LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-06, 4:40pm

Default What do you use to hold your frit while you dip???

I use a tiny glass bowl that my brother-in-law gave me. I think it's called a finger bowl. It's less than 1.5 inches wide and less than 1 inch tall. It works GREAT. I love it! I can sink my gather in there and move it from side to side and cover every millimeter! I use it on a glass plate to catch any overflow and then just use a funnel to put it back.

So, what do you use? Just curious!!

Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-06, 4:42pm
sunscreen me baby

Deep stainless steel measuring spoons. I dip the correct size in my frit jar and roll the bead around in the spoon. The excess just falls back into the frit container.

~

Old 2006-12-06, 4:55pm

Huh. I think I have a set of those measuring spoons! They're perfect half spheres with black plastic handles. Hmmm, may have to try them out!! Gotta love it that the excess falls right back into the jar!

Candy

Old 2006-12-06, 6:49pm
Dangerous Woman

I use my graphite lentel thingie. I'd like one of those small metal gravey boats.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-12-06, 6:51pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

I just dump it out onto my marble top work surface. But at the dentist the other day I was tempted by her "thumb cups"!

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2006-12-06, 6:57pm

Pinch bowls. . .or very large spoons.
Old 2006-12-06, 7:16pm
Just me

I use the metal frozen juice lids on the ends of the cans. I have tons of them so I can lay out several colors at once. I just make sure I have a little pile to roll the bead in instead of having the frit flat on the surface. You get better coverage that way and don't distort the shape of your bead.

Old 2006-12-06, 7:20pm
Entropy increasing....

Someone sent me a tiny SS gravy boat. It holds maybe 1 1/2 oz of frit.

I saw some little tiny fish plates that are almost flat yesterday. Those would be great too.

Do you think we are the only people who scour restaurant supply places for SS things that we never use to cook in? lol
Old 2006-12-06, 7:34pm

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

Mona .. I bet you could get your dentist to order some for you .
Becky passed on an idea the other day .. cut a soda can down .. I think you need to turn down edges and cut groves for mandrel .

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2006-12-06, 7:56pm
ManBearPig

We use these: http://www.firemountaingems.com/deta...p?PN=H201012BS

They work great. Because of the shape you can pour it back into the container when you are done without spilling it.

Old 2006-12-06, 8:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

i have about a dozen of the little gravy boats and just LOVE LOVE LOVE them
Old 2006-12-06, 8:27pm

Okay, all this talk of gravy boats is very intersting. The only ones I've EVER seen are big! I'll have to google around for pic now! I want to see these little guys!!

Candy

Old 2006-12-06, 8:35pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
i have about a dozen of the little gravy boats and just LOVE LOVE LOVE them
Yes, they are fabulous!!! I want more. lol
Old 2006-12-06, 8:39pm
Following my Dream

I bought a pack of those ss butter dipping cups like they have at Red Lobster. I got them at Walmart for less then $2.00

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
Old 2006-12-06, 8:45pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

I use the frozen orange juice ends mostly. I do have a few of the soda can ones too. I cut them and put the cut side down, and the bottom (outside) indentation forms the frit tray naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkys View Post
Mona .. I bet you could get your dentist to order some for you .
Becky passed on an idea the other day .. cut a soda can down .. I think you need to turn down edges and cut groves for mandrel .

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2006-12-06, 8:46pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Oh OH! I saw a deep ladle the other day with a little pouring spout.
I thought one could make the bead near the end of the mandrel, and roll!
Old 2006-12-06, 9:45pm
i'm not dave

candy--don't think you are using a fingerbowl but a salt cellar. fingerbowls are about 3-5" wide.
Old 2006-12-06, 10:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivydave View Post
candy--don't think you are using a fingerbowl but a salt cellar. fingerbowls are about 3-5" wide.
SALT CELLAR? Wow, I've never heard of that term before. I think you're correct though! HUH! Well, now I know why I could never find any more on the Internet. I just didn't have the right word! So, thanks!!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my little frit bowl Now if it ever goes missing, I'll know what to shop for!!

