AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2014-10-03, 5:42am

Question Great Information for a Novice

I know this topic is probably like beating a dead horse but what are some great books/tutorials (free or not) that a newbie can benefit from? This newbie works with a hot head torch and soft glass and enjoys trying to make pendants and marbles. I thank you all in advanced.
Old 2014-10-03, 5:57am

Cindy Jenkins' book, and Passing the Flame by Corina Tettinger. Bandhu Scott Dunham's books. There are many, many others. But the best place is LE-- read through the Tips and Tecniques section. Using the "search" function can help if you're looking for something specific. And the tutorial section as well.

Mimi
Old 2014-10-03, 6:16am
Loving learning

And YouTube videos are a help too. That's where I figured out I was rotating way too fast for example.
Old 2014-10-03, 1:06pm
Slogan Challenged...

yeah, the tutorial archives here are great!!! and the older tips and technique section usually answer a lot of questions as they come up. I've read all the way back to the first posts on this board and through again. Fun! Some of the tutorials posted on other lampworking websites are lost since the sites closed but some of the links still work.

You-tube is a fantastic resource that has only grown since I started. I would have relied on it a lot more during my beginner days. Watching someone work through a technique helps so much. You can find just about anything now. My current fave are the soft glass marble ones.

I have Cindy Jenkin's book, and that was enough to really talk through the basics and have a reference for that, but I still want the others so I can look at all the beads. LOL

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2014-10-04, 9:38am

Can someone refer a tutorial book or You Tube video for soft glass marbles and pendants?
Old 2014-10-04, 10:39am
Queen of the milo field

Drew Fritts - Torchworked Marbles Vol. 1 Beginner to Intermediate Techniques; Dichro-Moon Publishing, 2004.

Dichro-Moon
3875 E. Kingsbury
Springfield, MO 65809

Don't know if the address is still valid; book is out of print, however. You might be able to get it w/interlibrary loan, but I'm not certain.

Yikes! Checked Amazon & a few places & the price of this book is over the moon. I can see why, it's the only comprehensive how-to book I know of on marbles.

dj
Old 2014-10-10, 9:28pm

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Glass Beads.......you will find almost everything you want to know in that one volume and soooo many things that carry over into all torchwork.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2014-10-10, 10:07pm

I'll second Drew Fritts' book. I'd put it at the very top of the list, twice or thrice.
Old 2014-12-07, 12:50pm

Smile Video List

I'm a newbie and I am looking for videos on just plain simple beads, prepping your mandrels, even first time lighting your HH torch. Of all the tutorials on YouTube does anyone know if maybe there is a published list of beginner videos? Searching and going through looking just for the beginner videos is so time consuming and I really would like to spend more time on the torch than at the keyboard. Thanks for any info you can offer.

Houston, TX