Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2012-12-23, 8:41am

Thumbs up Scuola Bubacco presents to you our April 2013 workshop

Spring, 2013 Lucio Bubacco Workshop in Murano, Italy

Ciao tutti! It is my great pleasure to announce that Lucio has asked me to coordinate another workshop for him this coming spring of 2013.

The date: Starting Monday, April 22nd through Friday, April 26th for a 5 day workshop of off mandrel study.
Cost: $1680US includes materials used in class and a light lunch
Class hours start 9:30AM to 5:30PMish

Housing: I can help you coordinate renting studio apartments in Murano. The price is $55US per person in a two person accommodation. Or I can give you other venues to look into and see if you want to arrange your own stay.

The focus of the workshop is primarily off mandrel work, Italian style. This means that we will be working how the Italians customarily do their lampwork. They allow their work to proceed and get cold as they work. This allows them continue the sculpture to sections that are cold, following intermittent annealing schedules. Your focus can be human anatomy or architectural building.

Here are a few links of Lucio’s work, starting with his official website. Please take the time to immerse yourself to be captivated by the beautiful body of work this generous man offers to us to learn and emulate. Private studios in Murano, open to the public, just to see are rare but even more unique and rare is the opportunity to come and learn from a true glas master! Lucio’s state of the art studio is truly awesome.

Official website: http://www.luciobubacco.com/public/index.asp

Images of a visit Vittorio Costantini had with one of our groups in the fall of 2010, doing a collaboration piece with Lucio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97J9FDaZlAY

Here is an abreviated 2.5 minute version of a video done by a friend of Lucio: http://www.the-net.cc/news&assignm/L...bubaccoVd.html

Please, feel free to contact me directly for any questions you have. I would love to entertain you and encoursge you to join us! We have six students in our group. We have a very international representation so far! I would love for you to give this opportunity serious thought and take the leap to fulfil a dream come true. An opportunity to study in this magical land of Murano and completely immerse yourself in what this vanishing culture has to offer you.

Please contact me via my email is best: ofiliacinta at earthlink dot net We can initiate contact here on PM, but for easier conversation, email is best.

Ven a Murano con mei...... it will be a lifetime of memories and life changing opportunities.

Ofilia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-12-23, 9:12am

Smile

Here is a unique fish-woman Lucio created for me. Lucio is the bomb when it comes to fantasy fugures.

Here is my take on a fish-woman that I did in class :

Old 2012-12-23, 9:14am

Wink

Here is your workstation! You've got this amazing ventilation system. Your home made elbow rests, your use of Italian porta cana for you to line up your to-be-used canes to preheat in the radiant heat of your distant flame. Each torch has a flat marver for shaping on top. Many torches are the Carlisle Bubacco torch, others are some remaining traditional Italian torch. We use natural gas in the studio. The combination of the two lend themselves wonderfully to learn this form of soft sculpting in the flame. These techniques can transfer to your work in other glass. We have had boro workers in our workshops. Learning on soft glass is the best teacher.

Here is images of Lucio doing demos for the group. Students gather around him, and always have a great vantage view.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2012-12-23 at 9:32am.
Old 2012-12-23, 9:35am

Smile

What elegance and delicacy! How does he do it, and pretty much always working in thick rod ??!! Check out that short video by Norbert in the first link of this thread.... you can see how he creates that amazing hand

Old 2012-12-23, 9:39am

Exclamation

MERMAIDS !!!! Always a favorite theme of students and one of Lucio's wonderful creations... never two alike.

Here is the mermaid in minature and applied to a bead:

Last edited by Ofilia; 2012-12-23 at 1:52pm.
Old 2012-12-23, 11:55am
I speak Murrini!

O..M..G!!! Wow - it's going to be amazing!!! Wishing all that can make it a wonderful adventure of a lifetime!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2013-01-01, 8:03pm

Smile

You never know who may do a surprise visit to the studio......

(that's Lino Tagliapietra in the background watching Vittorio Costantini do a demo)

Old 2013-01-01, 8:10pm
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofilia View Post
MERMAIDS !!!! Always a favorite theme of students and one of Lucio's wonderful creations... never two alike.

