Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-06-14, 2:42pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite
Default One Hottie

Whewww! It sure is hot!!! I’ve been hitting the torch early, but I’ve been doing some bigger stuff with 1” rod. I got my major cranked! And with it in the 90’s outside my garage is a oven, even with ventilation.
So my question is: What do you all do to help keep cool?
Kare
Old 2007-06-14, 6:38pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

torch in my bra and nickers
Old 2007-06-14, 7:39pm
yukue fumei

Leanne, you are one brave woman!!!

I get my hair soaking wet and point the A/C vent at my head
If it gets really hot, wet T shirt+A/C works

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-14, 8:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
Leanne, you are one brave woman!!!

I get my hair soaking wet and point the A/C vent at my head
If it gets really hot, wet T shirt+A/C works
Oh boy, guess this is one studio where drop-ins really aren't welcome.

I am looking for a heat shield of some sort for my delta, and I also have my eye on a portable A/C unit, but I need to do another show to be able to pay for it first.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-06-14, 10:49pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
ooh you sexy thang!

Old 2007-06-14, 11:41pm
thinking4myself

Quote:
Holy cow, commando torching! You boro peeps really are brave souls!
Old 2007-06-15, 12:37am

embrace it. sweat your ass off and lose 5#s a day LOL

Old 2007-06-15, 1:49am
Boro Brat

I torch overnight when it's cooler Works like a charm!!

Old 2007-06-15, 9:23am

i got a welders shade from local welding shop, 5 bucks, attatched eye hooks to ceiling and ran fishing line down to hang it from . there is also a hook so i can move it out of the way when not in use, really keeps the heat off my face.
ro
Attached Images

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-06-15, 10:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post
i got a welders shade from local welding shop, 5 bucks, attatched eye hooks to ceiling and ran fishing line down to hang it from . there is also a hook so i can move it out of the way when not in use, really keeps the heat off my face.
ro

Thanks Ro! I think I will try that out on Monday when the welding shop is open.

By the way, where did you get your torch mounted marver? I want to get one of those for my delta as well.

Thanks!

Eric

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-06-15, 10:17am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

That is so clever Ro, what a fantastic idea! ( I do like the nekkid torching too thoug lol)

Old 2007-06-15, 10:39am

you can still do nekkid with shield, safety first suz! the marver is from griffin glass. i used teflon tape under it so it didnt scratch when i mounted it, had it since i got my torch no problems.
http://www.griffinglass.com/marvers.html
http://www.griffinglass.com/thirdhand.htm check this out, 3rd hand torch mount.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.

Last edited by Ro; 2007-06-15 at 10:43am.
Old 2007-06-15, 12:02pm

I work in the basement (cellar to some folks) - it's cool most of the summer even when it is blistering hot outside - yes, it does get in the 90's for most of July even in NH!

I also use a welder's shield, but with the flip-up head band. A damp bandana around the neck is comfy too.

Sals
Old 2007-06-15, 12:05pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
I do the exact same thing.

Anyone want to see pictures?

Trust me... you don't!

Old 2007-06-15, 12:24pm
Dangerous Woman

Yes Chad!

I do the wet clothes thing. I always wear a t-shirt though since I burned a boob with popping glass. I put a towel over my legs. But beware of sitting in wet underdrawers for too long. I thought I had diaper rash the other day!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-06-15, 12:43pm
Missing presumed fed

I posted this tip somewhere recently, but I guess it wasn't the Boro Room. A couple of summers ago, after a really sweaty day, I went home and made a whole bunch of neck coolers for my Open Torch group. They're just cloth tubes filled with some sort of crystals that absorb huge amounts of water. You soak them in water and then put them around your neck. You get the crystals at garden supply places or the garden section of Home Depot or Lowe's. They're supposed to go into potted plants so you don't need to water them as much. Each neck cooler takes a tiny amount of crystals -- less than a teaspoon, if I remember right. Directions are all over the internet, because it was a big thing to make neck coolers for the troops when the war started. They're easy to do if you have a sewing machine and even minimal skills. Make a bunch, throw them in a bucket of cold water (add some ice cubes) and switch one out for a fresh one whenever you start feeling too hot.

