LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-11, 8:37am

Default Temporary Home made arm rests???

Anyone have any tips or ideas to hold my hands steady until I have enough money to buy a Creation Station?

Chris
PS George stop stalking me. LOL
Old 2011-04-11, 8:52am
Salt Box Beads

Sure! Here's mine. I couldn't stand resting just my wrists on anything. It hurt.

So I made these and I get to stabilize and rest my forearm. My wrists can then move freely and my arms, neck and shoulders have support. No headaches, backaches or neck aches.

The base is small pieces of wood. We made about 10 of them and then kept adding one until the height was perfect for me. Then DH glued them together and then I covered them with leathered over very stiff foam.

They are wonderful for me. Then I taped them to the bench so I can move them if I need to.
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-11, 8:52am
Gentleman of Leisure

Couple of rolls of toilet paper, soup cans, wood blocks or bricks (with padding) .... What do you really want to do....

http://www.glas-kats.com/products.html#armstead

My home made ones...

Lots of options without having to buy a Creation Station...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-04-11 at 8:56am.
Old 2011-04-11, 9:02am

I need something to steady by hands for stringer work mostly. Maybe I'm just too old to be starting this. LOL
Old 2011-04-11, 9:05am

I have big C-clamps attached to either side of my table, then they have chamois leather sponges for cleaning cars velcroed on top.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-11, 11:23am
I'm meeeeelting

I took a class from Jim Smircich recently and he brought arm rests for us to use made from cans of green beans (you can use canned anything), socks and rubber bands. He flipped the socks inside out, put the rubber bands around them just above the heel and then flatly rolled up the foot of the sock, flipped the sock right side out and slid it over the can. The rolled up foot part makes a cushion. They worked great, although I'd want to experiment with different cans to get the optimal height.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-04-11, 2:58pm

I'm gonna try the can arm rests tomorrow!!!! Thanks!!!
Old 2011-04-12, 5:04am
Ellen Altamore

Location: southwest MI; north of Kalamazoo, south of Grand Rapids

I've been using the same 2 rolls of TP for several years now - they're wrapped in an old T-shirt and secured with duct tape.

ellenalive.blogspot.com
Old 2011-04-12, 10:33am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Armm rests

Here's what I use. As you can see the actual arm rests on each side swivel. The marver never changes angle and the height is set for my torch. The brass piece on the left leg raises up and the carrier has screws allowing me to mount different tools. The little 'button' supports the 'tool' when in use.
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-12, 1:02pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Altamore View Post
I've been using the same 2 rolls of TP for several years now - they're wrapped in an old T-shirt and secured with duct tape.
That's what I did too...only tinfoil instead of the shirt. The shirt sounds like a better idea!

Old 2011-04-12, 1:43pm

I use black pipe nipple and flanges covered with a piece of leather. It's not temporary for me, been using them for years. I dislike the stationary arm rests. These I can move around or take with me to classes or whatever.

Old 2011-04-13, 12:32pm
addicted to dichro

Mine are sand filled ankle weights from the 70's or 80's.

Old 2011-04-14, 8:23pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

A small piece of 4x4 screwed onto a piece of 1x6, then covered with padding and some leather. Secured with a C clamp.
Old 2011-04-16, 7:08pm
Back to 👊 1

Houptdavid made these. You could probably pm him and see if he has any left. I know he was selling them but it was going on about a year ago now. Still worth a shot.

He says I use them upside down, but it works for me!

Flames not included, I did those at work.

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2011-04-16, 11:36pm
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I took a class from Jim Smircich recently and he brought arm rests for us to use made from cans of green beans (you can use canned anything), socks and rubber bands. He flipped the socks inside out, put the rubber bands around them just above the heel and then flatly rolled up the foot of the sock, flipped the sock right side out and slid it over the can. The rolled up foot part makes a cushion. They worked great, although I'd want to experiment with different cans to get the optimal height.
He did that for our class too. Worked well.

Old 2011-04-16, 11:48pm

Someone, dont remembe rwho, mayby in North Carolin built these wooden risers and i bought a boat load of them , turns out I really like the creation stations so thats what I sell and promote. These are free for the taking as i dont want them taking up space anymore but cant just throw them away cause they arent that bad, like a poor mans creation station. So for shipping you can have a pr. Thwy are similar to the persons who burnt flames on the sides but have bolts so heighth can be adjusted and are equal bottom to top size. I think a medium size flat rate box would work. Paypay ok, will have to look upmto see exactly what that is.
Old 2011-04-17, 12:48am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
This is where you go into the canned food section of the grocery store, lay the cans down and rest your elbows on them......and people just pretend they don't notice the crazy person in isle 5.
Old 2011-04-17, 11:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
Mine are sand filled ankle weights from the 70's or 80's.
Hey, I have a couple pairs of those, I knew I saved them for something!

DeAnn

Minor Propane Oxycon SC2 Jim Moore Bead Press
Old 2011-04-17, 12:38pm
Storm Queen

That metal elbow looking piece is my arm rest. The good thing is that I can also rest the tip of a hot mandrel on it while I do dot placement.

Old 2011-04-17, 12:53pm
Loving learning

All of this is making me realize my wonky dots may be improved if I get arm rests, LOL. Off to check my TP supply, and canned goods sizes. I have some heat resistant quilted fabric I bought for pot holders I could cover them in that might help keep them from going up in flame too easily too.
Old 2011-04-17, 4:57pm
where is that UPS man?

Holy cow amy and i thought my bench was a disaster.. Ha ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdesigns View Post

that metal elbow looking piece is my arm rest. The good thing is that i can also rest the tip of a hot mandrel on it while i do dot placement.

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2011-04-17, 5:03pm
Storm Queen

This is a better view:

Old 2011-04-17, 5:03pm
Storm Queen

That picture was taken a couple of days ago too.

Old 2011-04-18, 8:48am

Well your mandrels are all neatly standing like a bunch of soldiers. LOL
Old 2011-04-18, 9:06am
Feminist Killjoy

Amy! How'd you get a photo of my work table??

I think I saw some plain arm rests at the Ikea website. They'd have to be padded, though.
Old 2011-04-18, 11:43am
Curmudgeon Engineering

And what are those 'shad darts' doing up on the back splash? Making fishing lures when you can't find a stringer?
PJH
Old 2011-04-18, 11:54am
Storm Queen

Those really are fishing lures. My husband kept bugging me to make some for him so he got blank hooks that unfortunately (or not) burned up in the flame.

Old 2011-04-18, 6:51pm
Redbearmountain

I have a creation station and I love it. I tried everything and nothing compares to the creation station in my book. Bearfoot Art Scott makes hand stablizers that work very nice also. The creation station allows you to torch for hours even all day and your arms are not tired at all.