So Ofilia, I can assume after our week in April, I'll be quite competent in these mermaids?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-01, 8:11pm

Smile

Sometimes we can go shopping direct to an artist studio and buy at wholesale prices, without the bulk purchase needed ~

This work is a friend, Giuliano De Mio, who works primarily in borosilicate tubing. Not a common glass to be worked in Murano, BTW. Much of his work also features battuto carving done by two brothers who live on Murano, and work for many famous furnace studios, including Davide Salvadore.

Here is Davide allowing us to do a visit to his studio to watch them work

This amazing studio was once the studio that produced the wonderful world renown Cattelan chevron canes.

Here is a picture of Davide's private gallery.... totally innovative, mind blowing work!

Old 2013-01-01, 8:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post

So Ofilia, I can assume after our week in April, I'll be quite competent in these mermaids?
LOL.... hey, with the right dedication and practice, your work will surely develop!

I have to share a story of a student we had once. She also happened to be a Canadian,BTW. She was very content in her world of practicing arms and hands, arms and hands, arms and hands...... Seriously, she had a literal "mountain" of upper limbs on her table by the end of the week! She never even practiced the split leg figure. Just a simple silouette woman who had THE MOST AMAZING ARMS AND HANDS you would not believe your eyes!! I was very proud of Shannon's determination. With focus, dedication, sweat and tears.... anything can be possible!

Old 2013-01-06, 8:37pm

Smile

These are images of Lucio's scroll work. This scroll work transfers to miniature and can be lovely jewelry elements. It can be constructed to be great architectural components..... the possibilities are endless!

Currently, Lucio has translated this style to a series of gondola scultpures that are jaw dropping outstanding

Old 2013-01-06, 9:00pm

Wink

Have I mentioned hwo fun it is to go shopping in Venice?

Pretty in PINK!

Are the vaporettos big enough to hold all those shopping bags ??

And do not miss shopping from the local produce dealers who doc in various areas of Murano selling the freshest possible produce for the most scruptious meals to prepare in our cool apartments. Yummmmmmm...... Who cares if you don't speak Italian! All you do is point, nod, make hand signs of more, less or whatever seems to convey your order. It's always a fun challenge to buy produce in Venice. One is that it will be the most virgin food you will never get to handle until it is bought! Lots to learn about the culture... all part of the full emersion of BEING THERE!

Last edited by Ofilia; 2013-01-06 at 9:03pm.
Old 2013-01-07, 7:59am
Beads Beads Glass

I wish I could make it!!!! I can't wait to get back!!!

I could not find photos of the ship that was in his studio when we were there last year but I did find a video on my facebook of one of the 4 ships I think there are two more videos....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZfOZLB4QbE

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2013-01-07, 7:55pm
Beads Beads Glass

I'll just drop these here.....

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2013-01-10, 12:10pm

Smile

Thanks, Kim, for sharing these images. It's amazing what tallent lives in Murano. They are the salt of the earth and their veins run with deeply rooted history, you gotta love them all.

Old 2013-01-10, 9:50pm

Default It was fabulous

I went on this trip with Ofilia in 2010. It was a life changing experience. If you can possibly arrange your life and finances to do it, I would highly recommend it. The artwork, the buying opportunities, the class experience, all of it was inspiring. Everywhere you go there are beautiful things. Even eating lunch in Lucio's studio is an incredible experience. It's the most casual of galleries. The first photo is where we ate lunch on class days, surrounded by Lucio's work. Vittorio Constantine was guest that day. The second photo is dusk in Murano. Gorgeous. The 3rd photo is Lucio's tiny little unicorn, a little bigger than a coin, with incredible detail. The last photo is the island of Burano, color and shopping mecca....actually the shopping is everywhere you go. Ofilia knows all the great places. Burano is known for it's lace and has beautiful clothes. We had a wonderful group, food, art, shopping...and then learned a lot on top of it all! Fantastic/
Attached Images

Last edited by worksofjoy; 2013-01-10 at 9:56pm.
Old 2013-01-13, 9:58am

Thumbs up

Thanks Joy, for the great photos! Thank you for touching on the experience being a total package, of culture, exposure, immersion to all things Murano, glass and Venice. A person can take a workshop with a traveling artist, but to take a workshop in their PERSONAL space, is much more unique. Combine it with the total osmosis environment of being in a place so different than ours, is priceless.

