No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-19, 8:46pm
Glass-aholic

oh good this thread popped up
Good idea on the brass.

Just wanted to say that I have sold out of the sets I made this year! So HOT item I got $15 for 5 pins and a small cheep cork board nice profit! ( I use the glue in method btw-not a lot of work!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-11-20, 12:04pm

Just found this thread and dig it! I just bought some beadable push pins from Karen Thomas, but sure would like to make my own. I am going to have to try this.

It is always so nice to find a new way to incorporate glass in everyday items to make them prettier!

Old 2011-11-27, 10:30am
Beadawhaaaa??

I found this thread back in Sept and followed the link Dave posted for the Needle Doctor. I thought those needles were a bit pricy at .24 cents each. I had a pack of plastic top push pins and broke those off to use the pin parts. Pain in the butt and messy. So I searched on eBay and found a guy, bought a pack of 300 Steel Victrola Needles for $12.50, at .04 cents each, a much better deal. They are awesome and work perfectly for the push pins! I just use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold them while I work. The eBay site is http://stores.ebay.com/Gettysburg-An...id=p4340.l2568. He also has a website, but you can't order from it, www.victrolaguy.com, though you can email him.
Old 2012-06-27, 11:00am
Cat Winx

BUMP
I love these ideas!
Thanks to all of you
~Rachel

Old 2012-06-27, 9:51pm

I have some of these push pin blanks from Karen Thomas. I love them!
http://www.karenthomas.us/catalog.as...28792&detail=1
Old 2012-06-29, 8:10am
Glass-aholic

wow, pricy! but neat that its a 'beadable' product

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-29, 12:59pm

I just happened to be on Karen Thomas Designs website and she has beadable push pins.
Old 2012-11-15, 11:17am
Pincel de Fuego

Exclamation my epoxy sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
really its easier to glue the pin ends in AFTER you make them. It gives you more creative freedom at the torch, and is easier to round out, because you dont have to worry about your heat melting your pin. I make mine on the end of a 1/16th dipped mandrel, then glue them onto any pin end i want. no fuss...
Hi Jaci, and Cynthia, and others, bringing this thread back to life after a very long time... I made all of these earrings...

...by doing them on the end of the mandrel, and then gluing the sterling silver posts in with two-part epoxy... ...but then! The epoxy doesn't stay! What brand are you guys using??? Those of you who have been successful, have you had this problem before? Have your earrings/pins/headpins held up after time?

/
/
Old 2012-11-16, 10:27am
Glass-aholic

Loc-tight or any other 2 part epoxy (5min). The only time I have not had it work is if I mix it wrong, or its old. My pins from years ago are still holding tight, as are some wine stoppers and other items.

What are you using?

Old 2012-11-16, 11:02am
Uh Oh....

I use 2-part epoxy (5 min) but I don't have any success with gluing a wire into a hole either. They stay in but if I try really hard to bend them, they will loosen up. I have had better success with the posts that have the metal circle on the end. Using these, the glue seems to spread over the bottom more and the post part stays on better. I have some customers that are very hard on their jewelry....

Old 2012-11-16, 3:37pm
Pincel de Fuego

Right. I thought the same thing, that they were too hard on their jewelry, but then my own earring came apart as well. I'm using a 2 part epoxy but I think it's the wrong kind. I'll post the brand when I get home later on...

/
/
Old 2012-11-16, 3:40pm
Pincel de Fuego

Thanks for the tip on the "loc-tight"!

/
/
Old 2012-11-17, 5:06am
Pincel de Fuego

The one I'm using is PC-11 Marine Epoxy

/
/
Old 2012-11-17, 8:00am
Glass-aholic

Never tried marine epoxy... I get cheap stuff, just make sure it's rated for metal and glass. There are a few different kinds, and also colors (clear, yellow, grey and black) I use the clearest non yellowing and the black, depending on what I'm doing.

Old 2012-11-17, 9:44am
Pincel de Fuego

Thank you SO MUCH Jaci

/
/