LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-21, 8:56am

Default I know this is in wrong place but need questions answered fast about O2 and propane

mods; Please don't move at least until someone answer!

My mini cc is in and I will be hooking up this weekend.
I have businesses very close to where I live that can supply me with the 02 and propane.

I need to know what size tanks I need?

For the 02 I can get either a 4 foot tank or a 5 foot tank.
Is that too big, too small? what?

For the propane... what size tank do I need?
I need to know before I call them.

THANKS... please answer as soon as you can!

Joanna
Old 2006-04-21, 9:01am
In search of her path....

GO with the 5 ft tank for oxy and the 20lb bbq tank for propane...the propane will last WAY longer than oxy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2006-04-21, 9:01am
Safety ALWAYS

Yep, totally agree.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-04-21, 9:03am

THANKS!
Joanna

For some reason I was thinking I was going to need a big huge propane tank.
You just set me at ease.

Can I just grab a bbq tank from the hardware store?
Or does it HAVE to be from a propane shop?

Joanna
Old 2006-04-21, 9:05am

Hi Joanna,
Here's my thoughts. i STARTED with oxygen Tanks so I speak from personal experience.

If you MUST use tanked O2 get the largest tank you can.
A BBQ Propane tank is fine.

The O2 will cost you a minimum of $100 a month if you only torch a couple hours a day

I strongly suggest you buy an Oxycon INSTEAD. It will save you oodles of money! (and the cost to run one is low)and is much safer than Tanked O2... if the tank falls over and the cap blows off, someone can be killed. Any oils coming in contact with the tank are asking for an explosion.

I think O2 tanks are dangerous and I decided I didn't want one in my home.

I paid $75 plus shipping for my first OxyCon a year ago, and It just died! that's a heck of a savings!

Hugs
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekbeads
mods; Please don't move at least until someone answer!

My mini cc is in and I will be hooking up this weekend.
I have businesses very close to where I live that can supply me with the 02 and propane.

I need to know what size tanks I need?

For the 02 I can get either a 4 foot tank or a 5 foot tank.
Is that too big, too small? what?

For the propane... what size tank do I need?
I need to know before I call them.

THANKS... please answer as soon as you can!

Joanna

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2006-04-21 at 9:14am.
Old 2006-04-21, 9:12am
tweetysweetie

Joann....so far everyone has offered good advice. A regular bbq tank from the hardware store (20lb) will do just fine. Make sure to buy a new one, they have the overfill valves that are now mandatory. Older tanks are no longer re-filled at most places. The 5ft oxy cylinder is great too. Use the mfg. suggested pressures on your regulators...till you find those out for your torch, 4-6 psi on propane and 10-12 psi on the oxy will do you. Expect to go through 3 tanks of oxy to 1 tank of propane...good luck, have fun, torch safe & often.
Catharine

Old 2006-04-21, 9:15am
Gentleman of Leisure

For propane a 5 gallon, (20#) BBQ style tank is sufficient and should not cost more than $30 new plus filling charge (around $6-$10)... PROPANE tank MUST REMAIN OUTSIDE for safety.

For oxygen get the largest tank YOU CAN HANDLE.... Remember these tanks weigh in about 106 pounds (51 inch tall tank - Not including valve & safety cap) to 126 pounds (56 inch tall tank - Not including valve & safety cap). Also keep in mind if oxygen supplier loads it in to car or truck at shop, you still have to unload it when you get to studio.

BE ABSOLUTELY sure you can handle the weight, if it gets away from you it's not at all fun and if it hurts you will hate it.... Also OXYGEN tank needs to be secured to wall or column with safety chain or strap so it can't fall over BEFORE you remove safety cap.

The larger the oxy tank the longer it will last.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-04-21 at 10:09am.
Old 2006-04-21, 9:16am

Thanks everyone.
One more question.

I just had Mari Johson from Blue Fire Beads order everything for me as she is near me and it is easy for me to pick up....
When i ordered the mini from her, I didn't necessarily tell her what size tanks I was going to use...
Does that matter with the hoses she got for me?
Should the fittings be ok?

*I'm so confusled*

Joanna
Old 2006-04-21, 9:18am

Dale, thanks.

The 02 supplier is actually just a few blocks away from me and is willing to deliver it right to me YEAH FOR ME!

I won't be torching inside... only out in my garage.
Wondering what I will be able to chain the 02 tank to out there?
Joanna
Old 2006-04-21, 9:20am
In search of her path....

your hosees should be fine Joanna!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-04-21, 9:23am
tweetysweetie

Joanna....the fittings to the tanks will be fine. Size of hose is matched to the spigots on your torch. Mari knows quite a bit so I'm sure she set you up just right. Good to see you asking questions and don't ever fill like an idiot...that title is reserved for those who DON'T ask the questions!!! Lots of good help here (always spot-on from Dale or Mike)

Old 2006-04-21, 9:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Thanks everyone.
One more question.

