Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2007-08-10, 10:47pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beads-on-Toast View Post
Thank you DAWN i owe you everything!!!

Wow, Anna! These are Beeeeee-utiful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2007-08-10, 10:59pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
Hi Pat,
I'm so glad these tips have helped!

Yes my husband sees Filbert just about every day. You know we relocated him to a nice wooded are right next to where my husband works. I try not to stop by because Filbert loves me so much he follows me right out to my truck in the parking lot. It breaks my heart and I don't want him getting hurt, so I just stay away and get reports from hubby.
Pat, he grew up to be such a handsome little man! I mean he really is far better looking than the other squirrels he hangs out with. They have funny little rounded faces and he doesn't. He also has rust accents in his fur that just makes him so dashing! And I'm not just saying that because I'm his Mom either!
That is great that Filbert is doing well - sorry you're not able to visit with him though . What a cutie he must be!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-08-10, 11:07pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
That is great that Filbert is doing well - sorry you're not able to visit with him though . What a cutie he must be!

We have a girl squirrel that has been coming to our back yard for a few weeks now, so I've been putting corn out for her too. When she first showed up I thought maybe it was one of my girls but she looked much older and I could tell she has already had babies. Now she's getting fat and happy and showed up two days ago with a boyfriend! The little booger chased her away from the corn, so she must have ditched him because today she came by herself!
They are such fun to watch!

Old 2007-08-11, 8:35am

Talking Thanks Dawn!

Wow! Just read this whole post and just have to say:
Dawn, What great directions and the PATIENCE!! You're really sweet to share your style, technique and gorgeous beads with everyone. Thanks for sharing!!!
Pam
Old 2007-08-11, 3:35pm

Wow Dawn....it just amazes me that Filbert still wants to be around you after he got out into the wild. And it breaks my heart a little that you can't go and get him and bring him to your backyard. So cute. Here's just a quick pic.

Old 2007-08-11, 3:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
We have a girl squirrel that has been coming to our back yard for a few weeks now, so I've been putting corn out for her too. When she first showed up I thought maybe it was one of my girls but she looked much older and I could tell she has already had babies. Now she's getting fat and happy and showed up two days ago with a boyfriend! The little booger chased her away from the corn, so she must have ditched him because today she came by herself!
They are such fun to watch!
I have a baby from this year that visits me every day - cause I bribe her with peanuts of course . She is so used to me that I can get within a couple of feet of her before she gets nervous. I just love her!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-08-11, 3:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Very nice, Pat!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-08-12, 10:55am

Thanks Squidzy. That's so cute how you and Dawn can get these critters to come so close. I can't even tell the girls from the boys. haha. But I do take good care of the birds.
Old 2007-08-12, 7:55pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post

These are gorgeous, Pat!!!
Do you pull your own goldstone? I've only used goldstone stringers from the factory and they are so pale by comparrison. I guess cause it's like goldstone with a clear core.

Old 2007-08-12, 8:00pm

WOW you guys, there is some LOVELY Raku in here!!!

Ia gree about home-made goldstone stringer... NOTHING beats it!

I made these beads below with the twisties I am selling (Raku and Intense Black twisties pre cooked!) as an experiment before trying them out on you guys LOL. WHat do you think of the colors I got?

Hugs
Lynnie

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-08-12, 8:05pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Oh Squid and Pat!!!
Today I saw the girl squirrel hopping through the side yard with something BIG in her mouth. When I went to the window for a closer look, it was a baby!!! She was relocating it from a nest in the tippy top of a tree, to one of the palms in the front yard. I don't know how many there are cause I only saw her move one, but that explains why she looked so thin and shabby a few weeks ago when she first started coming around. Now she's a pretty little corn fed mama. All I can say is that she better take good care of those babies because I'm not ready for the every four hour feedings again!

Old 2007-08-12, 8:06pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Oh my that is so wonderful! So really, you're feeding babies but just a little more indirectly this time!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-08-12, 8:08pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady View Post

I made these beads below with the twisties I am selling (Raku and Intense Black twisties pre cooked!) as an experiment before trying them out on you guys LOL. WHat do you think of the colors I got?

Hugs
Lynnie

Oh Lynnie!!! Those are going to be a real hit! Wonderful colors!!!

Old 2007-08-12, 8:12pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:

Oh my that is so wonderful! So really, you're feeding babies but just a little more indirectly this time!

Throwing corn on the table is MUCH, MUCH easier than warming a bottle every few hours! And I'll be happy to corn feed the babies too when they are old enough to follow mama into the back yard. The little peanut heads.

Old 2007-08-12, 8:14pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Get pics if you can!!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-08-12, 8:49pm

Oh Gosh we are going to need pics of those new cuties.
Danelady those have alot of great color.

http://www.greatrough.com/rough_goldstone_red.shtml This is where I bought the goldstone. Broke it up with a hammer, preheat some in a small metal dish in the kiln. Punty a chunk, melt add more. Then encase with some rubino is a good one. Leah Fairbanks showed us that one. makes it a rosy color.
Old 2007-08-12, 9:14pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
http://www.greatrough.com/rough_goldstone_red.shtml This is where I bought the goldstone. Broke it up with a hammer, preheat some in a small metal dish in the kiln. Punty a chunk, melt add more. Then encase with some rubino is a good one. Leah Fairbanks showed us that one. makes it a rosy color.
VERY cool, Pat! Thanks so much!!!

