Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2011-01-22, 11:01pm

Default Astrid teaching in US March 12-13 2011

Astrid is coming from South Africa to the United States and will be teaching at The Gathering Place Studio March 12th and 13th! Web site is now up and registration can start! Go to www.beadrepublic.com for details! Now this is really news! If anyone has any images of her beads, please help me post them!
http://beadrepublic.com/BeadRepublic/Astrid_Riedel.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-23, 8:42am

Smile

That is so AWESOME, Astrid! So happy you hooked up with Portia for a workshop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-23, 9:25pm
Addicted to Frit!!!

What a combo: Astrid at Portia's studio--I can't wait!!! I have been admiring Astrids beads for a LONG while now.
Taking a class at Portia's is awesome, if you haven't signed up yet...run to her site.

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Last edited by rkoza; 2011-01-25 at 12:48pm.
Old 2011-01-23, 11:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by portia View Post
Astrid is coming from South Africa to the United States and will be teaching at The Gathering Place Studio March 12th and 13th! Web site is now up and registration can start! Go to www.beadrepublic.com for details! Now this is really news! If anyone has any images of her beads, please help me post them!
http://beadrepublic.com/BeadRepublic/Astrid_Riedel.html
Portia, I regularly check your class listings and your site hasn't changed this listing since 2009. Perhaps an updated list of who will be teaching there this year would be a great help.
Thanks

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2011-01-23, 11:57pm

Hi Phyllis,
Thanks so much for your comments... I have been working overtime to do my own new website and it is www.BeadRepublic.com. I haven't figured out yet how to point my old site to the new one but if you go directly to www.BeadRepublic.com it is up and running for sure as people have been registering already today. I'll try to figure out how to direct it tomorrow. My husband thinks I'm dead and gone every time I go to the apple store, because I take so long! This link should take you directly to the workshop page:
http://www.beadrepublic.com/BeadRepublic/Workshops.html
Hope this helps!
Portia
Old 2011-01-24, 4:57am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Here are some of the beads we will be doing

Hope to see you soon
Astrid

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2011-01-24, 9:00am

You guys are in for a real treat!
Old 2011-01-24, 10:18am

Yeah!!! Can't wait for a class with Astrid and taking a class at Portia's is a wonderful experience. She is the perfect hostess and treats you like a queen! I highly recommend it.

Kathie

Old 2011-01-24, 10:54pm

This is the best news I've heard in a long time!

Portia- I sent you a pm

Jennifer
Old 2011-01-25, 12:33pm
Detail G-Mama!

That's awesome that she is able to teach here in the US, wish I was closer!

Old 2011-01-25, 4:34pm

Astrid or Portia
Can you please tell me how advanced this class would be?
Old 2011-01-25, 6:18pm
grama punky - class junky

Hi- sent Portia a msg couple days ago but havent heard back yet. Maybe better to post here. . Does Astrid work in boro or soft? I have only used 104 so wonder if would be appropriate one for me. I like everyone else, LOVE Astrids beads. I am scheduled for a trip to St. Thomas in March but may give that up to come to Astrids class!

Old 2011-01-25, 6:30pm

Hi Donna- I do believe Astrid uses 104. Lots of silver glass, my favorite. I am planning to attend her workshop and can't wait!
Old 2011-01-25, 7:38pm
grama punky - class junky

Thanks Jennilee! I may just have to attend too....

Old 2011-01-25, 10:13pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

Glasslass2,
It will be intermediate, besides the new techniques you will learn, you learn to have more HEAT control especially for stringer application on murrinis and beads.
I think this is a foundation for everything we do with glass.

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2011-01-28, 11:14am

Hi Donna, Back in town now! For sure it is 104 glass, and it is amazing what Astrid can make that 104 glass do! Thanks for posting the pictures, Astrid. I can hardly wait! Does anyone have any suggestions for things for Astrid to do and see since we want to show her a good time in the United States, and it is an incredibly long journey to get here! All suggestions welcome!

