LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-03-09, 2:30am

Default how long does your propane last?

I seem to have the never ending propane tank! Is it magic??? I think I have gone about a month now... when will I run out? My regulator doesnt seem to have moved???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-09, 2:35am
I fart diamonds

I don't get to torch as much as some (most), but my first tank lasted about 6 months. I'm into month 4 on the 2nd tank.

Old 2006-03-09, 3:10am
the Evil One

Mine usually last about 3 months and I torch 25 or so hours a week. By the way its bbq size and I am on a bobcat.
Sandra

Old 2006-03-09, 4:39am

Generally you get about 6-250 tanks of oxy to 1-20lb tank of propane, but that is a really big generality, of course. The gauge on your propane regulator will not start to fall until you are almost out of propane, then it will fall really fast, maybe over a couple of hours. I always keep an extra tank around so I don't have to steal the one from the bbq in the middle of a bead!!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-03-09, 5:28am
boro color bender

6 to one is a pretty close ratio. I have 6 propane tanks and change mine about twice a month. It's really cheap and lasts a long time compared to Oxy tanks.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-09, 8:42am

If you use a small flame a 20lb tank can seem like its lasting forever.
months even. But Some thing big like a delta torch and its every 7-10 days of work. On my redmax its about every 10 days of work.
But I start to keep my eye on it when the tank starts to feel light and I can only feel a small amount of liquid sloshing around in the tank. or once the gauge starts to fall I got a few more hours left and it done. But if you pick up the tank and giggle it a bit you can get a pretty good feel for how full or empty they are.
Old 2006-03-09, 8:54am
Safety ALWAYS

Enquiring minds want to know: how do you giggle a tank?

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-03-09, 9:17am
boro color bender

It's like tickling a fancy... except there's a tank involved.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-09, 9:39am
one day at a time

Mine lasts only two months, but I torch 6-8 hours a day, and likely 5-6 days a week. Only not lately....I've been slackin'.
Old 2006-03-09, 10:27am
Formerly SirWatson

I only torch for two hour intervals and will torch around 2-3 days a week. My bbq-sized tank usually lasts me six months.

<><
Old 2006-03-09, 11:56am

Since I have gotten my minor, I torch from about 11p to about 4 am 7 days a week, I have switched out 3 ox tanks before I got my concentratory and I have put 50 hours on that since I got it. so what are the benefits to switching to NG if the tanks last so long and are so cheap to fill?

Old 2006-03-09, 2:32pm

11pm to 4am? Man, that is my sleeping time.
Old 2006-03-09, 3:22pm

yeah it is my kids sleeping time too!

Old 2006-03-09, 4:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky
Since I have gotten my minor, I torch from about 11p to about 4 am 7 days a week, I have switched out 3 ox tanks before I got my concentratory and I have put 50 hours on that since I got it. so what are the benefits to switching to NG if the tanks last so long and are so cheap to fill?
1. You don't run out, as long as you pay your gas bill, lol.

2. No tanks to lug around, or in and out, or up and down. Also no tanks of compressed, explosive gas sitting around.

2. NG is less dense than air and won't pool like propane, relieving you of that particular safety issue.

I'm sure there are other advantages I'm not thinking of.

So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab...

Old 2006-03-10, 7:13am
Safety ALWAYS

The only "bad" thing about NG is that it is cooler, and even this isn't necessarily a bad thing...it's only cooler by about 200 degrees of flame temperature.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-03-10, 9:15am

how do you giggle a tank?
LOL LOL I din't catch that. Should of been jiggle the tank.
But My tanks have no sence of humor so giggleing them would be useless.
Old 2006-03-10, 2:01pm
Mary Lockwood

Minor.

Working between 35-45 hours per week.

20# propane tank.

Lasts me 3-4 months.

Old 2006-03-10, 4:27pm
San Diego Toni

I have the special bottomless propane tank too!
Seems like it has been forever since I had to fill it...6 mos?

toni