LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-03-12, 7:52pm

Default Rv/camper studio question

I am thinking of buying an old pull behind camper to convert into a studio. I would love some feedback on your experience. My number one question is how to deal with the electrical load by plugging in 2 concentrators, exhaust fan, lighting, kiln, ac, and extra stuff.
Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Laurie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
Old 2012-03-12, 8:56pm

Having a husband for an electrician would be a good start. A lot of those campers/
trailers leak from the roof and need extra work when putting the exhaust fan etc in . Rotten wood from moisture. Can be done and there are some on here with photos. Maybe do a search . Someone on here has a cute one done up in their yard.
Katie
Old 2012-03-13, 8:14am
honorary bead lady

Studio, search this forum, trailer
Old 2012-03-13, 10:05am
BeadsonCypress

I use a 28' camping trailer as my studio and couldn't be happier. I converted the tub area in the bathroom to Glass Storage. Kiln sets on the stove top and put stainless steel tiles on the "walls". I put ceramic tiles underneath. The kitchen table area is used for cleaning and my grinder and occasionally assembly. The bunk area over the table makes great show storage. The bedroom was stripped and that is where I torch.

I've only used one 5ltr concentrator and kiln, lights and crock pot on regular 120v sole circuit. If I add the heater or AC it's too much. You might need two lines.....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2012-03-14, 8:14am

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I will need to hire an electrician for this project.

~
~
~
Old 2012-03-14, 10:17am
Curmudgeon Engineering

"Having a husband for an electrician would be a good start."

When you find that husband for the electrician I'm sure she'll be very happy. LOLOLOL

Seriously, there are a bunch of peeps here who have built studios in trailers of various types and sizes. Most RV parks have at least 30 amps available on their hookups so if you are carefull in what you use it is very doable. If you have to use a generator you will need a somewhat hefty one probably in the 4000 watt range. Still doable.

PJH
Old 2012-03-15, 5:52pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Are you talking about doing this "on the road", or parked in your yard? I can run my kiln off one Honda generator - but NOT while I'm running anything else. And the AC in our 30' trailer really pushes the electrical system. You may find you really need to consider batch annealing.

L-111

Old 2012-03-15, 8:29pm

I'm am just going to park in in my yard. I think I will run electric to it from my house.

~
~
~
Old 2012-03-16, 3:38am
BeadsonCypress

It will need to have it's own line and breaker.....check your box to see if your service can handle the additional line, you might have to add some service! I would NOT recommend an extension cord. Plus if you've seen the wiring "tail" that runs from your trailer it is a bit special, that will need a special outlet. Camping - trailer - electrical supply stores have these.

Old 2012-03-16, 5:49am

Good info Susan
Thanks

~
~
~
Old 2012-04-01, 6:21am

After lots of thoughts of buying an older pull behind and adding all that would be needed to make it work for flameworking, I ended up at a trailer manufacturer and am having an
8 x 10 concession trailer made to my specs. Probably would have spent the same amount of money on an old one after adding everything. Now I just have to patiently (ha!) wait six weeks for delivery!! So excited.
Old 2012-04-01, 9:24am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
I'm am just going to park in in my yard. I think I will run electric to it from my house.
That is what I did when I turned my horse trailer into my temporary studio. I use heavy contractor all weather extension cords and I had my electrician rewire the garage and added two 40 amp four plug outlets. Post number 55 shows how I did it.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...=124125&page=2

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-04-01 at 9:26am.
Old 2012-04-03, 6:55am

I use an old trailer for a studio. It has two of its own circuit breakers & I run two concentrators, my kiln a tv, cable box & two lights at the same time, no problem.

I do have to 'preheat it' though because I cannot run my heater at the same time. No biggie as it stays warm once I am torching.

One of the nicest things about using a travel trailer is having the countertops & storage space plus plenty of lights from all the windows.
Old 2012-04-03, 2:39pm
Katherine

What about the venting and air circulation?

Old 2012-04-04, 3:56am
BeadsonCypress

My work table is set up with windows on two sides and two door ways on the other. I open one window and a door (cross ventilation) and if there is not enough air, I add a fan in the door way. I haven't had any propane headaches in 2 years!

Old 2012-04-04, 8:19am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass obsessed View Post
What about the venting and air circulation?

Venting is easy using windows especially in a trailer because an open window will be just a few feet directly behind you so it pulls the air in right over your shoulders and we placed the blower on top of the workbench and opened a window for it to exhaust in the ducting right to and out of the window.
Attached Images

Old 2012-04-04, 12:30pm
Katherine

Thanks for the info. And I love the picture.