Old 2007-08-12, 9:19pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassartist View Post
Wow! Just read this whole post and just have to say:
Dawn, What great directions and the PATIENCE!! You're really sweet to share your style, technique and gorgeous beads with everyone. Thanks for sharing!!!
Pam
Awww....Thanks Pam!
Hope something in this collection of tips helps, and remember to post pictures of your raku beads!

Old 2007-08-16, 1:22pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

My raku is still a bit muddy, but they're not encased, and I Dotted from a rod rather than frit... it's thicker on the bead. Soooo... because I wanted the pattern to sort of STAY, I 'm guessing I didn't get it hot/cool enough.

Still.. some pretty deep purples, and some rusts and greens. Nice fall assortment.
I should encase next.
Attached Images

Old 2007-08-21, 9:24am

I have one more to add to the discussion.
Old 2007-08-21, 9:30am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Very nice, Pat.

Elly - I have found that cooling quickly is as important as getting really hot. I am able to cool mine enough by blowing really hard on it as soon as I take it out of the flame. Try cooling it faster and you may get a better "strike" of the colors. The colors you have there are very pretty though!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-08-21, 11:00am

Default goldstone buy

Would anyone want to do a goldstone group buy? I don't know how to do that, but I would be interested in buying some in small quanities...
Thanks,
pam
Old 2007-08-21, 3:09pm

Thanks a bunch Dawn! I'm going to try to make some beads incorporating both the Raku AND Goldstone! Lets see how it goes!
Quote:
Oh Lynnie!!! Those are going to be a real hit! Wonderful colors!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady

Hugs
Lynnie

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-08-27, 12:21pm
bead-dreaming

Dawn

Thank you so much for the tips! I finally got raku to do something other than taupe ...sorry for the bad pic. These beads were made on a cobalt blue base with small size raku frit.

Mary

Last edited by beadreaming; 2007-08-27 at 12:23pm.
Old 2007-08-27, 8:48pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
My raku is still a bit muddy, but they're not encased, and I Dotted from a rod rather than frit... it's thicker on the bead. Soooo... because I wanted the pattern to sort of STAY, I 'm guessing I didn't get it hot/cool enough.

Still.. some pretty deep purples, and some rusts and greens. Nice fall assortment.
I should encase next.
Ooooo! Elly, those are gorgeous! If you ask me, those are perfect for ANY season!

The darker colors with the rusts and greens come from working it in the flame for an extended amount of time. (Like while you were doing all the twists.) And because you really had to spot heat it to do the twisting, it helped develope the colors.
I can pretty much determine how to get the effect I'm looking for, but sometimes it's even a total surprise to me.

Old 2007-08-27, 8:53pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
I have one more to add to the discussion.
Very nice Pat!!! Gorgeous color and more of that lovely goldstone.

(I think I've pulled several miles of it since you gave me that tip. Soooo pretty! Now it's just sitting in a vase waiting for that "golden" idea to pop into my head....)

Old 2007-08-27, 9:04pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadreaming View Post
Dawn

Thank you so much for the tips! I finally got raku to do something other than taupe ...sorry for the bad pic. These beads were made on a cobalt blue base with small size raku frit.

Mary, those are wonderful!!! I love raku in every form, but I think encased is still my favorite! You got some very nice colors there!!!

Now before you forget how you did that, do it again, but on a black base! I've tried the cobalt a few times and it seems to make the raku just a little bit harder to keep the color. I did notice a difference between the cobalt and the black as a base color, so lets see if you come up with the same results.

There are certain colors that I've found, for me anyway, seem to suck the color out of my raku unless it's applied really thick, like heavy dots or thick stringers / twisties. Cobalt, any transparent green and transparent yellow are a few I can think of right off the top of my head that I've had trouble with.

Old 2007-08-27, 9:08pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Very nice, Pat.

Elly - I have found that cooling quickly is as important as getting really hot. I am able to cool mine enough by blowing really hard on it as soon as I take it out of the flame. Try cooling it faster and you may get a better "strike" of the colors. The colors you have there are very pretty though!

Squidley.....will you come blow on my bead?
(I'll make you some cheese grits....)

That's what I need! I need to hire a bead blower

Old 2007-08-28, 6:44am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Squidley.....will you come blow on my bead?
(I'll make you some cheese grits....)

That's what I need! I need to hire a bead blower
I love cheese grits, so maybe....

I get a little lightheaded sometimes I am blowing so hard! I just bought a huge air compressor - I will be interested in seeing if I can cool off beads by hitting them with compressed air - wouldn't that be funny?!?!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-08-28, 10:42am

Quote:
I love cheese grits, so maybe....

I get a little lightheaded sometimes I am blowing so hard! I just bought a huge air compressor - I will be interested in seeing if I can cool off beads by hitting them with compressed air - wouldn't that be funny?!?!

I have to confess- I fondled a compressed air can at Staples just yesterday morning thinking of using it for my EDP
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!