No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-06-22, 7:16am
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
SNORT!!! Yes, that is true!! ROFL!! I have to be sure I am not drinking when I fix them. Gets a little too rowdy, expecially if I have an audience. I will say no more...................................
Oh you guys! Thanks now I have soda coming out of my nose! I had this mental picture in my mind! It didn't help that I misread this too..now I will say no more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-06-22, 2:31pm
Teagirl

Thanks, guys!

It's wonderful to offer, I'm just trying to get people more aware of the fact that there are lampworkers out here across that big salty watery thing.

No, I don't mean Lake Michigan!

I'd love to know more about the cool stuff that is pretty much everyday knowledge in the US, I might have to make a big list of cool things and where they can be found, but it won't help if the maker won't ship to us direct, yanno? I can't always ask for the kindness of glassy folk.

-Su

'Modern glass - Ancient roots'
Old 2006-06-22, 4:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette
Hint: If you twist the cane as you pull it, the murini will look like little fireworks.
Great tip Shawnette! Also, great pic of your children. Your older son actually looks happy in this one
Old 2006-06-22, 5:26pm
mikefrantz

Default man clam

Xinh's Seafood Resturant serves this style of clam in many manners including; sauteed, fried, civiche and they are all great. My favorite is civiche. If you ever get to Pike's Market in Seattle, the sellers will make fun of this clam! It does remind me of a horses's tail.

Mike
Phone: 360-426-6712
Toll Free: 1-800-839-6712
Fax: 1-360-427-5866

Old 2006-06-23, 11:43am
Type ZZZ personality

I bet you could make a murrini tool by hammering some nails in a chunk of wood. Cut off the head of the nails. I may have to try that.

I learned that "fake" murrini in Dustin Tabor's class. It's cool and sometimes looks like an eyeball.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-06-23, 11:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio
I bet you could make a murrini tool by hammering some nails in a chunk of wood. Cut off the head of the nails. I may have to try that.

I learned that "fake" murrini in Dustin Tabor's class. It's cool and sometimes looks like an eyeball.
There is a picture of just that along with a how to in Cindy Jenkins last book.

Old 2006-06-23, 12:03pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Yep. I made one of those about four years ago. It worked pretty good, too. I prefer using the inside of hotfingers now, but it's better if they have more than four "fingers".

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2006-06-23, 12:19pm
Type ZZZ personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Black
There is a picture of just that along with a how to in Cindy Jenkins last book.
Yeah, that's probably where I saw it...

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-07-05, 7:10am
SandyQ

LOL.... it is called a goooeyduck or geoduck or something like that! LOL

http://www.foodsubs.com/Shelfish.html

Scroll down.

I used to live in Washington State, in Bremerton, along Kitsap Way right below Eldorado Hills - (if that is what they call it still) about 23 years Ago. We used to go to the bay all the time and dig these suckers up... My dad (mostly) would be the one actually DIGGING...as we were kids and not quite fast enough to get them dug up LOL. Personally, I was scared to death of them as a kid bwahahahaha

(gross looking, hmmm?) LOL
Old 2006-07-06, 1:07am

Quote:
There are a lot of non-US lampworkers out there, but we get virtually nothing of the interesting tools or glass that is easily available to US artists.

Yes, it's a bit of a crab about the situation.

from the Netherlands
Jenny
Old 2006-07-06, 11:33am

If I'm thinking of the same technique I saw a suggestion to improvise by using a small kitchen wisk that has the end cut off. Squish the glass in and pull it out with the indents from the wire.

Might help someone wanting to try without investing a lot. (Or not. )
Old 2006-07-18, 8:57pm
Design Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Black
you know the beads that aren't done till you ruin em ????? Here are a couple that just went wrong, or just didn't have any direction. the fun part is making the murrini ! Make them in all colors !

Sorry about the bad pictures too ! now you know why I stick with ivory most of the time !
Those beads FREAKING ROCK!!! drool, drool, drool
Old 2006-07-28, 4:41am
Goofbead

I learned this from Kate Drew-Wilkinson as well.

If you do not want the collapsed look, just at a small dot of clear. You can get different results depending on the direction you marver it.

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai
Old 2006-07-28, 5:27am
sunscreen me baby

This thread is proof.... give us a keyboard and we can talk about anything! lol

~

Old 2006-07-29, 1:17am
Resident Luny

If she's cookin 'em, I will make sure she gets toasted!

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2006-08-07, 12:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by softbleu
I learned this from Kate Drew-Wilkinson as well...
gosh, i never have time to come out to the forums anymore. i just saw this thread (i was looking through tutorials for inspiration). yep, i was asked to demo my "bronze age" bead at glass stock quite awhile ago, so that's where corina and several other folks saw this technique. i, too, learned it from kate drew-wilkinson during open torch at the sgb gathering in oakland back in 2000. i had been making beads for 4 months when i went to that gathering, and was overwhelmed - but i did take away some great info. i use these in a lot of my beads, and when kim affleck and i did a collaboration at glass stock, i put some of these on the hearts that kim made. here's a (lousy) picture of one of our collab beads. i don't twist the cane as i pull it - on this heart, i twisted the murrini after i placed them on the bead and flattened them.

Old 2006-08-07, 5:53am
Detail G-Mama!

I love my collaboration heart of ya'lls! So you rested up yet from the Gathering yet?

Old 2006-08-07, 2:07pm

naw anne, haven't had time to rest from the gathering. i had to get ready for my stepson's wedding, then i started teaching lampwork classes again down in san jose, and had a kumihimo class at my studio yesterday. busy busy!
Old 2006-08-08, 12:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
Hi Shirley! It is SO GOOD to see you!

Hugs,
Kimberly
kimberly!!! haven't talked to you in a bazillion years! how the heck are you?
miss you, girl!

hugs back atcha,
shirley