No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-27, 5:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I just want to say I really love your beads. I drool over them often.
Thank you, I'm flattered, but I think your beads are the ones to drool over. I've been wanting to purchase one, but you make it sooo difficult to choose! I'll just have to make a decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kathie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-08-27, 6:33pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Donna was taking the high road - way different then being ok with it. One of the new copycat vendors bought beadrollers and THEN made direct copies of them - not cool.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-08-27, 6:39pm
A True Woofer

Yup. I have no problem with making a tool like someone else's; it's the outright stealing of design or ideas that pisses me off. Wanna make a bead roller? Fine. Make it, but don't make the cavities the exact same sizes and shapes as Donna's. Wanna make a bead corer? Fine. But come up with a different design like Dave did. Don't just copy Jim Moore's arbor press design like Nortel did. Take it and make it your own. That's what we say about beads; the same thing should apply to tools.

Old 2011-08-27, 6:46pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Donna was taking the high road - way different then being ok with it. One of the new copycat vendors bought beadrollers and THEN made direct copies of them - not cool.
What she said! Donna is a class act.

Old 2011-08-27, 6:50pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
Yup. I have no problem with making a tool like someone else's; it's the outright stealing of design or ideas that pisses me off. Wanna make a bead roller? Fine. Make it, but don't make the cavities the exact same sizes and shapes as Donna's. Wanna make a bead corer? Fine. But come up with a different design like Dave did. Don't just copy Jim Moore's arbor press design like Nortel did. Take it and make it your own. That's what we say about beads; the same thing should apply to tools.
I agree!. I know how hard Donna works at coming up with new shapes.

Old 2011-08-27, 8:46pm

Thank you, Ellen. You said pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Also, if you are going to continue copying people's tool designs, you'd better lawyer up. At some point somebody with a patent is going to come after you. And I sure won't be buying anything from somebody with questionable business ethics.

Last edited by mtarara; 2011-08-27 at 8:53pm.
Old 2011-08-27, 8:53pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

The only think I have to say is this: I have a disk rollers from Donna and I have a Donut Shaped roller from one of the competition. I like the way both work. I do have to say that, even though they are different shapes, the competitions tool weighs SIGNIFICANTLY more. So much more that this one aspect alone would make me buy from Donna before anyone else.

One other thing that makes me order from one company over another is how much "good" they do for their community. Donna does a hell of a lot, the competition... not so much.
Old 2011-08-27, 9:17pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
One other thing that makes me order from one company over another is how much "good" they do for their community. Donna does a hell of a lot, the competition... not so much.
Quite a few people keep making digs at the company that copied Donna but no one has said who that company is. I am hoping this comment is not directed at me. I do quite a bit for this community, I just don't openly talk about what I do.

I purchase the rollers I carry from my distributor. Who is the company that copied her rollers? I would like to know who it is.

Old 2011-08-27, 9:23pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaco View Post
Quite a few people keep making digs at the company that copied Donna but no one has said who that company is. I am hoping this comment is not directed at me. I do quite a bit for this community, I just don't openly talk about what I do.

I purchase the rollers I carry from my distributor. Who is the company that copied her rollers? I would like to know who it is.
Honestly, I wasn't even trying to make a dig at anyone. The donut roller I was talking about is from Devardi. It's really really heavy. The shape is okay but, the weight gets to be a bit much. I don't know what they go by on here or if they go by Devardi but I never see them contributing much to the community. I haven't been here for a long time so I don't know their screen names.

I am sorry if you thought I was making a dig at you. I wasn't. I wasn't trying to make digs at all. It was more of a general, "This is what I go by when I decide to buy regularly from a company."

Last edited by BrownGirl; 2011-08-27 at 9:42pm.
Old 2011-08-27, 9:34pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

No offense taken. People were basically talking about Donna's rollers and the one's I carry, so I made the assumption that you were addressing me. I didn't even realize that Davardi even had rollers I had not looked at their site in a long time.

