LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-01-24, 1:13pm

Default Combining hard and soft glass...

Hello.
I'm sure there must be a couple people out there who have posted on this, I have not found it in search yet, so I will post about it.

I see endless information out there about hard glass and soft glass.
I know about how it is difficult to impossible to properly join the two, have them last till they are out of the kiln, and have any durability whatsoever over time.
- However, there should be more than one way to "join" them.

I was hoping to keep this as one of my secrets, but I'm sure people are working with this idea in general, so I may not add anything truly new here, but let's see...

Hard and soft glass obviously have differences regarding temperature(s).
I assume that hard glass and soft glass would also cool at different rates.
I assume that one will likely contract/expand more than the other under different circumstances -these are among the problems, but are also the solution.
If glass (A) will shrink more than glass (B), upon cooling, you could put one inside the other, and if you allow for needed tolerances, and can do so very closely, then the two will sandwich together enough to stay put and not move or rattle, etc. This allows for combining techniques that would be otherwise incompatible in the same object, and other possibilities.

Although crude, there is also using the glass cork method, such as in old bottles, where say, a pipe might be in two pieces joined or separated when needed for any reason. This way the bowl end of the pipe can be pyrex, while the 'stem' or rest of the pipe can be soft glass.

I am curious about any other techniques of any kind that have been proven over time. Thank you.
Old 2016-01-24, 5:06pm

Scientists have tried since Pyrex first came onto the market many decades ago. And its an often-asked question. Its more than just cooling properties, its also to do with the chemical properties of glass. Soft and hard glass even weigh differently.

Some glassblowers rely on this property to help them identify any batches of mystery glass in their stores by combining the two and seeing the reaction on cooling. There are several articles out there on this very thing, from University studies to a report by Bullseye Glass. I suggest you start reading those if you wish to pursue your ideas further to understand fully the chemical properties of glass, and why they do what they do when cooling down.

You may be able to, in rare cases, apply a thin layer of 90 COE to 104 COE, but that takes a lot of patience. But generally, no, you cannot combine hard and soft glass except by the method you've mentioned. Of course, this isn't new either, some artists have done this for the last 30 years, especially in the smoke-ware and artistic area and is certainly never seen as 'crude'

You will find in the world of glass that for the last 3000 years we've experimented and pushed ourselves and our medium to see what else it can do. At the moment there is a trend in some circles to see exactly what other inclusions can be encased within glass, so lots of experiments are continuing.

I know any 'new' idea I may have has most likely already been done by someone else 20 years ago or more in a different way. However, just because that happens doesn't mean you should stop pursuing your own ideas, just push that envelope a little more
Old 2016-01-24, 5:35pm

pipe might be in two pieces joined or separated when needed for any reason. This way the bowl end of the pipe can be pyrex, while the 'stem' or rest of the pipe can be soft glass.

screw it in
Old 2016-01-25, 12:40am

Check out whats known as a gradient seal.

Tags
combining, contract, cork, diy, hard, incompatible, joined, joining, shrink, soft