Old 2011-01-29, 9:45am

Default Hotel

Portia
Am so excited to have signed up for this class. Never been to Chicago and need some guidance on a hotel please.
Thanks
Nohline
Old 2011-01-29, 5:50pm

Hi Nothling, I will work on some hotel discounts on Monday but there are quite a few close to us including Fairfield, Mariott Courtyard, holiday Inn and more... More on Monday.
We're in Naperville Illinois.
Portia

Old 2011-01-29, 9:22pm

Thanks Portia - really excited about this! But then I checked the weather! Yikes - Us sunshine folks are going to be praying for warm weather - Astrid too - Oh well - I will suffer for the class. Talk to you on Monday. Nohline
QUOTE=portia;3384164]Hi Nothling, I will work on some hotel discounts on Monday but there are quite a few close to us including Fairfield, Mariott Courtyard, holiday Inn and more... More on Monday.
We're in Naperville Illinois.
Portia[/quote]
Old 2011-02-07, 12:20pm

Hi Portia,

I wanted to call your studio to just get some info on your location, more about Astrid's class etc... I can't seem to find a telephone number to contact you. Is there someplace where info is listed that I may just be overlooking?

Thanks,
Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-02-07, 5:57pm

Hi everybody,

Portia contacted me right away and let me know that she fixed the problem on her site of having no contact information. I signed up for the class!! WooHoo!! This will be my first travel class ever. How could I resist taking a class with Astrid? I am really looking forward to this!

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-02-07, 6:03pm

Hi Portia! Have you had a chance to contact any hotels?

Does anyone else know where they are staying yet? I'm thinking that I better make reservations soon!

Jennifer
Old 2011-02-07, 11:37pm

I have not reAlly had the time to research this yet, but need to do something this week. I did look up the downtown area and it looks really cute!
Nohline
Old 2011-02-08, 1:45pm

Hi everyone,
I have put contact information on the website www.thegatheringplacestudio.com and www.beadrepublic.com and also a list of some of the hotels in the area. They are all in sort of the same area, and about a 10 or 12 minute drive. (Less than 5 miles away)
Getting really excited. Any interest in going into the city of Chicago by train for the day?

Old 2011-02-08, 7:06pm

Oh I would! I was hoping on getting into town on Thrusday evening and so would have Friday free! Anyone else available? When does Astrid arrive?

Thanks for the Hotel info. Will look at it tonight. Where are you other ladies thinking of staying?

Nohline

Last edited by Nohline; 2011-02-08 at 7:08pm. Reason: Adding to post
Old 2011-02-08, 7:18pm

Anyone want to share a hotel? I can't wait!! I think I'll be arriving on Friday, late afternoon.

Mary
Old 2011-02-09, 11:21am

Hi

I will probably arrive on Friday. I am open to sharing a room, but most important I am worried about the car situation. I am pretty much freaking at the thought of driving around Chicago. Aaaakkkk!!!!! I know, I know, what a "tiddy mouse"!
I figure I can catch a shuttle from the airport to a hotel, but then I was wondering if I can share expenses with someone on a rental car if they are willing to drive this big weenie to the class and back each day. I am willing to get my room wherever you are staying so it would be less hassle for you. Just pm me if anyone is interested. (thought I would be pathetic and throw that in.)

Thanks,
Jeannie

Old 2011-02-09, 11:12pm

Jeannie sent you a PM about sharing hotel and car. I am sure that we can take a couple of the other attendees if they are interested? Let's may be get a list going here of who is flying in and staying at hotels.

1. Nohline
2. Jeannie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsky View Post
Hi

I will probably arrive on Friday. I am open to sharing a room, but most important I am worried about the car situation. I am pretty much freaking at the thought of driving around Chicago. Aaaakkkk!!!!! I know, I know, what a "tiddy mouse"!
I figure I can catch a shuttle from the airport to a hotel, but then I was wondering if I can share expenses with someone on a rental car if they are willing to drive this big weenie to the class and back each day. I am willing to get my room wherever you are staying so it would be less hassle for you. Just pm me if anyone is interested. (thought I would be pathetic and throw that in.)

Thanks,
Jeannie

Last edited by Nohline; 2011-02-09 at 11:13pm. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 2011-02-12, 6:05am

I'm driving and staying in a hotel. Would love a roomie!

Portia,
Should we bring glass?

Thanks,
Mary
Old 2011-02-12, 8:12am

Hi Mary,

Nohline and I are already going to share a room. But which hotel are you going to stay in? It might be nice if all of us were kind of in the same area. Did you find a hotel that you thought might be better than the others? I have been looking at reviews on the different hotels, and it seems like someone has something to say bad about each hotel. (That always seems to be the case about anything you start looking into.) I think Nohline and I agree that we don't care where we stay as long as it is clean!

I will be looking forward to meeting you,
Jeannie