Old 2011-08-27, 9:55pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Yeah, I realize that now and it sure did look like I was making snarky digs. Sorry about that. I have never had the pleasure of purchasing anything from you but, when I first joined up here, everyone said you were the go-to-girl for buying glass for beginners.
Old 2011-08-28, 4:17am
Dark Flower Bead Art

I feel the same way about tools as I feel about tutorials and beads, i WANT to give my money to vendors who make a good product and who I respect in the lampworking community. Business is business. I have a healthy collection of donna's rollers and I will buy from her in the future because (1) she makes a great product (2) she has great customer service (3) i respect her as an artist and want to support her. I have no doubt i will continue to buy from her HOWEVER that being said, cometition is a healthy part of business and if any other vendors make a quality product at a reasonable price we all win. This is one of the reasons LE is such a valuable resource to me, I learn from others experiences. I buy my glass from several vendors and I feel confident i will also buy tools from several vendors. It's what makes a free market economy great.
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-08-28, 6:57pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
Yeah, I realize that now and it sure did look like I was making snarky digs. Sorry about that. I have never had the pleasure of purchasing anything from you but, when I first joined up here, everyone said you were the go-to-girl for buying glass for beginners.
She's fab! I'm a Bullseye girl, so when I started dipping my toe in the 104 pool I was totally overwhelmed, so I talked to JameyLynn and she picked out a selection in certain color ranges and sent them along. I've loved them, and am getting ready for another scoop of a rod each of certain colors to try them out.
Old 2011-08-28, 9:46pm
I like to melt things

I haven't tried these other brands, but I am a totally visual person, and my tools have to be both attractive and comfortable to use.

So... I love the CG Bead Rollers because the handle is interesting to look at AND comfortable, and I am going to try the Pegasus ones because they have really attractive wooden handles, but I probably won't ever try these cheaper versions because they are ugly. It doesn't matter how cheap something is if I don't ever want to pick it up and use it.

How's that for fickle buyer behaviour?

-
-
Old 2011-08-29, 4:55am
Angie09

I have used both CG beadrollers and I purchased one from Howaco. The one from Howaco is significantly heavier which surprised me but was a great price! I ended up selling it cuz I never used it ... mainly cuz the shape of the cavities ended up not to be my favorite. Had I not used a CG before I'm sure I won't have thought twice about the weight.
Old 2011-08-29, 9:23pm

Copycats abound. If it is painfully obvious that someone has produced a knock off tool, I won't touch it out of respect for the original inventor. For example, The D-word company has a knock of of Arrow Springs Lani Ching Shaper. Of course the quality is not there, but it makes me a little sick to see something that someone invented basically ripped off, intentionally. It shows the character of the business and its owners when they commit intellectual theft.
Old 2011-08-29, 9:42pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

It that is the case then vendors should not carry CIM, Vetrofond, BE, Uro etc since they all came after Effetre.

Old 2011-08-30, 1:11am

Um, no. Glass is not the same unless someone is stealing actual recipes. People research, design, engineer and test tools before releasing them for sale. Then some unethical opportunist comes along, steals the idea and design and reaps the rewards without putting in the effort it takes to invent said tool. No amount of sugarcoating can disguise an obvious rip off. In the tech world intellectual theft is prosecuted. Unfortunately for our tools there isn't enough profit to make it worthwhile to pursue a criminal investigation. But its still shameful, its a small world and people watch and remember when it comes time to choose where they spend their money.

