Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-11-07, 8:29am

Default Must Have Boro colors

Hi everyone! I know this has probably surfaced here before but I couldn't find it. Besides, I'm not that familiar with all the boro colors and there's too many possibilities for a poll so what are the must haves in your boro collection?

Thanks

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-07, 9:03am

all the amber purples, loki's lipstick and slime are my favorites (when working on tanked oxy) and i've had great luck with the crayon colors with oxycons.
Old 2012-11-07, 9:11am

The ones I am currently out of. Triple Passion, Amber Purple and Paparazzi. Since I'm out of them I'm being forced to use the gazillion other colors of glass I have plus some weirdo Pyrex that likes to turn silver glass green. It's been an interesting day so far.
Oh, add a white to that. I like china white but whatever.

Old 2012-11-07, 10:15am

oh yea, forgot to mention china while. you actually have to try to boil it!
Old 2012-11-07, 10:18am
Now part of the Dark Side

Amber Purple, Double Amber Purple, Mega Mai Tai, Red Elvis, NS Star White, NS Onyx.
Old 2012-11-07, 11:04am

all of them
Old 2012-11-07, 11:14am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Be very careful of the greens. Most work well outside but not many work well inside. Whites are also problematic. Some boil just looking at them and others will tolerate more abuse.
PJ
Old 2012-11-08, 6:18am
Pyromaniac

Clear! It's the most important "color"!

That said, here is my beginner's (and mostly essentials) recommendations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Short color List for a beginner:

* NS Amber Purple & Double Amber Purple
* NS Loki's Lipstick
* NS Blue/Red/Green Exotic
* NS Multi
* NS Turquesa
* NS Butterscotch & Caramel (Caramel is a stronger version of Butterscotch) *
* NS Blue Moon
NS Pomegranate or TAG Elvis (self-striking red with long working tolerance) - layer it over white (or even clear) for a lighter red
NS Onyx (very tolerant black)
TAG Blue Stardust for some sparkle - layer it over lighter colors - like butterscotch or star white.
* NS Mystery Adventurine for some more sparkle with silver color change fun - layer it like blue stardust or just use it as is for a darker effect
NS Star White (a bit more advanced - use less heat as it can boil until it is fully melted in, and even then you should baby it)
NS Lava or Goldenrod or Poppy or Cherry (more advanced - prone to boiling if not handled very carefully - but beautiful and worth the effort)

* Try CLEAR frit/dots/stringer/skip-tracing on these colors for interesting results. For more dramatic results reduce after melting in the clear. The colors without a * are more "WYSIWYG", though you can try clear on them too if you'd like.

You will quickly learn that a great many colors are members of the Amber Purple family, with similar working constraints and some modifications. Loki's lipstick is a good example of this.
I kept it to Northstar colors for simplicity - GA has near-equivalents of most of these colors but I don't know their names in many cases. GA Solara is actually one of my favorites, but I had to draw the line somewhere

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-11-09, 3:01pm

That's a great list Chris! My favs are NS's Amber Purple, Loki's Lipstick, Pomegrante, & Blue Moon; Momka Stormy Weather and Purple Thunder; GA's Paparazzi and Peacock Chameleon; and TAG's Blue Stardust (love this layered over White!).

Just started playing with some of the new GA sparkle colors and I suspect I'll be adding some of those to my "must have" list!

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2012-11-17, 11:05am

double amber purple, red elvis, mystery adventurine, caramel, blue moon, ninja black, star white, silver creek, silver tears(momka), blue lightning, stormy weather, purple luster, aquatic carnival(frit)
Old 2012-11-19, 8:10pm
Bead semi-newbie

just encased a wonderful crayon color light purple and put it in a clear tube first since crayon colors can be cranky - apparently. worked like a charm. nicely encased and no burn out trouble. now, what was that color??? old now.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-12-05, 4:10am

i agree with chris many of the colors are very similar and could be substituted for one another , depending on how they are worked they can appear identical.

my first choices would be : carmel/butterscotch,aqua azul,lokis lipstick,double amber purps,raven,turbo cobalt,dark red elvis.chinese white tube melt down

when money opens up i would add these colors: mai tai (needs alot of kiln striking ) ,mega mai tai ,slyme,heavy blue leprechaun, tag apricot, root beer (works great under amber striking colors),cinnamon,steel wool, chinese amber, trautman green x,orange elvis,northstar exp #5,tree hugger,the GA crayon line , rasta gold crayon or any other crayons, acid yellow, red crayon etc. lapis (very stiff) ,peacock,really tealy, black pearl ,tag mango,tag pink Cadillac,tag mighty moss,lock ness,
Old 2012-12-09, 9:18pm
Flamewoman

I just thought I might add a note about chinese white, it is better to heat it up
and pre mix it before using it. It will be smoother and easier to work.Only white I
use anymore. I also find each batch of it I buy is a little different.
Another favorite of mine is Ruby Strike 4, and Jet black for bails on pendants.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2012-12-26, 5:03am
kiwi ( new zealand)

i cart live with out Aurora Trails & Infinity
from Momka
Old 2013-01-16, 12:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraconklin View Post
just encased a wonderful crayon color light purple and put it in a clear tube first since crayon colors can be cranky - apparently. worked like a charm. nicely encased and no burn out trouble. now, what was that color??? old now.
Do you think it was Wisteria?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid