Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-08-09, 5:21pm
Melt That Glass

Default Studio and ventilation

HI All,

I'm sure this is a tired subject for most of you here, but I am finally able to set up a studio in one of the bedrooms of my house. Propane and Oxygen will be located elsewhere and piped to the room. I am planning to set up my torching area in the closet of that room (once the back wall is insulated and covered in metal) and want to vent up thru the ceiling of that closet into the unused attic of the house. We are putting up extra turbins on the roof to increase the circulation in that area. The attic is a closed off area that no one ever goes into.

My plan is to lower the the ceiling level of the closet area to about 65 inches and put in an exhaust system. I have read the other thread that says 350-500 cfm is needed, and this is what is planned. Do I also need to put up a hood in this area or will the enclosed closet area be sufficient.

Everyone here is great with their advise, so am hoping someone will let me know if my plan is do-able...

Thanks for all advise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Knight Bullet, 2 cons and tanked
Old 2007-08-09, 5:39pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammaws View Post
HI All,

I'm sure this is a tired subject for most of you here, but I am finally able to set up a studio in one of the bedrooms of my house. Propane and Oxygen will be located elsewhere and piped to the room. I am planning to set up my torching area in the closet of that room (once the back wall is insulated and covered in metal) and want to vent up thru the ceiling of that closet into the unused attic of the house. We are putting up extra turbins on the roof to increase the circulation in that area. The attic is a closed off area that no one ever goes into.

My plan is to lower the the ceiling level of the closet area to about 65 inches and put in an exhaust system. I have read the other thread that says 350-500 cfm is needed, and this is what is planned. Do I also need to put up a hood in this area or will the enclosed closet area be sufficient.

Everyone here is great with their advise, so am hoping someone will let me know if my plan is do-able...

Thanks for all advise.

No-No-No....... DO not vent into attic...Period!...

IF you are going to effort to put in extra turbines , just run duct from hood/blower directly outside... Even though attic is minimum access you will contaminant whole areas with toxic metals and hazardously by products from torch combustion and no matter how good you home is built there are drafts from attic that carry these things into ever portion of your house....

Only by direct venting exhaust outside is nature and natural air flows able to dilute and break down these hazardous products....

A hood is a good idea as it helps to trap the flame plume and direct it into blower so it can be expelled directly outside directly outside.

Also what is your options for make up air.. For ever cubic foot of air you pull out of room with blower, you need to replace it with a cubic foot of fresh air...

Blowers size will depend on hood size, duct size and how long duct run is and how may turns it takes...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-08-09, 7:11pm
Melt That Glass

Default more questions

Would it work to vent the exhaust out one of the turbines? They have not been installed yet so if possible, it would be great to do it before we put on the new roof.

What is a good way to replace the air? There is a window in the room, but in the winter time, it will get a bit chilly.

Thanks

Old 2007-08-09, 7:19pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Yes you can use one of the turbine cutout in roof... Just treat any other vent ( like for furnace) put approved rain hat on top and be happy... 8 inch duct would probably be good.....

You can just drop it through roof and have roof job completed and do the connect up from your hood and blower later... A little bracing in attic may keeping it from falling through...

Make up air is any source of fresh air from outside. One thing to consider is to ducting it in to studio and bringing it up up through bench top so it us under torch and not pulling a lot of your warn air out of room....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=150

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-08-10 at 7:55am.
Old 2007-08-09, 8:12pm
Melt That Glass

Thank you Dale for all your advise. This helps my husband alot with the plans.