I've recruited over 125 students for Lucio over the years. I am looking for just a few more students for this April group, ready to take that extra step in their art glass quest. Ven con noi! Andiamo....tutti.

Old 2013-01-13, 10:21am
Flame Dames Rule!

I've gone with Ofilia maybe 3 times now? And would give ANYTHING to go back again in April, but it overlaps a class and trip I've had scheduled for a long time.

Damn.

Do this adventure - it'll be the greatest experience of your life! Even if you aren't big into off-mandrel figural work, you'll learn SO much about heat control just watching Lucio work. I always come away with better manipulation skills and new tricks and techniques (and TOOLS, because Dona is just down the canal.... oy).

It's the greatest immersion environment in the world, and eventually you'll notice the *quiet*. No cars, no industrial noise, just water lapping and boats and people. And glass, and colors everywhere, and the stinkin' BEST fried calamari in the universe, because they caught it about 30 minutes ago offshore.

Go for Lucio and glass, and stay for the gelato.

DO THIS.
Attached Images

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2013-01-13, 10:34am
Melody of Glass

That's some serious gelato.

99 more days. Can't wait!!!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-13, 10:55am
Flame Dames Rule!

Just don't dive into this. It will KEEEELLLLLL you.
Attached Images

Sharon Peters

Old 2013-01-15, 8:36pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
Just don't dive into this. It will KEEEELLLLLL you.
OMG, Sharon, did you taste it? What exactly does Smurf taste like..... I'm a little afraid to ask

The gelato, the tiramisu.... the endless choices of fresh lagoon fish, awesome organic veggies from San Erasmo..... there is no comparison!

No end to possibilities to feed your glass hunger either!

Old 2013-01-15, 9:12pm
Flame Dames Rule!

It had a blueberry bubble gummy kind of vibe, with a Smurfette undertaste (by that I mean sickeningly sweet, not anything tacky).

It was the kind of Ghastly that only a 7-year-old would love.

It took 2 brushings and a serving of black squid ink pasta to get the taste out of my mouth.

The dark chocolate, caramel, mango and tiramisu flavors, tho - WHOA.

Sharon Peters

Old 2013-01-16, 7:43pm

Thumbs up

Oooooo... my favorite gelato flavors are Fiore di latte and canella. The Fiore is just a light cream that makes you image white flowers, it's so light. The Canella is cinnamon. Italy will definately leave all your senses satisfied.

Every class Lucio and I have a pizza making competition for one of the lunches... he "claims" his are better than mine, but ..... I must say, I'm a pretty darn cook cuoca, inspired by the great ingrediants the land has to offer .

Old 2013-01-16, 7:56pm

Smile

Here is a drawing of a plan for an architectural design. In this case, it was translated in miniature for a pendant. Isn't is lovely!

Imagine the possibilities of getting comfortable with off mandrel style!

Old 2013-01-17, 2:14pm

Thumbs up

Here is a miniature figure imbedded to a bead..... unicorn man! He's truly fabulous.

Old 2013-01-17, 2:21pm

Smile

Here is Lucio doing a blow pipe piece demo..... the man has endless tallents. With each group, he will cater to interests of those participating in the class. You can focus on human figures, architecture, animals, combinations, you are only limited by your imagination.

Old 2013-01-17, 2:22pm

Smile

This is a gorgeous reclining figure Lucio did. He demonstrates how to make elements to design around your focal piece and make an entire thought/idea. This maiden is reclinig in the garden, enjoying her wine as it spills out of one edge.....

Last edited by Ofilia; 2013-01-17 at 2:25pm.
Old 2013-01-19, 8:43pm

Thumbs up

It does not get better than this collaboration of Lucio for the upper body of the mermaid, and Vittorio for the fish part of the body..... it was totally dreamy.

Old 2013-01-21, 8:03am

Smile

Here is Lucio with a Medussa head that will later go onto a bead surface. He is really into mythological figures. There is always something mystical about them.

Old 2013-01-21, 8:05am

Smile

Here is one of Lucio's typical scrolls.... it can work into architecture or jewelry design. Controlling that flow is so critical to beautiful lampwork..... very sexy.