No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-19, 6:40pm
Happy 10 a.m.!

Default ask silver cinnamon

Is this glass supposed to be compatable with 104? I made a dozen beads with just this color and clear two days ago and as of today over half of them have cracked. I'm really bummed because it was the first time I got any color out of it besides tan. oh, I believe the clear was vetro crystal.

Thanks in advance,

Veda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2007-10-20, 3:52am
weird

Hi Veda - It is supposed to be compatible, but... you're not alone. I've made a total of 3 beads with Silver Cinnamon and 2 of them cracked. That was enough for me. The crack is not even with the mandrel. It goes across the bead sort of diagonally from hole to hole and is a bit jagged - on both beads. I didn't encase them, but I did use Effetre and Vetrofond colors for the decoration, and they were well annealed. Too bad, it's a pretty color.

Sarah
Old 2007-10-20, 5:17am

As far as I know, the only clear that you can safely encase the ASK colors with is the R4/Precision Diamond Clear. I even have a bead I did about 5 months ago in Violet Nights - that says DO NOT ENCASE, that I encased in Diamond Clear, and it is still fine.

Old 2007-10-20, 11:56pm
Happy 10 a.m.!

Thank you! I really liked this color - I'm going to have to go find some R4.

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2007-10-21, 12:25am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Hi Veda - It is supposed to be compatible, but... you're not alone. I've made a total of 3 beads with Silver Cinnamon and 2 of them cracked. That was enough for me. The crack is not even with the mandrel. It goes across the bead sort of diagonally from hole to hole and is a bit jagged - on both beads. I didn't encase them, but I did use Effetre and Vetrofond colors for the decoration, and they were well annealed. Too bad, it's a pretty color.

Sarah
That crazing kind of cracking is usually a compatibility problem. That's what I run into when I've been too vigorous with 96 frit over 104 glass.

With the clear (first post), what kind of clear was used?

I love the color, I haven't had much trouble with Gail's 104 frits on it, sparingly.

Old 2007-10-22, 5:18pm
Glass Addict

Thank God for Diamond Clear - no cracking problems for me either!

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-10-22, 6:20pm
Molten Glass Addict

I don't encase ASK glass, It always cracks.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2007-10-22, 7:40pm

I lost a handful of them too. Silver Cinnamon over Moretti clear, DH stringer...

Old 2007-10-28, 9:09am
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramdas View Post
I lost a handful of them too. Silver Cinnamon over Moretti clear, DH stringer...

These are really pretty!! Are these the ones that cracked?

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2007-11-22, 3:52pm

Default Newbie question

I am not sure whether to start a new thread or ask here.

I some beads today using vetro belgium lace for a base covered it with ASK silver cinnamon and then put raku frit over the ask. I reduced the whole thing then brought out the colors in the raku through repeated heating and cooling. I was REALLY loving the effect I was getting!!! I made eight of them. Five cracked right along the mandrel. I think this means it is thermal shock?? Could it be incompatibility? If it is thermal shock I will try to make them again, as I loved the color combo.

The biggest reason I ask is because I rarely get thermal shock any more. I was also making a different shape than usual as well. Basically the shape was a mashed rectangle. Maybe I was trying too many new things at once - I have that problem!

Vicki
Old 2007-11-22, 4:14pm
da General

Vicki - general rule of thumb . . . thermal crack is a straight line and incompatibility crack is jagged.

Usually when it's cracked along the mandrel, it's thermal shock.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-11-22, 4:37pm

Default That was what I suspected.................

At least if it is a thermal crack I can try to avoid it in the future.

Thanks,

Vicki
Old 2007-11-24, 8:01am
The "L-Shack Studio"

Hi,
I just joined this group, because I've read so much good info here.
And then I see I'm not alone with this darn ASK cinnamon glass.
What colors do work with this glass?
Beautiful beads Kramdas,
Thanks
Renee