No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-11-04, 11:26am
Bobby

Default Imprinting on glass

Brass Shim Stamps

The brass shim that I use is .229mm in thickness. It is thin enough to cut and bend and makes a very nice stamp for glass. You can find brass stock in most train/airplane hobby shops. They will have tubing, sheets and rods. I cut the brass with Fiskers and file the edges clean with a little sand paper.

I used a rod for the head on the butterfly, the rest is cut shim stock.
I start with a one inch strip and cut the pieces from that. 1/2 inch to embed into the Femo and 1/2 inch sticking out. I try my pattern out on a scrap piece of Femo and tweek it from there. When you push glass in at one place it is going to change in another place. Keep that in mind when making a pattern. You can tweek a finished stamp a little but not enough to loosen the brass from the Femo.

The Femo for the base hasn't burned yet from the hot glass. It doesn't stay that long or get that close to the real heat. I lay the glass on my marver and press into it with the stamp. I have made over 50 stamped beads from one of the stamps and so far it doesn't show any wear and tear. The brass soaks up a lot of the heat and the Femo has never gotten hot to the touch. So far it hasn't stuck to the glass and lets go real easy.

I know that everybody works different and I can only speak for myself as to the workings of the stamps that I make. Stamping in glass is not new but the making of your very own stamp is rewarding ! ! !

I roll out a cylinder of Femo 1 and 1/2inches tall and tape a piece of card stock thickness to the outside.......this helps when you push the brass into the Femo to keep it from pushing out of shape. Pound the Femo top and bottom with something flat to firm it up and make it compact. You need to keep it contained and solid while you add other pieces to the cylinder.

When you get all the pieces added that you want, you need to push in and around the brass to secure it and keep everything tight to the brass so it doesn't move. I then take the completed stamp and turn it brass down and push very carefully on all the brass pieces so they become even and level. Check everything before cutting the card stock away.

Remember to not push the brass in all the way......I have left 1/2 inch on the ones that I make.

Then you can cut the card stock away and trim close to the stamp if you want. I like trimming close because it helps me position the stamp on the hot glass easier. Remember to keep enough border around your stamp to keep the brass secure in the Femo.

I bake mine at 275* for almost an hour.....sometimes a little more..... I haven't burnt one up yet and it is thick enough that it needs good heat clear through.

First picture is of a card stock wrapped Femo that has not been completed.

Next 3 pictures are different views of a finished stamp.

A picture of the box top of the brass shim that I found in a cool little hardware store.

The finished butterfly from the stamp. Needs a little more tweeking. Thanks Liz R.....Heather and Laura for your feed back on the butterfly.

A picture of my signature stamp on one of my clowns.

Last but not least some hearts.

I have had a lot of fun making these stamps and have used them for some time. They have been road tested and I hope you have as much fun working with them. The designs and applications could be endless ! ! ! Also there is a little tweeking to be done even on this butterfly ! ! ! Sometimes they can't come out of the kiln fast enough to make changes. There is a lot of tweeking from the brass to the glass.............don't cha just love it ! ! !

Bobby

www.whitehotglassworks.com

Last edited by Bobby; 2006-11-07 at 10:38pm.
Old 2006-11-04, 11:49am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Way and totally cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-04, 11:51am
Bead Imp

I do just love it! And I agree with Kimberly...I think I love you too! Thank you for sharing this! My son has been after me to make him a bead with a celtic design, but my stringer control sucks! I'm off to the hobby store!

BTW, I love the butterfly!

Vicki
Old 2006-11-04, 12:07pm
Bobby

Kimberly.....Thanks ! I think sometimes I have more fun making the tool then anything else. Norman still watches me closely so I won't take things from the house and his tool box.

Tink............wow. I just know you can take this farther since you have a love for tools also.

Vicki..........The hobby shops are my best place for gadgets. Have fun with this one.

Post pictures ! ! !

Bobby
Old 2006-11-04, 6:15pm
Carpe Beadum

What a great idea!!! I love this! I can't wait to make some. Thank you so much for sharing!

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-11-04, 6:37pm

WOW is all I can say. I would love to do this also. So neat. You have such tallent with the tools and glass. Way to go.

Rose Leslie
Old 2006-11-04, 7:01pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Wow! How cool is this? I would have never thought of doing this in a hundred years! Thanks so much for sharing! Especially the box lid - now I know exactly what I need to buy! And I think I've got some old packages of Fimo I can use too!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2006-11-04, 9:06pm

Oh, I have been thinking about brass stamps on and off and NEVER would have though of the Fimo. Thank you. I too think I'm in love with you. Kim and I will have to fight it out.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-11-04, 10:43pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

So darn cool.. So many possibilities. Such an easy way to make a signature stamp..
Old 2006-11-06, 9:11am
Floral Obsessed

Wow, Bobby! Thanks for the pictures! I was imaging it completely differently before I saw them. What a clever idea, and the result is excellent. I really like how the butterflies turned out on those dark transparents! Thanks so much for explaining your process! Cheers - Heather

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2006-11-06, 9:21pm
Fire Monkey

Sweet!

