No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-09-16, 10:44am
CA Queen Bitch

Thank you, my Sweet Kimberly!
~Me~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-16, 11:52am

Being so new to glass, this tutorial is really going to help me! Thank you so much! You should see the twistie disasters I have created! giggle
Old 2005-09-27, 6:30am

thank You so much Kimberley.

With each day we learn and learn if we keep an open heart.

twisties (I call them latticino) are my speciality but i never saw somebody doing it that way. It's worth a try. Again thank you so much for sharing.

natty
Old 2005-10-20, 2:49pm

Default Oh GEEEZ!

Kimberly I made this cane and then the seahorse last week, I put it up on Chat but I FORGOT to show it here! I am SO SORRY, your directions were GREAT. Now I just need to learn technique!
Thank you SO much!
Hugs
Lynnie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-11-22, 1:19pm
Anna Duhame

I finally have a seahorse worth sharing...sorta....I have been making sea life beads and trying to come up with something other than just jellyfish then I remembered the seahorse tutorial.

He is kind of quirky and his head it too big, but I kind of think he is cute!

Old 2005-11-22, 7:17pm

They sure are!
Thank YOU for everything you do to help us learn! (Including letting us try seahorse beads!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
Great looking seahorses!!!! I am glad you guys are trying them! Aren't they fun to do?!?!?

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-11-22, 8:55pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Great looking seahorses!!!! I am glad you guys are trying them! Aren't they fun to do?!?!?
Thank you!

Yes, they are lots of fun! Thank you for sharing your techniques with us!

Old 2005-11-25, 6:57am
Anna Duhame

I think I have one that I am really proud of....this seahorse is only 1/2 an inch in size. This has been part of my problem...I have been trying to make them teensy. I think I know how to get it to work for me....

Old 2005-11-28, 8:54pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Yep. bigger is better in so many ways!!!! May of the beads I make are much easier if you make them a little bigger (or in my case A LOT bigger!). I am glad you are having fun and having some success!!!

I am kind of stingy with my glass...lol...I think of making a great big bead and then having it end up looking awful and I chicken out. Anyway, your seahorses are so amazing the way YOU do them...I couldn't even come close! I have to say that your twistie technique is what made me finally able to pull decent stringers and twisties. I use it in every single bead I make these days. Every piece of seaweed and every jellyfish is that much realistic because of your teaching!

I was thinking of making some all black or dark red twisties encased in clear for my ocean beads...then I get the general shaping for the seahorse, but with a slightly different effect.......

Old 2006-01-16, 12:55pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:

I want to see the seahorses folks come up with, too!!!

Kimberly
Ummm, ok... you asked for it!!!

Remember, I have only been at this for about 2 months. I'm on a HH & tend to melt things too much, but I was really pleased with this lil guy.

Thanks for the tut, Kimberly! (this is the only way I know how to pull twisties..)

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-01-20, 9:46pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Ughhhhhhhh! I tried again (his face/head is so long, he looks like he was bread with an anteater...) ... and I melted this one even more. Poor guy, his tail was so melty, it tried to dribble off the bead. Hopefully, my raking abilities will improve when I get the right tools.

My daughter (8 yrs old) and I LOVE your seahorses, everytime you post more, she has to look at the thread several times. She was really excited that I was going to try one.... when I showed her mine, she said "That's really good... for YOU, but you aren't going to show that lady that makes the really pretty ones are you?" LOL!!!!!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-01-20, 9:54pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly
Ughhhhhhhh! I tried again (his face/head is so long, he looks like he was bread with an anteater...) ... and I melted this one even more. Poor guy, his tail was so melty, it tried to dribble off the bead. Hopefully, my raking abilities will improve when I get the right tools.

My daughter (8 yrs old) and I LOVE your seahorses, everytime you post more, she has to look at the thread several times. She was really excited that I was going to try one.... when I showed her mine, she said "That's really good... for YOU, but you aren't going to show that lady that makes the really pretty ones are you?" LOL!!!!!
Gelly, I think your seahorse has a lot of character! He is very cute! I especially like the eye...mine NEVER look that good! I need to try one again sometime... I am kind of stingy on making the size of bead that I really need...lol.

Old 2006-01-21, 9:21am
Smile, it's contagious!

Thanks Anna.... the one on the black base broke last nite! I knew I probably didn't have it evenly heated before I plunged it into the ole vermiculite. Worked too long on the bottom half, and should have completely reheated the whole thing.

Mine aren't nearly as big as Kimberleys. The bases are pretty flat, and only about an inch tall. I think they are fun, but very frustrating!

Old 2006-01-22, 9:55am
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly
Thanks Anna.... the one on the black base broke last nite! I knew I probably didn't have it evenly heated before I plunged it into the ole vermiculite. Worked too long on the bottom half, and should have completely reheated the whole thing.

