Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-10-13, 11:25am

Default What kind of camera do you use?

Hi everyone, I need a need camera to shoot my beads and jewelry and can't go over $300. (would perfer under)

Any suggestions and do you use a light box??? Thanks so much,
Karen
Old 2013-10-13, 11:31am
"Sinners have soul too"

Nikon D3100
No lightbox but you already know that because I've told you before.

Also I have taken a decent bead pic with my cell phone because it's really all about the lighting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-10-13, 3:26pm
Salt Box Beads

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powersho...ershot+A1000IS

I can take super macro shots with clear details with it.
Attached Images

Old 2013-10-14, 7:36am
Gentleman of Leisure

Had a Olympus point and shoot that did wonderfiul pictures till it self destructed... Then got a SONY A300 DSLR.... Wish I had not..... Get a Nikon or a Cannon point and shoot...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-10-16, 10:50pm
Pixel Dude

I've covered some suggestions on cameras in detail here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=253348

There's a long post about the differences between point-and-shoot cameras (PAS) and digital single lens reflex cameras (DSLR) here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252664

In the news today, Oct. 16, 2013, Sony announced two new full frame, mirrorless cameras that have the photographic press and blogs all excited. Sony also announced the discontinuation of their NEX brand of cameras and lenses. Here's why this is important in our overall discussion of what camera type (PAS or DSLR), camera brand and lenses to choose for your photography. If you choose a camera brand and system, you want it to be around for quite a few years and to have sold enough cameras and lenses to build a strong primary market for new purchasers and a robust secondary market for buyers and sellers of used equipment. If the brand you choose today goes away in 5 years, your choices for lenses other than the one you bought with your camera diminishes greatly if you want to add a lens down the line. If the amount of used gear coming into the secondary market is slowed with very little equipment entering and the brand you own is not considered collectible, then your chances of getting a good price when selling used gear is also diminished.

On the other hand, in June 2013, Nikon announced total production of 80 million Nikkor lenses, starting with the Nikon F mount in 1959. I can use the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 lens from my 1970 Nikon F film camera on most, if not all modern Nikon DSLR cameras.

In May 2013, Canon announced the 90 millionth EOS mount lens had been produced since they started that line of cameras and lenses in 1987.

Those two examples of lens and camera production go to the heart of brand longevity, large market share, wide range of camera and lens choices and extensive secondary market for both buyers and sellers. Try to match that with a line of cameras and lenses that a manufacturer discontinues after several years and replaces with what they call "the latest and greatest" at that moment. I've learned over the years to never buy the first models introduced of a tech item. I let others test them first to find and fix the bugs before I invest.

An additional observation about PAS cameras. During the first year I taught classes at the Bead & Button Show, the Glass Craft Show, the ISGB Gathering and the Tucson Bead Show, I noticed a curious anomaly among almost all the PAS cameras brought to class. Most of the these cameras would focus from 18" to infinity without a problem. Many of them had what was termed "macro" or "super-macro" focus. What this generally turned out to be was the ability to focus very close to the lens, may 1-2 inches, which was great if you wanted super close detailed shots. What the cameras didn't reliably do was to focus in the 2 inch to 18 inch range. This meant that beads, marbles, earrings, and necklaces were very hard to get in focus with a PAS camera. Don't ask me why the cameras didn't want to easily focus in this range, talk to the manufacturers. Some cameras might focus in the 2-18 inch range, but only at the most wide angle lens setting, resulting in curvature distortion of the piece being photographed. And since you couldn't grab a ring on the built-in zoom lens and twist it to facilitate focusing, but had to rely on either a wheel built-in to the camera or move a dial in the rear touch-screen, focusing was difficult at best at close up distances. None of this is an issue with a DSLR since those lenses have a manual focus ring you can use to adjust the focus easily to your liking.

If you've got your heart set on a particular camera, here are several excellent review sites just for cameras and lenses: http://www.steves-digicams.com/, http://www.dpreview.com/ and http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews.

BTW, I receive to remuneration or consideration of any kind from any camera manufacturer. My views are my own based on 40+ years of experience owning and using a broad range of Nikon, Canon, Calumet, Bronica, Exacta, Hasselblad, Fuji, Pentax, Sinar and Mamiya cameras and Chimera, Plume, Balcar, Paul Buff, Matthews, Mole Richardson and generic HMI lighting equipment.

Old 2013-10-19, 10:27pm

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 2013-11-08, 9:13am
ManBearPig

I use a Canon EOS 5D. But photos of glass make up probably 1% of the total photos I take, so for me it's justified. If all you are doing is taking glass photos, it would be way overkill.