Candy

Old 2006-12-06, 10:29pm

OMG! I just checked out eBay and there's lots of these salt cellars! WHEW! I thought my little glass bowl was so unique that I had to treasure it. Ohhh, this one is really nice! Pink Salt Cellar

Certainly a lot prettier than the one I have! Mine is just plain clear. At near $10 shipped it is a bit pricey though. I'm just so glad you posted that tivydave! THANKS!!

Candy

Old 2006-12-06, 11:08pm

Neatniks- close your imagination for a minute here....

OK- I tend to have a number of frits open at any time- so I use a few methods
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Deep stainless steel measuring spoons. I dip the correct size in my frit jar and roll the bead around in the spoon. The excess just falls back into the frit container.
I use a few of these I had laying around with the frits I don't' take out often so they aren't already open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Someone sent me a tiny SS gravy boat. It holds maybe 1 1/2 oz of frit.
I got a set cheap at Target- like them but I have a tendency to tip them and waste frit - mystery frit time happens soon after and I can't switch coes until I use up a spill

I also pour a small amount on a tile if I want a sprinkling that's better measured outside a scoop

My favorite method though is small tins- Altoids and bitty cigar tins are perfect. I keep the frit in the tip and flip it upside down to open when I want to use it- the frit is in a shallow metal container that way and I can roll right there and close up when I'm finished
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-12-06, 11:44pm
Corgi Cult Member

Old brass pipe rest. I keep checking antique stores for more. No luck.

Kathy

Old 2006-12-07, 1:24am

I use the underside of little chinese blue porcelain bowls. I turn them over and use the ring foot as holder, it's the perfect size.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2006-12-07, 6:50am

Big gravy boat and big round shallow spoon. Found the gravy boat in a junk shop -- I think it was at one point in it's long and honorable life silver plated.

Some stainless steel ones are here:
http://foodservice.chef2chef.net/res...oats/index.htm
http://www.lancasterrestaurantsupply...vy_Boats.shtml
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchan...id=8460&step=4

The one from Golda's is nice and big.

JanMD
Old 2006-12-07, 7:21am

I use an ice cream scoop. Not the ones that have the lever you press to have the ring go under your ice cream to get it out of the scoop but the plain ones... I set them so the handle is away from me and fill the scoop. The sides round up on the ends but the middle is great for rolling my bead into.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2006-12-07, 7:44am
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

Same as Sue, I use an ice cream scoop.

Giving
a try!
Old 2006-12-07, 7:53am

I cut the bottoms out of aluminum muffin tins. They are pliable so I can just pinch the sides together to make pouring the frit back easy. I have a bunch of the new glass frit jars from Val. Lately I've just been leaving the frit in the jars and if I just want a tiny bit I'll use a measuring spoon.

Old 2006-12-07, 9:24am

i use bread tins with clear covers to store it and a dish/plate to use it. too often i have something long with punti's on both ends or tubing and i need the pile to be flat, i couldnt 'dip' that. I keep a deep measuring spoon with it to pour on if necessary, i also figured out to dip that measuring spoon in my scrap water bucket to clean it off so no glass dust.
ro
Old 2006-12-07, 1:46pm
Ad astra per aspera

Hehe, my beads are pampered. I use a sterling silver demitasse spoon, a souvenir I got in Australia. It even has an opal chip in it!

I repackage all of my frits into those aluminum watchmaker tins (from Lee Valley), so it's easy to roll the beads in the spoon right over the tin.

Old 2006-12-07, 2:19pm
Against the Grain

Pieces of aluminum foil with the edges folded up on three sides. Not the greatest, but I seem to get by.

Old 2006-12-07, 2:53pm
Procrastinate Now!!

My frits are in glass salt shakers. (super cheap walmart variety) When it's time to roll the bead, I pick the open glass container up and tip and jiggle the frit a bit so it's laying along the side of the jar, and stick the mandrel in the container, and roll... pushing both towards the bottom of the container, and back a bit to get the frit on all sides of the bead, not just the apex. Works Great!!

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.