Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-24, 8:42am
Loving learning

And remember that you can buy glass there, and compared to the cost of getting there & the class, etc. the $1 a rod you pay for most colors is a drop in the bucket if you need to fill in with more rods. I brought a lot of glass, but still ended up not having all the colors I needed & never touched some of what I brought, and bought about 8 rods of colors I didn't bring. So bring what you think you'll use, and just figure on buying anything else you end up needing.
I'm assuming you'll be doing some encasing and will need clear, but it's hard to guess for the rest. If you have some premium colors you like to use, maybe bring a little of that?
Old 2013-11-24, 12:21pm

Oh, I fully expect to buy some glass - if only because nobody sells glass rods around here! - but I'm just trying to figure out the balance. I'm having a lot of fun now with Raku and other striking/reducing colors, so I'll bring a little along just in case.
Old 2013-11-24, 12:51pm
Loving learning

And I just wanted to say, I was exactly the same, so know just what you mean. But whatever you bring or don't bring, just know you're going to have a great time being with a group of people who are excited by the same things, know your language, and are just as hyped at being there as you are! I just wish I was going too!
Old 2013-11-24, 4:57pm
Happiness is....

take some return address labels to tag your new tools, they stay on for years and no one will claim them as theirs. If something does get mixed up, it's easy to id who's it is and send it off in the mail to them.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2013-11-24, 5:08pm
Loving learning

Great idea!
Old 2013-11-25, 12:56pm

I am taking Corina's class as well. Very excited. I'm driving up from Naples. Where are you from in Minnesota? I spend the summer in northern Minnesota. I've heard great things about Beadcamp and I'm so looking forward to the class.
Old 2013-11-25, 1:09pm

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadIt View Post
I am taking Corina's class as well. Very excited. I'm driving up from Naples. Where are you from in Minnesota? I spend the summer in northern Minnesota. I've heard great things about Beadcamp and I'm so looking forward to the class.
Where in northern Minnesota do you summer? Karen
Old 2013-11-25, 1:23pm

It's a small town called Sturgeon Lake. It's about 1/2 hour south of Cloquet and an hour south of Duluth.
Old 2013-11-25, 1:37pm
Angie09

I took Corina's class, and if it hasn't changed, you don't need much glass at all. Bring the basics black ... (Corina likes Effetre) white and clear. If you really need something that they don't GIVE you, you can buy it from Marley or Corina. And, save some money for Corina's tools she sells! I bought her mashers and love them.

Again, it's been over a year since I took the class so these are the basics back then. It is an incredible learning experience, Corina's a doll and Marley and Jetze open their home to you so generously. And I would say .... don't compare your skills with your neighbors! You are there to learn regardless of your skill level. Oh...and have FUN!!!
Old 2013-11-25, 3:18pm

I'm in southern MN, about half an hour south of Cities suburbia in Northfield. I do try to get Up North as much as possible, though!
Old 2013-11-29, 9:15am

Because I'm driving up to Beadcamp I know I will bring more stuff than needed. I would rather have too much than not enough. I'm sure I'll still buy glass when I'm there. I can never resist!

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Old 2013-11-29, 4:45pm

Flying in on Monday for two back-to-back classes with Corina! There has to be a better word than "excited"!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara

Last edited by 28676bhe; 2013-12-01 at 12:08am.
Old 2013-11-30, 10:05pm

Smile

Angie, Does Corina accept credit cards at bead camp for her tools? I'd like to try her small masher to see if it's comfortable. The huge mashers that I have are too big and hard on my hands. I also have her small brass shaper but don't have much luck using it. Does she have tools for us to try out before buying or for those of us who bought them and don't know how to use them.

Looks like there are at least 4 of us from LE who will be in Corina's beginning class and one who will be in 2 classes - wow! It'll be fun to finally meet folks who have been a name or series of numbers here on LE. This really is like a big family of people with similar interests and who are kind and generous in sharing information and helping others.

Bead camp is going to be terrific. I was a bit afraid that I'd be with folks who are far better and more experienced lampworkers but Eileen was very encouraging when she said that there is no pressure to perform well from the teachers or others. Lydia from central Virginia
Old 2013-11-30, 10:27pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Is there a course description or project list...might help you decide on colors....if making beach beads the colors would be different than say desert tones.....I'd check with corina or the hosts.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-30, 11:18pm

I don't really have any tools I use past tweezers and marver, do I have nothing to bring. Really looking forward to trying out new things!
Old 2014-02-17, 6:15pm
Heart of Flame

Does anyone know if Beadcamp has Internet access? I am coming from Canada and would like to facetime with my family so am wondering if they have WiFi?

I am so excited - thanks for all the tips above!

Old 2014-02-17, 6:18pm
Melody of Glass

Yes, they have internet access. Have fun!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-02-17, 6:18pm
Loving learning

They do, I saw people using it. They had a code you had to get from them to type in I think.
Old 2014-02-17, 6:25pm

Yes, the hosts will give you the password for wifi. You'll have a great time. I was there in December for Corina's class and hope to be able to go back soon!
Old 2014-02-17, 6:55pm

I'm taking bead camp in PA in June. How much glass should I be taking? I'm driving so space isn't a big deal. Glad this thread got started.....I wouldn't have even thought about taking anything but my didi's, thinking cost included supplies.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2014-02-17, 7:17pm

For the actual Beadcamp in Florida (not just a camp for beadmaking) you really don't need to bring anything. All of the tools you could possibly need are available for your use. Corina also brought tons of her tools so we could give them a try. Glass is also available. I drove so I brought my own glass (way too much), but I wouldn't bother to bring any if I were flying. It's easier to just purchase what you need.
Old 2014-02-17, 7:53pm

Oops! Just realized that I forgot to say you do need to bring your didi's to Beadcamp.
Old 2014-02-17, 7:56pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Yep! Bring your didyms and your favorite tools. You'll have a great time!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...