H

Old 2006-11-07, 6:04am
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks Bobby! Glad to see ya back too!! Are you going to go back on Ebay? I really love your clowns!!

Old 2006-11-07, 7:41am

Those stamps are way cool! Long ago I made some beads using a brass stamp made for sealing wax, kind of fun...

Another use for this sheet brass is to replace your exacto blade with it. You can cut the tip to any shape you like, and it won't discolor rubino and other sensitive colors. If it gets bent you can either hammer it or just cut a new one, the stuff is so cheap.

Love the signature stamps!
Kim

[/size]
Old 2006-11-07, 8:05am

Thanks much for sharing this will sure come in handy. Mary M
Old 2006-11-07, 10:00am

Very neat indeed! Thank you. Barb
Old 2006-11-07, 12:01pm
Embracing My Wonkiness

...Just finding this now. Fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Lil
Old 2006-11-07, 3:21pm

Great tut again Bobbi!! Nice to see you back, Sheila

_
Old 2006-11-07, 10:37pm
Bobby

Default Thanks ! ! !

Thanks everyone for the comments and checking out the tutorial. Lets see some pictures...............

Keep thinking that I need to get back to e-bay but just haven't put in the time yet.

Norman is on contract in Salem, Or. and since we are kinda on hold, I'm trying out things that I have always wanted to do more of. Pottery....handbuilding and the wheel.......cold connections and silversmithing. Let me tell you I am finding the soldering curve a big one. I will get
it yet ! ! !

One of my most favorite loves is the making of tools and jigs to make a job fun. I sometimes spend more hours on the tool than the making of the piece.

So enjoy and post pictures of your stamps.......

Bobby

www.whitehotglassworks.com
Old 2006-11-08, 9:57am

brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just made some tools for impressing too. i used sanding bits set in leftover helicopter bearings and inserted them into wooden handles so it rolls easily on the glass for making human hair and lizzard skin. the original idea was from a tool i saw steve selchow use at agi. thanks steve! this idea of stamps is wonderful thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ro
Old 2006-11-08, 10:49am
Butt hurt misfit

Oh now this is brilliant! I will SO be doing this, thank you!
Old 2006-11-11, 6:16pm
Formerly known as LT

Thanks
Old 2006-11-11, 7:05pm
Senior Moment

The brass tubing works for simple shapes too.

Old 2006-11-11, 10:53pm
Bobby

Default Thanks guys ! ! !

Ro..........It took me a little while to wrap my mind
around a picture of the tool you made.
Clever idea ! ! !
I checked out the helicopter bearings....what a great idea.
That one would have come in handy when I was trying
to put designs around terra cotta pots.

Thanks again each and everyone of you for the
feedback and checking out the tutorials.
What would we do without them.

Bobby
Old 2006-11-11, 11:12pm
I'm a lilac!

Utterly ingenious! Thanks for sharing your brilliant idea!

Old 2006-11-12, 8:13am
The Andrea Half

That is brilliant!! However, a quick question: WHAT is Fimo / Femo and where does one get it??? Any tips for using it?

Old 2006-11-12, 9:18am
Detail G-Mama!

Fimo is polymer clay that you can get at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Fun to work with!

Old 2006-11-15, 5:36pm

THis is Wonderful!!!!!!!!! thank you very very very much~

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2006-11-15, 5:58pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
Fimo is polymer clay that you can get at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Fun to work with!
I wouldn't think that you'd need to get Fimo brand for this, and actually I'd recommend against it. Fimo tends to be really stiff unless you work it a lot to condition it and soften it up. (Or run it through a food processor, or sit on it, or carry it around in your bra for a while, or all of the above -- nope, I'm not kidding.) For some uses, that stiffness is good, but it wouldn't be necessary for this. The other brands are all much more user-friendly for this purpose. (I haven't done much with polymer since I got seduced by glass, and I know there has been at least one new brand since my polymer days, so if anyone knows a reason that this statement is wrong, please jump in and correct me.)
Old 2006-11-16, 12:32pm

Thanks for this tute! Now I know what to do with those left-over thingamabobs from my polyclay days. So much glassy fun, so little time.

Old 2006-11-16, 8:52pm
Bobby

Thanks Anne for the heads up.

Hi Kalera.....when did you work for Bullseye ?

Mincot.....Femo was just what I had around the studio when the muse struck. I just play with it like clay and it seems to really take the heat of the oven.

msritaa......I like the mee mee........that is the name the twins call my sister. My Mom was born in Arkansas.

Bobby