LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-01-14, 9:39pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

Default Shamrock tutorial?

I have a friend that loves everything irish and I'd like to make her some shamrock beads for her birthday coming up ... does anyone have a shamrock tutorial or any tips or ideas to share?
Old 2007-01-14, 10:01pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

3 green dots...over a stem.....heat as for a floral....instead of poking the center, pull the tip of the dot to the center and the outer aspect as if making a heart....shamrocks are little more than 3 green irish hearts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-14, 10:11pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

Sounds great, but I need pics. lol! I'm sort of "reading challenged" as I learn by seeing ... I guess I should've asked about pictures first.
Old 2007-01-15, 2:35am

Heres your basic shamrock

If i read the suggestion right - make 3 dots and rake\drag each of them inwards towards the centre (like you would do making hearts)

You know - I hadnt considered the shape as heartlike - and its so obvious when you look again (maybe its a man thing - like not seeing things in the kitchen)

Navarre (a bearded beadmaker)
Old 2007-01-15, 8:26am
ManBearPig

I actually got a request for a Shamrock implosion pendant on Saturday. I'm going to try to make it tonight. I'll post pics of my result...

Oh, and I know where everything is in my kitchen, thank you very much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-15, 3:12pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

Duh! Makes perfect sense to me now. Would you do the same thing for a 4 leaf clover, just no stem? Just wondering how you tackle those if you've made them before.

I will try these this week and post results.
Old 2007-01-15, 4:17pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

4 leaf clover....I'd still use a stem (sort of semi-circle) and 4 dots.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntfingers View Post
Duh! Makes perfect sense to me now. Would you do the same thing for a 4 leaf clover, just no stem? Just wondering how you tackle those if you've made them before.

I will try these this week and post results.

Old 2007-01-15, 5:12pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Could you put 4 dots and then rake them toward the middle to look like a heart, then add a stem?

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2007-01-15, 7:01pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

when you "build" the image - the stem is UNDER the leaves.....so it has to go down first....then the leaves added over the stem.....same as building any sort of flower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janakisses View Post
Could you put 4 dots and then rake them toward the middle to look like a heart, then add a stem?

Old 2007-01-17, 11:00am
Anna Duhame

Hi Christy!

I'd suggest the same things...4 green "hearts" on top of a stem. I can't wait to see what you make!

Old 2007-04-06, 8:34pm
RollOut

hey girls I was wonderin could you do the same thing for an implosion 4leaf but put the stem down last , to try an make a 4leaf implosion pendant,, my sister wants one so I have to make it some how Ima keep searchin these tuts b4 i try it

thanks

CriP

Old 2007-04-06, 8:52pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

In my mind....it would work.....but then LOTS of things work in my mind!

Old 2007-04-08, 10:36am
Crunchy ol' Momma

I haven't had anything come out decent enough to photograph. I'll keep practicing though ...
Old 2007-07-22, 9:11pm
A Splash o' Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarre View Post
Heres your basic shamrock

If i read the suggestion right - make 3 dots and rake\drag each of them inwards towards the centre (like you would do making hearts)

You know - I hadnt considered the shape as heartlike - and its so obvious when you look again (maybe its

Navarre (a bearded beadmaker)
This is great, but yesterday I had a request for a 3-D Shamrock as a pendent. Any ideas? Haven't attempted it yet, but I'm thinking of starting with a barrel towards the end of a mandrel for the stem, building up a gather on the very end and pressing it into a basic lentil shape and then clipping with scissors and pulling the cut ends back towards the center into a shamrock. Works in my mind...but as I've said, I haven't tried it yet so I'm open to all other tips and tricks that anyone here has made in 3D and that want to share?

TIA,
Barbara

Barbara

Old 2007-07-28, 11:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntfingers View Post
Sounds great, but I need pics. lol! I'm sort of "reading challenged" as I learn by seeing ... I guess I should've asked about pictures first.
Not sure if this will work, but just in case?
Instead of raking the dot, try pushing the glass against the top of the dot, but not touching the dot, towards the center of each leaf. Does that make sense?

