass, though!

ASK stands for Arrow Springs Kugler, and it was a co-operative effort by A.S. and Kugler to provide a line of glass. A.S did not continue with the effort for a variety of reasons, but Kugler still sells the glass on it's own. It is called Kugler Beadmaking Rod, and can be found at ABR Imagery. I use Silver Cinnamon, ( the ASK name), which is Silver Brown from Kugler. Another one of my favorites is Moroccan Swirl, which is Light Brown Swirl, or KG161 at ABR.

I hope this helps.

Desa

G-88
Creideamh, Sųil, Dėlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2010-05-14, 6:27pm
sunscreen me baby

Well I didn't know that! Do they still have a good red like the scarlet?

~

Old 2010-05-14, 6:29pm
*Desa Elliott*

I saw the Persimmon on the ABR website the last time I was checking it out....

G-88

Old 2010-05-14, 6:34pm

I wish I knew what clear would work with this glass it is beautiful with silver glass.
so many projects to try
Maybe using ask clear as a base would work?
Old 2010-05-14, 6:36pm
professional gimme fiver

Interesting info guys, thanks!

Old 2010-05-14, 6:37pm
*Desa Elliott*

Kugler has a clear, I think it is "Crysal". I have used it to encase DH silver glass with no problem, and it may encase the Kugler glasses since it is of the same manufacture. A test bead is always recommended!

I like the Crystal, BTW. It is really clear, and melts nicely. Good price, as well.

G-88

Old 2010-05-14, 6:56pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Arrow Springs still has ASK clear. I bought a bunch of ASK clear, but haven't worked with my remaining ASK in a long time and haven't tried the clear yet.

Old 2010-05-14, 9:36pm

Note about the ASK clear that Arrow Springs has: I bought a pound of it and there is a statement on the website that this clear is not compatible with other 104 COEs. I've actually had problems with it just on other ASK colors. The bundle of clear I received was mostly larger rods and most of the rods have scratches on them. I'm using the glass to practice with so it really hasn't been a bother to me, but I imagine it would be for those making beads for sale.
under construction -
Old 2010-05-14, 9:39pm

Yep! The ASK clear is not always compatible. It hates Ink Blue for sure. It's such a nice clear too.

Old 2010-05-15, 8:37am

But it is wonderful for sugar beads, when the frit is made from the same glass.
Joan
Old 2010-05-15, 10:22am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie_M View Post
Note about the ASK clear that Arrow Springs has: I bought a pound of it and there is a statement on the website that this clear is not compatible with other 104 COEs. I've actually had problems with it just on other ASK colors. The bundle of clear I received was mostly larger rods and most of the rods have scratches on them. I'm using the glass to practice with so it really hasn't been a bother to me, but I imagine it would be for those making beads for sale.
You can use the nice scratch free rods to make beads with transparent furnace glass frit on them. I've been doing it for years and never a problem with it because the furnace glass frit have some lead in them. I prefer to use the size #0 to be one the safe side, because #1 is too chunky. I use that with Uroboros clear.
Old 2010-05-15, 3:02pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Well, that's a shame that it even has problems with it's own brand. I can always try it underneath other ASK glass to see if that works.

Old 2010-05-16, 11:56pm

We have a few colors left and they are on sale until they are gone...

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-05-17, 2:40am

I just love some of the kugler colors and their clear is my favorite clear.
The silver brown and petrol are really awsome and their zart rosa gelb (light pink yellow) is a really nice skin colour.

R#115
Old 2010-05-17, 2:42am

...and you can buy it straight from Friedrich farbglashütte http://www.kuglercolors.de/beadmakin...ish/index.html

R#115
Old 2010-05-17, 7:59am

we do carry the full line of Kugler colors. We also do still have some of the old stuff in 2-4mm size.

we have a lot of people who consistently reorder and rave about silver cinnamon and rattan. we have them listed by the kugler item numbers, with a KG in front.

here's a link to them on our site.

Kugler Beadmaking Rod
http://www.dichroicimagery.com/index.php?cPath=430_527

CLEAR
http://www.dichroicimagery.com/advan...t45gjpernlovd2

OLD 2-4mm ASK color
http://www.dichroicimagery.com/index.php?cPath=430_210

Old 2010-05-20, 5:53am
professional gimme fiver

Just stumbled upon some ASK glass for sale on Nortel's website: http://www.nortelglass.com/_glassA.php

Old 2010-05-23, 5:18am

I just came across a nice stash of colors.....pineapple sparkle, tangerine sparkle, scarlett dreams, caramel apple, orange punch odd, lemon meringue, persimmon, brick red, clockwork and three or four colors that I can't quite figure out. One looks like the label says Lime Suede? Any ideas? It looks light blueish with a lime green core
Old 2010-05-23, 6:05am
sunscreen me baby

I don't know but about any Lime Suede, but now I want it

~

Old 2010-05-23, 6:48am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoonglow View Post
Just stumbled upon some ASK glass for sale on Nortel's website: http://www.nortelglass.com/_glassA.php
I'd be curious to know if they are actually in stock since there is no online ordering option.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-23, 6:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I'd be curious to know if they are actually in stock since there is no online ordering option.
I suspect not.
Old 2010-05-23, 6:54am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice1967 View Post
I just came across a nice stash of colors.....pineapple sparkle, tangerine sparkle, scarlett dreams, caramel apple, orange punch odd, lemon meringue, persimmon, brick red, clockwork and three or four colors that I can't quite figure out. One looks like the label says Lime Suede? Any ideas? It looks light blueish with a lime green core
Where exactly did you find this stash?

Scarlett Dreams, Caramel Apple and Persimmon are ASK colors, quite hard to find if they are the originals.

Pineapple Sparkle, Tangerine Sparkle, Orange Punch and Lemon Meringue are Vetrofond colors, and the last three are currently available.

Clockwork is a CiM Color, also currently available,

Brick Red and Lime Suede sound really interesting but don't ring a bell.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox