Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-05-26, 8:48am

Default Vent-A-Fume systems

Anyone have any feedback on this company and their products. They offer Ready made ventilation systems both portable and fixed. I have priced similar components elsewhere and their pricing seems reasonable. The FE-800 seems just right for my garage application.

http://www.ventafume.com/content/pages/place-a-vent
Old 2011-05-26, 7:57pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I have never seen the product and do not have any more information than what you have posted (the link). What bothers me a lot is their CFM values, all though they look very good, if they are the ratings of the fan/blower units they are probably solid numbers, but the flex accordion droopy duct is so much restrictive to air flow (static pressure) I have to wonder if the numbers are actually correct measured at "funnel" opening...

By shortening down flex duct to as short a run as practical may increase efficiency, but its something you would have to work with and do some real testing....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-05-31, 4:21am
old fart

this type of ventilation works great, but it is very very expensive. and the high cfm values requires and equal amount of makeup air so your heating and AC costs for your studio will be very high.

Old 2011-05-31, 7:28am

If you price everything out with comparable new parts, these begin to look reasonably priced. I am comparing to new because I do not have a source for used equipment and really dont want to make a career out of sourcing and building. I priced new inline fans in the 800 CFM range and they are $350-$400. That price is just for the fan and does not include any mounting, ducting, or manifold for outlet and inlet. The 800+ CFM system from these guys is $500. What am I missing, Mark?
Old 2011-05-31, 9:41am

I had one of those made for a large glass kiln, and it was very solid, worked great. I didn't use most of the length of flexible ducting, as the kiln was close to the wall. It can easily be attached to a length of solid furnace ducting to keep the CFM up. The people were great to work with, as this was a custom sized kiln vent, and they did a fantastic job.
Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2011-05-31, 9:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotflashwanda View Post
I had one of those made for a large glass kiln, and it was very solid, worked great. I didn't use most of the length of flexible ducting, as the kiln was close to the wall. It can easily be attached to a length of solid furnace ducting to keep the CFM up. The people were great to work with, as this was a custom sized kiln vent, and they did a fantastic job.
Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Thanks, Anita! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Old 2011-06-01, 5:29am
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
If you price everything out with comparable new parts, these begin to look reasonably priced. I am comparing to new because I do not have a source for used equipment and really dont want to make a career out of sourcing and building. I priced new inline fans in the 800 CFM range and they are $350-$400. That price is just for the fan and does not include any mounting, ducting, or manifold for outlet and inlet. The 800+ CFM system from these guys is $500. What am I missing, Mark?
the systems i have seen were over $1000. if you can get one for $500 that is pretty good. but i spent less than $200 on my ventilation hood and fan combined. then i spent the extra $300 to build a kiln and buy a torch.

Old 2011-06-18, 5:43pm

Ordered the 815 CFM system which showed up this week. Finally had a chance to install it and add on 12 feet of 8" hard ducting. Haven't had a chance to torchwork yet or to find some incense sticks or smoke bombs but I did turn on the propane on the torch with the system running and I could not detect any Mercaptan odor at all sitting 6 inches behind the torch face. I also managed by accident to suck a plastic grocery bag into the funnel and completely through the 20+ feet of ducting where it stuck to the inlet screen on the fan All in all quite a productive Saturday. When I get a chance Ill post some pictures.
Old 2011-06-18, 6:40pm

Larry, it sounds like it's going to work.
Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2011-06-24, 11:42pm

System works well. Would purchase from them again and recommend them without reservation.
Old 2011-07-26, 1:33pm

Hi Larry-
Could you post a pic of your set-up?

thanks-
Ana
Old 2011-07-26, 2:05pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
I also managed by accident to suck a plastic grocery bag into the funnel and completely through the 20+ feet of ducting where it stuck to the inlet screen on the fan

Nice! It sounds like it is going to work!!

Old 2011-08-22, 9:58am
Just at the begining

Quote:
Ordered the 815 CFM system which showed up this week. Finally had a chance to install it and add on 12 feet of 8" hard ducting. Haven't had a chance to torchwork yet or to find some incense sticks or smoke bombs but I did turn on the propane on the torch with the system running and I could not detect any Mercaptan odor at all sitting 6 inches behind the torch face. I also managed by accident to suck a plastic grocery bag into the funnel and completely through the 20+ feet of ducting where it stuck to the inlet screen on the fan All in all quite a productive Saturday. When I get a chance Ill post some pictures.
I did this once, I was working on a ventilation system at a local mall, and it sucked my blue print in, had to go up on the roof and unclog it from the fan, then had to explain to my boss why I needed a new blueprint.
Old 2011-08-22, 2:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDeM View Post
I did this once, I was working on a ventilation system at a local mall, and it sucked my blue print in, had to go up on the roof and unclog it from the fan, then had to explain to my boss why I needed a new blueprint.
I guess some of us (myself included) have to learn the hard way, huh?
Old 2011-08-22, 3:48pm

By the way, this system is working very well. No complaints.
Old 2012-03-11, 5:52pm

Default Vent a Fume System

Hi Larry,
I was watching this thread because I'm redoing my little studio and need new ventilation.
Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Have you had any issues with this system?
Is it very loud?
Any tips you can give?

Thanks so much.
Suzanne
Old 2012-03-11, 8:53pm

Beeun running for almost a year with it. Quiet, efficient, etc. I have plans to add a hood when i get a chance but the funnel has been sufficient. I will post pics when i get a chance.