Mine aren't nearly as big as Kimberleys. The bases are pretty flat, and only about an inch tall. I think they are fun, but very frustrating!
Oh, that is too bad! I have tried tiny ones too and I think they are pretty hard! I think yours have a lot of style! I look forward to seeing more!

Old 2006-01-23, 11:23am
Smile, it's contagious!

I meant to post these the other day when I put them in the gallery... they are some other beads I made with this twisty tut.

The tree of life and a kitty

Old 2006-02-12, 2:26pm

Kimberly, thanks for this tutorial. I've been having so much fun!!! Twisties were kind of one of those things you have to do sometimes that isn't your favorite, but now, mine look fabulous!!! They are even, lump free and pretty! Thank you.
Old 2006-02-12, 3:23pm
Crispy Critter

Here's one I made using Kimberly twisty.
Attached Images

Old 2006-02-17, 5:53pm
Crispy Critter

Thanks, Kimberly!

Old 2006-03-14, 12:21am
oldest member

Default twisty..

Thanks so much for a great tut..with even better photos.......tried it and loved it ...cheers vic
Old 2006-04-29, 4:07am
bailey, my golden girl

Old 2006-05-03, 5:55pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Awesome tut!! I tried to make one tonight but when I grabbed the end I pulled the whole thing off........I've only been doing this since beginning of april and only a couple hours a week, bits at a time. What did I do wrong?
anyone know? I'll try again tomorrow but if anyone knows what I did wrong Please let me know! Thanks
sue
lake wales
Old 2006-05-06, 4:39pm
speed winding is a sport.

Kimberly..you are the most giving lampworker ever....You showed us this method when you were teaching in Michigan and I have used it countless times for different effects...thanks so much for being so "open" and sharing.
Jan

Old 2006-07-20, 11:21am

Default WOW!! this is so much fun!! I'm loving how to learn to make seahorse!

Kimberly!! YOU ARE JUST PLAIN AWESOME!!! I can't beleve I actually made a seahorse. I used to have an aquarium full of them when I was raising Straight Egyptian Arabian horses. Still have one horse left and have been just itching to make me a bead with something to do with horses!!

I found out about your twisty tut yesterday morning. I ran straight to the hothead and cracked about 8 of them out lickity split because they are so easy after reading your tut.. Then I saw [IMG]your Seahorses for the first time yeasterday also and had... And I mean H A D to give it a try..
Here he is. Not nearly as proffesional looking as yours but I think with a little practice, I can create my own design of seahorses. I've just got to make ME a necklace with these be horsey beads!!

Here is my first seahorse bead. PS, These are my favorite colors....

THANKS SO SO MUCH KIMBERLY!!!
sorry, The pic is in post #106.. Had a little trouble

Last edited by slcuniques; 2006-07-20 at 11:59am.
Old 2006-07-20, 11:42am

Default I think I have this photo thinkgy figured out now. HOPEFULLY

Here is my seahorse bead.. I think? LOL I made mine with a mane and long flowing tail just to be a little different... "SHE" was a blast to make !!. I've named her "Fantasia in Bloom" I think this is the best and most understandable tut I've ever enjoyed doing... I'm gone twisty crazy now!!!
Thanks again Kimberly!!

Last edited by slcuniques; 2006-07-20 at 1:32pm.
Old 2006-07-22, 6:29pm
Following my Dream

Did you use bead release?

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
Old 2006-07-22, 7:07pm
yukue fumei

Oh my goodness--how did I miss this thread?!
Thank you soo much Kimberly!
Old 2006-07-25, 5:12pm
Glass my new Obsession

Oh my goodness Kimberly I can actually make twisties by using your method!You rock!!!
Tina
Old 2006-07-26, 8:45pm

Proclaimation: where as slcuniques was attempting the seahorse with wonderful efforts; where as the said seahorse is now with mane and long flowing tail; i proclaim: with all honesty and sincerity the seahorse shall here to be forever known as a dragon. job well done!!!!! this is the most beautiful bead art ever! "Fantasia in Bloom" has spoken! robin
Old 2006-07-26, 10:28pm
Custom Bead Maker

Cool THANK YOU Kimberly

WOW, "Fantasia in Bloom" is an amazing sea dragon! Thank you Kimberly for sharing this Tut. I have never been able to make a good twisty and did a beautiful one the first try. I made some organic beads with them, and they are gorgeous. THANKS again!!!!!
Aloha, Chris
Old 2006-07-27, 6:15am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

One of my pet peeves with twisties is all the glass you end up with that isn't really good for anything after you pull the twistie.

I made a twisty from this tutorial for the first time last night. I was SO impressed! I loved that you can make 2nd and 3rd pulls after your first one has hardened and it looks just as good. So little waste of glass this way! They look gorgeous on beads also.

(edited to add) The one thing I did differently is that instead of using pliers to pull, I used a mandrel on the other end also. Makes it easier for me to twist quickly.

Thanks Kimberly!

Sigrid

Last edited by squid; 2006-07-27 at 6:19am.

Tags
twisties