I just had Mari Johson from Blue Fire Beads order everything for me as she is near me and it is easy for me to pick up....
When i ordered the mini from her, I didn't necessarily tell her what size tanks I was going to use...
Does that matter with the hoses she got for me?
Should the fittings be ok?

*I'm so confusled*

Joanna

There should be no problem. Hoses and regulators (gages) size(s) are universal. They fit all size tanks (fuel or oxygen).. Remember threads on fuel (propane) hoses and regulator are LEFT HAND to tighten... Signfied by groove cut into "flats" in area where wrench is applied...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-04-21 at 10:10am.
Old 2006-04-21, 9:28am

quick question about oxy concentrator....

I heard they don't like humidity.
IF I buy the 02 concentrator can I work outside in my garage?
I live in Illinois where the summer can get hot and humid.
I do, however, have an air conditioner in the garage.

Do I have to run the air conditioner ALL the time or only when it's humid?

it sounds like an 02 concentrator would be better for me.

Help!
Joanna
Old 2006-04-21, 9:30am
Red*Dog*Designs

Joanna

I got a metal bracket with a strap that my oxygen tank fits into.........once the tank is strapped in, its not going anywhere. I attached the bracket to a wall (stud) in my garage. I bought it from my oxygen supplier, its possible that your supplier will have something like this too.

Debi

We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

Old 2006-04-21, 9:31am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Dale, thanks.

I won't be torching inside... only out in my garage.
Wondering what I will be able to chain the 02 tank to out there?
Joanna
Go to hardware store and get a couple of BIG screw hooks a 3 ft (or so) length of chain. Screw hooks into "STUDS" in wall... Place tank between hooks and drape chain from hook to hook around tank... Hooks should be 2/3 to 3/4 what up tank from floor...

Dale

Old 2006-04-21, 9:50am

Ok, new information....

My 02 supplier quoted me this price for what I need....

$75.00 to lease the tank per year.
$31.36 for 02 refill.

or

02 concentrator, but I still need the questions answered about that.
It will be outside, and there is a chance of humidity and such.
not sure if an 02 concentrator is a good choice for me.

Joanna
Old 2006-04-21, 10:06am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Ok, new information....

My 02 supplier quoted me this price for what I need....

$75.00 to lease the tank per year.
$31.36 for 02 refill.

or

02 concentrator, but I still need the questions answered about that.
It will be outside, and there is a chance of humidity and such.
not sure if an 02 concentrator is a good choice for me.

Joanna
If you decide to go oxycon, its possible to leave it inside house and run long hose out to where torch is in garage (assuming garage is attached to house).. But since you have "air" in garage, humidity should not be a issue....
Other than that, there is not any problem... Just remember that oxy con is a somewhat limited oxygen source... It is 92-96% purity and limited to 4.5 to 5 LPM of volume at a pressure of 7-8 PSI... Where tanked oxygen and is probably 99.5 percent pure and virtually no volume or pressure restrictions.... Lot will depend on your torch, your style and what you expect to accomplish...

IF you want to get up and running NOW. Go with tanked oxygen, unless you have immediate source for oxy con....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-04-21 at 10:12am.
Old 2006-04-21, 10:16am

Thanks everyone for all your invaluable help.
I so appreciate the prompt replies and expertise!
It's so nice to know I can come here and get all my questions answered so quickly.

THANKS AGAIN.
I've got some thinking to do.

Ok mods... I got what I needed, you can move if necessary!
Thanks

Joanna
Old 2006-04-21, 1:25pm
Crazy tool making guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
Remember threads on fuel (propane) hoses and regulator are LEFT HAND to tighten... Signfied by groove cut into "flats" in area where wrench is applied...

Dale
Ah-Ha!

I was wondering what those grooves were for!

Thanks!

-Jeff
Old 2006-04-21, 1:41pm
I fart diamonds

Joanna, Lynnie and I and a slew of other lampworkers including Mr. Smiley live in Florida. You can't get much more humid than that and we all use concentrators with no problems.

Last edited by shawnette; 2006-04-21 at 2:02pm.
Old 2006-04-21, 1:57pm

Well... here's the deal.

The brand new concentrator that I would normally want to use for the mini cc is just WAY too much money for me to spend.

And everyone is telling me that only one reconditioned concentrator on a mini cc would not be good nor give me the results I want... although I'm only planning on doing softglass. Everyone's been saying if I'm going to go that way, that I should get two concentrators and it's just not feasible for me to do that. money and other reasons.

So, I guess I'm STUCK with the tanks.

