Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-27, 12:04pm

Question Best Book For Studio Set Up??

Could someone please tell me which book to buy for General studio set up that has a section to explain Ventilation?? I have read posts in the saftey section and I am getting more confused. Was hoping on buying a range hood and that would be okay for ventilation, and using rigid straight pipe to vent it. Ha Ha ..
Now I understand about having it vented outside at least 10 feet away from your clean air source. Also that you must replace the air that is being expelled out.
I was thinking about purchasing Everthing you ever wanted to know about making glass beads by James Kervan do you think this is a good choice????
I have Passing The Flame and The complete book of glass beadmaking by Kimberely Adams already.
LOL, MarieAnn
Old 2006-12-27, 6:46pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Any Kervin book is very good.... Well worth having in your library... It covers a broad range of glass/studio/safety related subjects...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-12-28 at 9:21am.
Old 2006-12-27, 6:53pm

The Kervin book is excellent on many levels, but I think the very best source of information regarding safety is the Safety forum right here on LE, and the safety forum on Art Glass Forum. Dale, Mike and Bill are a wealth of information on all aspects of ventilation. I'm still getting mine set up, but they've been very helpful answering all of my questions.

-Diane
Old 2006-12-27, 7:25pm

My first instinct was this forum! I second Diane's post. Dale, Mike and Bill are great!

Old 2006-12-28, 7:01am

MarieAnn -- Kervin's book is excellent, but can be confusing at times. Nonetheless, you definitely ought to have it in your personal library. (A review of it is here: http://sgb-midatlantic.org/book_revi...n%20You%20Ever)

You might also look at this useful article on ventilation for beadmaking studios: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/9304/202/

Jan
Old 2006-12-28, 10:12am

FYI, Delphi Glass has Kervin's book on sale right now for $37.95:

http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...emsysid=144759

All of his books are well worth getting. But do have Mike, Dale and Bill guide you through getting your own area set up.

Good luck and happy torching!

-Diane
Old 2006-12-28, 11:21am
da General

MarieAnn,

I would post a thread in the Safety section once you have your work area figured out. I drew a plan of my space indicating the work table, size of vent hood (very important), walls, doors and windows, all with dimensions - Mike helped me make sure that I have adequate ventilation for my specific work area and most importantly good intake air flow.

For example, my hood from Glasscraft is 24" x 40" with a 650 CFM fan - I needed to put an enclosure extending the sides and back down to the work surface in order for the ventilation to be adequate. Mike told me that without the enclosure, it was "marginal." Since I like working with silver glass and foil, it is critical to add the enclosure. It's simply a piece of sheet metal bent twice at 90 degrees angle.

Also, if you plan to use frit, enamels, silver, silver glass, etc. - you will need to get a respirator - N100 - there are a few newer threads addressing that on the forum. I wear mine in addition to the ventilation system. One can never be too cautious when it comes to one's health.

Hope that helps. Good luck on setting up your studio.

Hayley

|
|
|
|
Old 2006-12-28, 12:06pm

Thank You Everyone!!
Once I get closer to figuring out what studio setup I will post it in safety section, after I do my homework. I will need to figure out ventilation and how to punch through concrete block. Thank you for your time