Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-04-05, 11:14pm

Red face Low Ceilings?

Hi. This is my first post. I see alot of people setting up in small sheds. I'm wondering how low your ceilings can be and still be safe? I understand you need to be 2 - 4 feet away from wall depending on your torch. I understand how ventilation works, but is the ventilation cooling things off near the ceiling enough if its low, (6 to 7 feet)?

Im thinking of my garage. it is unfinished, the ceiling looks like 7 feet, but the rafters hang down from there 6'. If i put hardie over it Id have a 6 foot cieling with an airspace (or insulation?) in between the hardie and the garage ceiling. the ventilation fan would have to be right near the ceiling to still be 24-36" from work surface whichseems to be recommended.

I'm using a Knight major bench burner, and i built a box/hood out of a heavy duty shelving unit from home depot. the middle shelf is the work surface (3'x5') and the bottom of the hood is 24-30" from that. I used a curved piece of sheet metal for the top so that it had more flow than a totally square box. The sides are flat tho. I'm still deciding on what fan to use.

Feedback would be appreciated, Its been a long time since I've worked with glass and i finally found an possible space to set up. Eager to get behind the torch again but i wont start again until the space is safe.

thank you for reading, 6 to 7 ft. ceilings???
Old 2014-04-06, 7:25am
Gentleman of Leisure

If your ventilation is designed correctly... Hood size, height and air flow, including make up air, ceiling height should be a non issue unless you are bumping your head on it.... 6 feet seems awful low for any ceiling build especially for garage......

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-04-06, 1:09pm

Thanxs Dale. its probably 7 ft. definitely a funky house. there are other spaces/options im considering, each has thier own pros/cons. ill post pics when i make a decision.
Old 2014-04-06, 4:09pm

...the ventilation is not for cooling things off...it is to remove the combustion by-products. If you have an overhead hood as long as you're not banging your head into it you should be fine. If you have a funnel type hood i wouldn't worry unless the ceiling is getting hot.

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators

Tags
low ceiling