Old 2012-05-18, 9:40pm
Formerly Fancypants

I am in the process right now of transforming an office trailer into my studio. It was really a trailer 8 x 30, they had already gutted it, put new walls up, new floor, a built in table at each end and had a air conditioner for one of the windows. It has at each end two side windows and a larger on above the table. There are two small windows on one end on both sides and we took one of those out today to use for the exhaust using a above the stove exhaust. It to top it off, it has all the electric in, we are changing the lighting so I have more light. One end of my new studio will be for my bead making and the other for stained glass.
I am here looking this evening for ideas of making something for the back of my bench, something dark maybe painting a piece of plywood black for there, which will close off the whole with of the window where I will be torching. There are two larger windows on either side I want to leave as is so I can open for fresh air.
I think I will be happy with this trailer as my new studio, so I won't call it a trailer, it is my studio.
Oh I also am furnishing it with shelving and storage through the auctions. lol
OMG I have to tell you, I have been searching all over for ideas for my glass rod storage, I was looking for mail slots to use, they are really cool if you can find an auction that is auctioning off school furnishings. Anyway this last auction I was giving up on my find and just as the last page of items where going off, I bid on this file cabinet that I didn't see. Went to pick up my items and asked where this file cabinet was, it is huge and heavy--- I opened the doors and OMG shelves for my glass rods, it was a mail sorter thingy from the school office. These things can be moved for different heights, the smallest 1 inch. I hit the jackpot. Problem is to figure out how to keep the glass from getting mixed together, I figured I can put three colors in each section but I need to figure out how to keep them divided. Any suggestions?
Also do you think I need to close off that whole back window behind my torch?
One more thing, I also won at the auction this huge heavy shelving unit, where they kept the pots and supplies in the cafeteria. I has 5 shelves measuring each 48"x 27" so my DH is cutting the legs down and is making me a work bench with will be all made of stainless steel. He is going to make that with 2 shelves.

Old 2012-05-18, 9:50pm
Formerly Fancypants

OH ignore my spelling is some of my post above, I type like I talk, don't take breaths when I should, so I see I messed up a little. I reread after I hit post. :[

Old 2012-05-19, 8:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonips View Post
After lots of thoughts of buying an older pull behind and adding all that would be needed to make it work for flameworking, I ended up at a trailer manufacturer and am having an
8 x 10 concession trailer made to my specs. Probably would have spent the same amount of money on an old one after adding everything. Now I just have to patiently (ha!) wait six weeks for delivery!! So excited.
What a great idea. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like when it is delivered!
Old 2012-05-19, 5:31pm
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

my studio is a 30 ft office trailer.....i really love the space,and it has wrought iron security bars over the 5 windows.....i actually got mine free...i was awake at darn reading the paper , saw an ad "free office trailer, you haul" well, i was the first caller... and the second and the fourth.....and the 6th.... number five did not have a chance....
it has a half wall dividing one third in the back, two doors....they are such a wonderful space.. tho if i was travelling to shows and such i would want a 4 horse trailer size....i do have a small enclosed box trailer which perfectly holds my portable show bench and supplies.....am getting that fixed up now....myself, of course so it may just take a while....so excited for all of us rolling adventurers

Old 2012-06-25, 1:36pm

Default Tonips

Well, obviously the 6 week estimate was way off, but the trailer finally arrived - in the middle of our little tropical storm. So frustrating. Haven't been able to get out there at all, it's been raining so hard.

Anyway, have a couple of "before" pix to share, and when it's fully equipped, I'll post a couple more. So exciting! Let's see if I can get these pictures to upload.

Toni
Attached Images

Old 2012-06-25, 7:11pm

That looks really cool. Can't wait to see the inside progress!

Jen
Old 2012-06-25, 7:27pm
Salt Box Beads

Really cute Toni, and sturdy too.
Old 2012-06-26, 4:00pm

Thanks for the nice comments. Now if it would just quit raining! I see you're in Gainesville, too, Jen, so you must be under water, as well. We're without power in Fort White tonight and most of yesterday. Hope it comes back up soon. Didn't have time when I got home to collect a bathtub full of water. Hopefully this will go away by the weekend so I can get into my little studio!

Toni
Old 2012-06-26, 6:50pm

Ft. White - you must be flooded - be careful. I will post a pic tomorrow of my new studio.... it is now water front property in my back yard, lol.

I have a good friend in High Springs who torches also. We will need to get together!
Jen
Old 2012-06-27, 3:26am

Sounds like fun, Jen. I love getting together with other firebugs!

Toni
Old 2012-06-27, 5:04am

Diana and I also - we will plan something -