Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-25, 8:15am

Default stamping on beads

Does anyone know if you can use metal stamps on beads? If so what kind and where can you buy them.
Thanks Anb
Old 2011-09-25, 9:05am

Yes they are brass. Many places sell them. I think Catwalk, Zoozi, Jim Moore
Old 2011-09-25, 12:52pm
sunscreen me baby

You can also use wax stamps (brass) Make sure they aren't little textured discs glued onto the handle (ask me how I know, lol)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-09-25, 3:00pm

I've successfully used the larger (3mm) metal letter stamps
Old 2011-09-25, 3:05pm
Glass-aholic

leather crafting stamps work well too, and you can get them at any major craft store. You can find other patterns online for specific patterns or designs They are nice because they are usually steel and come with a nice long handle.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-09-26, 11:11am

Does anyone have pictures of their finished stamped beads?
Old 2011-09-29, 10:38am
Mary Lockwood

I use the leather stamps. The selection is amazing, but be careful shopping online. Keep a ruler next to you so you can accurately imagine the size you're purchasing. I bought some once and when they arrived were way smaller than I expected. I'll see if I have any pictures.

Old 2011-09-29, 10:45am
Mary Lockwood

K, found one. This is a raven I made and stamped the celtic knotwork leather stamps (by tandy) onto the wings.

~~Mary

Old 2011-09-29, 10:49am

Mary that's a beautiful effect!

Gorgeous bead also!
Old 2011-09-29, 5:03pm
Glass-aholic

Nice !

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-09-30, 5:16pm

I have a collection of brass stamps from Karen Leonardo--they are great! Check 'em out at Leonardolampwork.com.

Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2011-09-30, 9:23pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
K, found one. This is a raven I made and stamped the celtic knotwork leather stamps (by tandy) onto the wings.

~~Mary
Ooooo, love it!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-09-30, 9:28pm
I speak Murrini!

And I just remembered this great Tutorial! I still have some shim lying around...really MUST give this a try!!! http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=glass+stamp

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-10-01, 4:09pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

~~Mary
I LOVE this Mary.....such a great idea!!
Now to find my leather stamps....

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-10-01, 7:54pm
Mary Lockwood

Wow, thanks you guys. When I first made that and listed it it took a long time to sell. I thought maybe nobody liked it as much as I did so I never made anymore. Perhaps I should rethink that. LOL

Anyway, I came back here to show this one because I just made it yesterday. The fanned out bit is made with a leather stamp.

Old 2011-10-02, 6:46am
Growing Edge Glass

Mary..I'm surprised that the Raven took a while to sell....I just love the wings and that berry in it's mouth.

I love the new bead above too....very organic and the stamp makes such a great design...thanks so much for sharing the idea and your work...it's beautiful!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-10-02, 11:13pm

I love them both, the raven and the new green/brown bead! Amazing work, I can't imagine being able to control the glass well enough to achieve that berry in the raven's beak lol!

I've made copper and brass shapes with wire that I've used to stamp into beads. It works really well, though it's better if you insulate the handles a bit, since they get hot very quickly!
Old 2011-10-10, 4:56am
Custom Imprint tools

Default Leonardo Brass Imprint Tool Stamps

Thanks Anita. Just wanted to let you all know I have brand new imprint stamps for autumn and also 2 styles of paw prints and a peace sign. You can find them here. Photos of bead samples on website.

http://www.leonardolampwork.com/leon...-and-tools.htm
They are made from brass and do not need any bees wax or do not leave black marks in your beads as some metals may do. I have a special running right now on the tools till Oct 18th.

Please look for Leonardo Lampwork on Facebook for details or email me at beads@ptd.net

Here are a few samples of the new tools.

Thanks,

Karen Leonardo
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-10, 6:38am

Karen - I love the headpins you made with these, especially the pumpkin and leaf! Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2011-10-10, 6:40am
Lampworkaholic!

I went to the hardware store and found some brass drawer knobs with interesting patterns. I used a long screw as a handle.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-10-10, 6:42am

Great idea, now that you mention it I have some very interesting knobs from Pottery Barn. Jeri

Old 2011-10-10, 6:46am
Custom Imprint tools

Thanks Jeri. I am hoping to make a nice quality line of imprint stamps that will last a lifetime. I have now find a guy to do them without them ending up the price of the brass presses and not having to order 500 pieces at a time. I hope there is interest in them. I am having fun with them. What are you working on lately? You always inspire me.

Great idea Erose...I will have to go check out the designs on the door knobs.

Old 2011-10-10, 6:54am

Hi Karen! Sadly I have been struggling with a neck injury and so haven't been torching except for when I teach. I'm slowly getting better, so this isn't permanent and I have a flat lap that calls my name!! During this time, I have been playing with faux bone and some resin, just so I can keep my creative juices flowing. I took the Robert Dancik class at the Gathering and that helped!! Remember to stand up and stretch between beads!! Jeri

Old 2011-10-10, 7:29am
state-eternal change

Sorry to hear you're not feeling too well, Jeri! Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Old 2011-10-10, 7:35am
Custom Imprint tools

I am glad it is not permanent Jeri. I was dealing with back issues for awhile and wasn't torching much. I started to slowly exercise and went into Zumba classes and my back doesn't bother me anymore. I hope your neck is better soon.

On a good note: I've been enjoying your latest book. Read it from cover to cover. It is such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your work with us