FWIW,
Angela

Last edited by ziggys; 2007-07-28 at 11:31pm. Reason: It didn't come out right
Old 2007-07-31, 1:08am
Venus Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbbeads View Post
This is great, but yesterday I had a request for a 3-D Shamrock as a pendent. Any ideas? Haven't attempted it yet, but I'm thinking of starting with a barrel towards the end of a mandrel for the stem, building up a gather on the very end and pressing it into a basic lentil shape and then clipping with scissors and pulling the cut ends back towards the center into a shamrock. Works in my mind...but as I've said, I haven't tried it yet so I'm open to all other tips and tricks that anyone here has made in 3D and that want to share?

TIA,
Barbara

Barbara
As you would make a 3D flower I would make the shamrock the same. Make a short green barrel and create a semi circle of green glass around the top. Build it out into a thin disc. Get your scissors out and cut your four or three leaves. Heat the end of each leaf and with a knife make a crease in the top. Heat out the chill and tool marks and gently draw a crease line down the centre of the leaf.

The other method would be to create a small round bead, then apply four dots. Squish flat and add glass to the outer edges. What you are doing is making a clover from a birds eye view. Just as you would a flower. Instead of raking out, you're pushing the ends in.

Old 2007-07-31, 6:20am

I decided in the early hours this morning that I wanted to make one of these as a thank you to a 4Her. If I end up with anything I"ll try to post I was going to do them as suggested by Bloody Valentine.
Old 2013-07-25, 7:54pm

anyone have pictures or did anyone do a shamrock bead by itself instead of on another bead? I have a request also.
Thanks in advance.
Cherri
Old 2013-08-02, 10:55am

I make a shamrock off mandrel pendant with four leaves. Melt blob of glass the size of the pendant that you want. Press on to flat surface to make disk with glass rod at 90 degree angle. Maria shape not lollipop. Flatten to size that suits. Cut into quarter segments. Use knife to make indention on middle of each leaf and shape the leaves. Punty on to edge of leaf. Remove glass rod from back of disk. Add glass bail to one of the leaf segments. Pop off punty and place in kiln. I live close to Savannah GA. These are a big hit around St Patty's Day.

http//www.daufuskieislandglasshouse.com
Old 2013-08-02, 1:10pm

This is one of the first one's I made so sorry for the wonkiness. I've gotten better. Same technique as was mentioned above this post

Old 2013-08-02, 1:55pm

oh Awesome.. Thank you.

Cherri
Old 2013-08-02, 7:18pm
Senior Moment

Leah Nietz did a Twisted Shamrock Bead tutorial that was a giveaway with the March 2013 issue of The Soda Lime Times. I don't know if it's still available, but you might want to contact Diane Woodall at SLT, or Leah herself to see.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-08-07, 4:56pm

Alli... contacted Diane and she was so great.. Unfortunately, the Twisted Shamrock is a start bead.(I think that is what you call it), not a shamrock in shape.. It is beautiful, but not what was hunting for. Thank you so much for mentioning it. Diane, thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to dig it up for me to take a peek at.
Cher
Old 2013-09-10, 5:59am

Default shamrocks and clovers

I tried them several different ways and the person choose the three dot method.

I ended up doing equal amounts of shamrocks and clovers and she was happy.
Thank you all for your help.

Oh.. The color combo she liked was transparent green with opaque green shamrocks and clovers she liked the contrast.

Thanks again.
Cherri
Old 2013-09-10, 3:24pm
Senior Moment

Glad it all worked out and you have a happy customer

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-09-23, 8:11am

Default Shamrocks

I like to use opaque green base dots (I think it is nile green) with transparent green over that (dark emerald usually), then use a knife to crease and pull the dots into the heart shape, giving them a more 3-dimensional look. I also make 'vine' cane with at least one line of intense black or dark brown, pulling it very thin. This gives a bit more dimension to the stem.

Here is a hollow bead ornament I made with shamrocks.
Good luck , and please post pictures!
Tina

Old 2013-09-24, 5:53am

Oh Tina that is so pretty.. I will have to post some pictures of the ones I ended up making for my friend.. Not any where as beautiful as yours. She did not want the transparent over and I thought it was really nice?.. Oh well.. Will post soon.
Cherri