No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-31, 11:18am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default Baleen technique...

Am I correct in assuming that the baleen technique is a secret and can only be learned by taking a class or trying to figure it out on you own? Just wondering.

Thanks, Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-31, 11:34am
boro color bender

It's Micheal Barley's technique and I think learning it from him would be the most respectful way... unless of course he says otherwise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-10-31, 11:39am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thanks Brent, that's what I thought... just wanted to make sure.

Old 2008-10-31, 12:15pm
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

In August at the Frantz bash ,Michael demo'id. I also had a class with him, but for the life of me I cant remember how it was done.
I am sure yoy could ask Michael, he is very nice and helpful.
Katja
Old 2008-10-31, 12:36pm
Storm Queen

Ya know what? I was thinking of emailing Michael and asking him if he has given any thought to doing a tutorial for purchase on that technique. I would so buy that!

Old 2008-10-31, 12:38pm
Storm Queen

Especially since every time I've tried to get into his class it's full. The man is popular!

Old 2008-10-31, 12:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would buy that tutorial

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-31, 1:03pm
Burn baby, burn

See post #38

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...=baleen&page=2
Old 2008-10-31, 1:15pm
Knob Creek Glass

Me too, and I already took his class.
Old 2008-10-31, 1:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
That is pretty much how I figured to do it and be close.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-31, 2:05pm
Dichro Addict

I would buy his tutorial!

Last edited by lenora; 2008-10-31 at 4:11pm.
Old 2008-10-31, 2:11pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

All this input is great! Thanks a lot!

Jack

Old 2008-10-31, 2:32pm
Storm Queen

Well I just emailed him so let's all cross our fingers...

Old 2008-10-31, 3:40pm
novembersfyre everywhere

The reply in that thread is close but not totally the way Michael does it. I must say his class was one of the best classes I have ever taken. Well worth every penny!

Old 2008-10-31, 3:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
The reply in that thread is close but not totally the way Michael does it. I must say his class was one of the best classes I have ever taken. Well worth every penny!
hey! No teasing!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-31, 7:13pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

My sister and I just took a class with Michael, and I have to say he shared every technique with every bead. He is a patient and thorough teacher. We were all working so hard at doing it right, none of us were talking!!!
I would recommend his class to anyone.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2008-10-31, 7:16pm
I think I could be a bead

I took the same class with beadgal, and it was great! Michael is a fabulous teacher, and I think we all learned a lot!

Old 2008-11-01, 7:05am

Default Baleen Technique

Would I ever buy that tutorial!! I just love love love beads made with it so please Michael Barley, do a paid tutorial for us. In South Africa we are really very disadvantaged in not being able to take classes from the masters. I have purchased a few online tutorials and they are all fantastic! The online tutorials are especially fantastic for us because there is not expensive shipping cost and you have your tut at the click of a button so no three week waiting period for the post to arrive.
Old 2008-11-01, 10:00am
Storm Queen

I got a response back. I really want to take a class from him, he seems like such a great, nice guy in emails. Anyway, he said it was a possibility for the future but he makes no promises.

Old 2008-11-01, 2:33pm

Too Bad. I'd buy it too!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-11-01, 2:45pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Strange, I emailed him and never got a response.

Jack

Old 2008-11-01, 2:58pm
Storm Queen

Maybe it got lost in his spam folder or maybe he just hasn't gotten to it yet. I imagine he gets a lot of emails. I know that sometimes I get an email from a customer with a question and I'll read it and want to think about how to answer.....then I forget to ever answer it for a couple of days until I'm cleaning up the email box.

Old 2008-11-01, 3:12pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

You're probably right. We'll see.

Jack

Old 2008-11-01, 3:54pm
Storm Queen

Oh...and don't forget to check your spam box too!

Old 2008-11-02, 10:33pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I got my email back from Michael. What a very nice gentleman.

Jack

Old 2008-11-02, 10:43pm
Storm Queen

He is, isn't he? I had emailed him once before to yell at him. He actually stated in an eBay auction that his beads were not "art". I felt the need to give him a what for. That bead was indeed ART. He was very nice and funny with his reply.

Old 2008-11-02, 11:40pm

I have tried to contact Michael a few times, but not luck jet. Maybe my mail gets in the spamfilter to.

|
Old 2008-11-03, 8:07am
Ezzy

I don't tell anyone how to do anything anymore. You'll get flamed even if the person who taught you the class gave you the go ahead to do whatever you wanted with the technique and gave specific permission to share - and yes, there are teachers out there who do that. Hell, you'll get flamed for giving too specific information on a real basic technique. So what's the next best thing? The artist himself.

Michael Barley is featured in the Bead & Button interview here: http://www.beadandbutton.com/BNB/Obj...bpdf070492.pdf

Read and you will be rewarded with a clue. And if you ever get the opportunity, take a class with him, he is one of the two best, most encouraging and generous lampwork teachers I've had the pleasure to study under.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Last edited by PixieFireBeads; 2008-11-03 at 8:16am.
Old 2008-11-03, 8:54am

Annie, I'm sorry, but in my opinion your interpretation of what has been discussed in numerous threads recently is not what I understood. I don't recall that anyone has said if you have explicit permisstion from an instructor that you can share the techniques they taught you that you shouldn't do that.

I think common courtesy would be if you haven't received that permission and if you haven't made the specific technique your own, and if the instructor is still teaching that technique as part of their classes that you refrain from sharing with others what people are learning in the class.

And just as an adjunct to this, that specific technique - perhaps not performed in the same exact manner (because I have no idea how Michael does his baleen technique) - has been around for many years. It's a fairly common technique and can be used to get different effects depending on how you use it. Michael does a really fantastic job of using it in his beads.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-11-03, 9:00am
Ezzy

Pam, all the contention on other parts of the board started out of a technique thread where photos were at issue. However, someone else in that same thread specifically went on about how they didn't like anyone giving any specific information on even the most basic technique. My comments in that specific technique thread also had to do with the issue of what we should share and what we shouldn't. And by the way, last year, after taking a class from Tink I got an ugly pm telling me I should not have shared how she does handles when she specifically stated we could share anything. But then again, people who weren't in the class know everything that was said.

I didn't misinterpret anything, I made my comments based on my experience.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Last edited by PixieFireBeads; 2008-11-03 at 9:04am.