UNLESS secret users of mini cc and ONE concentrator wants to pm me and instruct me otherwise.. ??

This sucks.. I was getting all excited about buying a concentrator and now I'm totally bummed.
I'm started to be not as excited as I was this morning...

BWAH!

Joanna
Old 2006-04-21, 2:11pm
I fart diamonds

Well, it sounds like you're moving up from a HH, so anything will be an improvement as far as the heat goes, lol.

I don't know who told you that you can't use one oxycon with a mini, but that's just not true. I'm speaking from experience as I actually have one that I ran on 1 concentrator for ages and I make BABs (Big-Ass Beads). The only problem you will have is hot knobs and that didn't really bother me. I just used a folded paper towel to avoid touching them. And if you don't torch for hours at a time, that's not even an issue. The hot knob problem will go away if you add a 2nd oxycon.

You're going to love your Mini (I hope, lol!)

Made on a MiniCC with 1 Oxycon (a cheap crappy oxycon, too!):

Last edited by shawnette; 2006-04-21 at 2:15pm.
Old 2006-04-21, 2:16pm

Thank you... I really wanted and needed to hear that.
the 02 just runs so much $$$ and if there is ANY way in heck I can
do it on the concentrator that's definitely a better way for me to go.

Agian, I appreciate all the help I've gotten in this thread from everyone!
Joanna
Old 2006-04-21, 3:03pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Joanna said I can move it now. Yipeeee
here we go.....

just kidding, I just now am getting to read this one.

Old 2006-04-21, 8:17pm
Corgi Cult Member

Joanna, I would be glad to have you come to my house and hook up your torch to my oxycon and gas. You could see what you think about the flame quality. I have used one oxycon with my Lynx for about 5 yrs. I love the safety of the oxycon and not having to fiddle with refils. Think you have my number on that note I sent if you are interested.
Kathy
Old 2006-04-21, 9:15pm

Ok my Studio is a Garage converted to a room in my home. We HAVE AC available, but I have the vents closed off. IT GETS VERY HUMID (caps for emphasis not yelling LOL) here! My oxy con just died buut not because of that, trust me! Humidity won't hurt it if you use it properly, and if you change your filters often you'll be fine!
Quote:
quick question about oxy concentrator....

I heard they don't like humidity.
IF I buy the 02 concentrator can I work outside in my garage?
I live in Illinois where the summer can get hot and humid.
I do, however, have an air conditioner in the garage.

Do I have to run the air conditioner ALL the time or only when it's humid?

it sounds like an 02 concentrator would be better for me.

Help!
Joanna

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-04-21, 9:19pm

Joanna,Talk with Justin at Oxygen Plus 540-586-9051 about a price for an OxyCon.. You CAN use a refurb with the mini CC. He is selling me a devilbiss 5/10 which would work GREAT for you and the price is GREAT with a 5 yr warrantee! It's a deal I could NOT pass up. I sold off all my Bullseye to buy it, but it's done! and LOADS of THANKS to Shawnette for loaning me her Oxycon till my new one gets here ( a week ro so!) You are a PEACH Shawnette thank you!
Quote:
Well... here's the deal.

The brand new concentrator that I would normally want to use for the mini cc is just WAY too much money for me to spend.

And everyone is telling me that only one reconditioned concentrator on a mini cc would not be good nor give me the results I want... although I'm only planning on doing softglass. Everyone's been saying if I'm going to go that way, that I should get two concentrators and it's just not feasible for me to do that. money and other reasons.

So, I guess I'm STUCK with the tanks.

UNLESS secret users of mini cc and ONE concentrator wants to pm me and instruct me otherwise.. ??

This sucks.. I was getting all excited about buying a concentrator and now I'm totally bummed.
I'm started to be not as excited as I was this morning...

BWAH!

Joanna

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2006-04-21 at 9:28pm.
Old 2006-04-22, 10:58am

dont forget about T-grade hose. Regular welding hose is not rated for use with propane, it will EAT through the hose. Using other thatn T-grade hose could quite possibly void your insurance.
B
Old 2006-04-23, 12:38pm

Artwhim... thanks.. that is nice of you but I went ahead and ordered it... lol.
(and I lost your number but would love to get together sometime.. I think we're close, no?)

Lynnie: THANK YOU again. I went ahead and ordered from Justin... just can't beat that price or the warranty! and he is a doll, super nice!

Boroburner: My hoses are coming from the same place my torch came from!
(I'm assuming that's all she wrote... maybe I'd better check??)
Old 2006-04-24, 8:21am

I have a 40 Cubic Foot tank and it lasts about eight hours. And is $15 to refill. I just refilled it and went home only to find out I was out of propane too. Now I'm waiting on my girlfriend to take me to get more.