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm
http://www.west-point.org/family/sup...irections.html
http://www.operationhomefront.org/Co..._coolers.shtml
http://www.quilterscrossing.net/Pages/neck.html
http://www.scottcrewcandlesupply.com..._projects.html
Old 2007-06-15, 1:59pm
Serenity Now!

What a "cool" idea, Emily! (I can be corny, I know ) Thanks for posting it...

Personally, when a jump in the lake just won't do, I made a hole in my wall, and stuck in an a/c unit - hasn't been a day I've regretted it yet...

(Just one of the many pleasures of living in a wooden house tucked in the middle of the forest...)

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-06-15, 4:48pm
Dangerous Woman

I know what you mean Val. I jump in the pool. DH's current project is putting an AC in the garage. Hope he does it before Dec.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-06-15, 6:13pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Oh boy, guess this is one studio where drop-ins really aren't welcome.

I am looking for a heat shield of some sort for my delta, and I also have my eye on a portable A/C unit, but I need to do another show to be able to pay for it first.
it's a free show with marble LOL! Just kidding!

Delta...whoa...I have serious torch envy! One day....one day...

nagi

Old 2007-06-15, 8:02pm
Skeptical Optimist

Emily, we do a more primitive version of that: keep a bowl of ice and water around to dip a paper towel in and drape it across the back of the neck and shoulders. We take turns re-dipping and applying each others' paper towels when the other is torching. Works out nicely, plus having water with a straw around. Good idea though! Not doing the underwear thing nekkid though, since I pulled a lizard off its punty and onto my pants... I'll tell you I've never moved faster!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-06-16, 2:33pm
Somethings grow wild

Default hot and dripping

Oh you kids!!! Bra and nickers??? Oh no! I paid why too much for these beauties to risk ……… Ahhh I mean….You could get burned! Wet tee shirt…..I got that with in about a half hour. I’m thinking the heat shield would be good thing.
Now when your talking about A/C what about the ventilation? Would a swamp cooler be the way to go because it requires a draft anyway?
Thank you for not saying “make little stuff”.
I got this DVD that has Timothy Lindemann making a Chameleon on a Geode,(now that I think about it he uses a heat shield) and because I used to raise Chameleons I thought I would give it a go so:
Here’s what I’ve been trying to learn.

He's about 4"X4" Solid (if it wasn't for the Crack in the Geode)

And Cosmo
Kare
Old 2007-06-16, 6:56pm
Skeptical Optimist

WOW Kare That's Awesome!!!

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-06-17, 12:48pm
yukue fumei

OMG!! Kare--he's spectacular!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nagi

Old 2007-06-17, 2:48pm
Somethings grow wild

Thanks so much Patrice and Nagi. I've done a couple of others with the geode. I keep having cracking, so this time I made the critter first and put it in the kiln, then made the geode so that it never cooled before attaching the lizard. But when it came out of the kiln....a crack!!! I used mystery aventurine frit. Could it be the curse of the green??? Y'all got any tips to help with the cracking problem I'm all ears
Thank Kare
Old 2007-06-18, 8:56am
yukue fumei

it looks like it might be a "bridge" issue. When you join glass at 2 points onto another piece of glass, stress is created since the cooling rates are different for the thick and thin pieces. if there is enough stress built up, the area will crack at the thinner part.
I was watching the Lucio Bubacco sculpture DVD and he talks about how he creates an avulio on each part of the joining area , anneals each piece first, then attaches them at the avulio and then reanneals them. I'm sure there is much more to it than what I am explaining, being a sculpture newbie myself! maybe Ro or wickedglass can help!
thanks!!

nagi