No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-12-07, 7:44am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Talking

Here are some of the latest scales:

I'm trying to figure out how to keep the scales intact on a long tube...they get warped at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-07, 8:14am

AMBER i LOVE the warpage on the tubes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Here are some of the latest scales:

I'm trying to figure out how to keep the scales intact on a long tube...they get warped at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-12-07, 8:17am

Those tubes are stunning Amber!
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-12-07, 2:59pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Thanks Lynnie and Jessica!

Lynnie, I'm still gonna strive for solid scales on those tubes... LOL

Old 2006-12-07, 9:58pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Amber, if you don't mind, what color is that beautiful blue in the 3rd scale bead? I've tried alot of blues and can't get any to not smear into the ivory. The green and EDP scales come out uniform but I'm not having any luck with blues.
Thanks!
Edie
Old 2006-12-07, 10:08pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Edie, that's Lauscha Steel Blue...it, too, is the only blue I have found that spreads like that...

Old 2006-12-08, 7:35am

I LOVE your beads Amber. You have inspired me to
order my first bottle of "Etch All". I should have
it soon and now I have a tutorial on how you make
your beautiful beads. Lucky Me!

Thank You!!!

One Hot Piece Of Glass!!!

Old 2006-12-08, 7:45am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Wonderful, Beadbelle! Just make sure you use gloves when you work with the etching solution. A box of hair salon gloves from a beauty supply store is sufficient.

Old 2006-12-08, 10:33am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

ditto on the warping, those tubes are awesome, I'll give it a try tomorow!

Old 2006-12-08, 12:34pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Edie, that's Lauscha Steel Blue...it, too, is the only blue I have found that spreads like that...
Thanks Amber, I would have sworn I tried the steel blue, must have been some other Lauscha blue. I'll give it a try!

Edie
Old 2006-12-09, 4:44pm

Amber, I have read this entire thread and just wanted to tell you,....thanks for the tutorial and, you have soo much patience and have a really wonderful heart!! Thanks for all the tips and for your wonderful generosity!!!!
Old 2006-12-09, 6:29pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadbandit View Post
Amber, I have read this entire thread and just wanted to tell you,....thanks for the tutorial and, you have soo much patience and have a really wonderful heart!! Thanks for all the tips and for your wonderful generosity!!!!
I second, third and fourth that - Genorosity is your middle name, right AM??

I finally took that pic of my first "good" dragon scale bead - base of Vetrofond Yellow Ochre (aka baby poo green) with EDP on top of the SIS:

Old 2006-12-09, 6:33pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Suzanne - oooh, I'd love to see your results!

Edie - oh it certainly could've been Steel Blue... I find I have to put a small dot of it on the SIS dot to get it to spread better - use too much Steel Blue and it won't flow right...persnickety glass...

~blush~ Thanks, beadbandit!

Old 2006-12-09, 6:34pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

OOOh MJ!!! We were posting at the same time!

That bead is FANTASTIC!!!! It's a round ,not a lentil, right? EDP does such cool stuff as a scale color!!!

Old 2006-12-09, 6:44pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

Quote:
OOOh MJ!!! We were posting at the same time!

That bead is FANTASTIC!!!! It's a round ,not a lentil, right? EDP does such cool stuff as a scale color!!!
Yup - it's really round. In fact, someone asked me how I got it so perfectly round. Somehow, they just happen that way when I add the dots for the scales . . .

The EDP does definitely do some wild things as scales - from pinks to corals to almost white to bright purple. Just funky!
Old 2007-01-04, 9:44pm

I added a video demo of Amber's tutorial to my hotglass/youtube collection. I used some different materials because I needed to use what I had on hand so it isn't exact. If you are interested in seeing an amature take a stab at this bead style, here it is -> Dragon Scale Bead

Thanks,
Ross - hotglass
Old 2007-01-04, 10:51pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Ross, I LOVE the video! It's great and I'd never even thought of using RAKU! That's brilliant! I hope seeing the process in action helps those who've had a little trouble. Thanks so much for doing this!

Old 2007-01-04, 11:00pm

Ross the Dragon Scale Video ROCKS! THank you!
HUGS
Lynnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCat View Post
I added a video demo of Amber's tutorial to my hotglass/youtube collection. I used some different materials because I needed to use what I had on hand so it isn't exact. If you are interested in seeing an amature take a stab at this bead style, here it is -> Dragon Scale Bead

Thanks,
Ross - hotglass

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-03-05, 9:27am
Crazy Snake Lady

There's now a video how-to on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIobh-SsyVE
Old 2007-03-05, 2:56pm
Feverish Little Minx

Amber: Your beads are rockin'! The tubes are tubular, man! LOL!

I'm all out of clever.
Old 2008-03-14, 3:03pm

Default What a fun tutorial, lets see if I can upload a picture!

Usually it takes many tries to get a tutorial to work for me. I got lucky and this one worked on the first try. (Shock!) It may not be perfect but it was a lot of fun and I love this look! Thanks *Noas*
The video from Ross at HotGlass was very helpful too.

Last edited by ziggys; 2008-03-14 at 3:11pm.
Old 2008-03-14, 3:16pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Wonderful, Angela! I'm so glad it worked for you on the first try! Nice silvering around the scales!

Old 2008-03-15, 8:04am

Thanks Amber! I was amazed at the color changes using good old EDP on dark Ivory.
I've got to try letting the bead droop and make the dots move and look more like scales. But I think that these beads are so pretty just by putting dots any old place.

Old 2008-03-26, 7:53am
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

Thanks for this tut I love the scale effect .... will it work with gold leaf?

my first two beads

and a thimble I made with scales, its in this thread

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...17#post1754117

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2008-03-26, 11:03am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Mark, I haven't tried it with gold so I'm not sure! Hmmmmm... I'm thinking it might not work though. I think silver flows better than the gold but all we can do is try it, right?

Nice scale beads - you're getting some great color reactions out of the EDP! And the thimble is fantastic!

And as always, etching can really bring out the scales, too!

Old 2008-03-27, 7:13am

Here's a picture of my latest dragon scale bead. This was done with opal yellow, silver wrapped ivory stringer, and raku stringer.

This picture is of a dragon scale bead and felted bead necklace. The beads were done with copper green, silver wrapped ivory stringer, and EDP stringer.

I love dragon scale beads. I would love to hear about other combinations people have used.
Old 2008-03-28, 6:48am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Tracey, very nice! I like both styles of scales! I wish I had thought of raku. LOL

One of my favorite combinations is the Lauscha Steel Blue for the dots. It speads so nicely over the silvered Ivory. See the one pic left at the top of the page, bead farthest to the right.

I'm sorry my pics keeps disappearing! I have to delete things from Picture Trail every once in a while and I always forget to keep the pics for this thread intact.

Old 2008-03-30, 5:26pm

o.k. had to do it ... I tried dragon scales with gold leaf wasted two sheets of leaf and a couple of hours finding out that the gold fumes off without any of the reaction you get from the silver with the edp of course all I ended up with was odd shaped dots off edp on black or white no metal deposit in the transition space ... phooie

your milage may vary

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2008-03-30, 5:48pm

Well, Mark, that is a shame, but you sure have 2 beautiful beads that you did with silver, the two you posted here!
Old 2008-03-30, 10:51pm

LOL thanks Carol ... I hate wasting time and materials even though I know its the only way to find out some things ... wasting stuff bugs me ... although lately my waste and future frit piles are getting rather large due to experiments that I could have passed on with a little more reading here but I already spend too much time here

on

Tags
generous, inspiration