Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-05, 2:45pm

Default letter murrini

I need cane with a dark blue base and the letters UD on it. I would also like UD on a red base. Does anyone out there do this?

Jill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-05, 9:42pm
I speak Murrini!

Hi Jill!

There's a couple of us that do...at least that I know of.

Shelley (bshelle here on LE) makes great side-by-side lettering murrini - she's advertising this service in the Self-Promo Section: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=233724 and in her Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlowPondGlass She can do the letters next to one another, and her work is beautiful!

I do custom murrini but mine would have one letter inside the other, meaning (for example) a "D" inside a larger "U" or the reverse being a "U" inside a larger "D". This is because I work on a Hot Head so I do the entire cane in one shot.

I will tell you that from lots of experimenting, both Shelley and I tend to stray away from making letter cane in colors other than black and white; this (as Shelley explains on her Etsy Page) is because other color combos can tend to be less sharp (and can also bleed or blur) and some colors (i.e., Opaque Lapis Blue is a good example) tend to be brittle! Of course you'd have to check with Shelley to see if your desired color combos are something she'd be willing to try.

Shelley, as you can see, is offering her work in 30-piece+ lots; I on the other hand require that on all custom signature canes (custom lettering, that is) the customer buy the whole cane since it's an "exclusive". My canes generally are anywhere from 12" to 15" or longer, which yield about 100+ slices...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-11-06, 3:34am

Thank you so much DeAnn. I found a post yesterday from 2005 from Robert Simmons who also does this. I sent a pm and he answered and is going to come to my rescue. I will definitely file this away for future use. Thanks!!

Jill

Old 2012-11-06, 8:39am
I speak Murrini!

Oh yes, wonderful! Sorry Robert - I should have included you on the list! Glad you found what will work for you! Hope you will show pictures of how it comes out!

Old 2012-11-06, 5:54pm

Hey DeAnne,
No worries - I've been a bit thin on the ground lately. I think that this is going to be a fun project, looking forward to getting started. My wife gave me 2 back-to-back classes with Emilio Santini at Flametree Glass for my birthday (it had a 0 in it) so I won't post pictures (if it's OK with Jill) until next week some time.
Cheers,
Robert
Old 2012-11-08, 9:19am

DeAnne you can build short letter words in one shot - without having to assemble smaller pieces.

You just build the image with thick stringer sideways.
Old 2012-11-11, 10:16am
I speak Murrini!

Lynda...

Thanks for igniting my imagination! I may have to give that a try!

De

Old 2012-11-12, 7:07pm
Shelarious

Thanks De for the links and the nice words! I really love making letter/word murrini - I want to figure out how to fuse at some point so I can start writing more extensively in glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuels View Post
I need cane with a dark blue base and the letters UD on it. I would also like UD on a red base. Does anyone out there do this?
I have done this exact same color combo early in my murrini days, and I would not do it again. Blue and red are difficult to see delineation in the small size of murrini that you use on beads. If you reversed it and had a very light red background with very dark cobalt letters you might be happier.

This isn't to say it can't be done, it's just my experience.

Old 2012-11-17, 7:55am

Here are the finished letter canes, about 4.5 mm in diameter. Thanks much Jill, it's fun doing murrini again.

Robert

Old 2012-11-17, 3:54pm

Those are wonderful
Old 2012-11-17, 7:02pm
Shelarious

Fabulous Robert, well done!!

Old 2012-11-17, 9:06pm
I speak Murrini!

Awesome Robert! And the use of the black and white with the color as the final surround - brilliant!

Old 2012-11-19, 10:52am

I love it!! Thank you, Robert.

Jill