Old 2011-08-30, 6:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarara View Post
Um, no. Glass is not the same unless someone is stealing actual recipes. People research, design, engineer and test tools before releasing them for sale. Then some unethical opportunist comes along, steals the idea and design and reaps the rewards without putting in the effort it takes to invent said tool. No amount of sugarcoating can disguise an obvious rip off. In the tech world intellectual theft is prosecuted. Unfortunately for our tools there isn't enough profit to make it worthwhile to pursue a criminal investigation. But its still shameful, its a small world and people watch and remember when it comes time to choose where they spend their money.
So I take it you drive a Ford?
Old 2011-08-30, 7:14am
A True Woofer

Quote:
Great post, Mary. I don't think people understand that there's a difference between developing your own tool that accomplishes the same purpose and stealing someone else's design. There is a huge ethical, moral and legal difference. If I want to make a car, say my own car, I'm not going to go to Ford and steal the blueprints and make my car. I'm going to develop my own car. Just because someone makes something that accomplishes the same thing doesn't mean they stole the design. Amy made presses after Corina, but came up with her own design for them. Dave made a corer but didn't use an arbor press. Mary's Mini Cooper is not a copy of a Ford, other than it has 4 wheels and gets her from point A to point B.

Last edited by JavaGirlBT; 2011-08-30 at 7:17am.
Old 2011-08-30, 7:19am

Just to clarify I was not talking about basic tools like a marver or basic round shaper. I am talking about a unique tool that has been copied as closely as they possibly can.

Howaco, I was not referencing your company at all.
Old 2011-08-30, 7:33am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by redayh View Post
I really don't think cars can be lumped into the copying game. No automotive company made a direct copy of a Model T, or, thank God, a Pinto. In fact, the internal combustion engine wasn't invented by Henry Ford, or even Karl Benz, or even Daimler. The concepts were broadened; the theories were maximized; different fuels were explored; the game changed. I don't think anyone gets highly irritated by one company expanding on a general concept that another company has also expanded upon. What people get irritated by is outright copying.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-08-30, 8:20am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Quote:
Glass is not the same unless someone is stealing actual recipes.
I don't know if recipes were stolen or not, but do you buy Vetrofond? Their colors mirror Effetre's almost to a T.

There are people in this thread that have said they have owned shapers of some sort (I think they said brass) before CG came up with hers. I think it is a very slippery slope to say that CG was first when there is a whole world out there, not just the group of people here on LE.

Look at marble molds. Just grind a grove slot and you have a round bead roller.

Quote:
But its still shameful, its a small world and people watch and remember when it comes time to choose where they spend their money.
Exactly. I also have that right. Just because I am a vendor does not mean that I have to spend money where I don't want to. If my distributor had not picked up this line of bead rollers, I would not carry rollers in my store.

I'm kinda done with this thread, there are two sides to this discussion and I know people's minds are made up, which is alright, everyone has that right.

Last edited by Howaco; 2011-08-30 at 8:38am.
Old 2011-08-30, 10:12am

I just looked at the Howaco shapers and they are not the same as the cg bead rollers.

The D-word shapers aren't the same either, but the d-word company does have a very spot on copy of arrow springs work.
Old 2011-08-30, 10:43am
Queen Tut ;)

I have both (not devardi's, ugh) and have no preference. I like all the variety of options that Donna has, her shapes are killer cool. When I can afford more tools, I will place an order with Donna in a heartbeat...especially because I know I can get a baroque, ribbed bi-cone, stubby bi-cone...and some other unique to her shapes.

Competition breeds invention.

Is that the saying?

Person X builds a cool little gadget that goes around your house and makes sure your lights are off when you're not home. Person Y says, 'Hmm, great idea, but I see room for improvement." They make a similar gadget that does the same, but looks like a dinosaur, weighs less, and you can program a light you'd like it to leave on. Person Z copies X and Y, looks and functions, and prices them cheaper.

So, I think Person Y is a smart cookie. Saw room for improvement with original idea and did so. Person Z is an f*in' low life ^%& head. Will they sell their gadgets to folks who don't care? Yep. Will folks who care make sure and give business to anyone but Person Z....you betcha.

I think blatant copying is wrong. Improving a design, changing it up a bit to give folks an option...eh, why not? Give folks a choice. Keeps things affordable too.

(P.S. - there is no gadget that goes around turning your lights out when you're not home, dinosaur shaped or not...that was hypothetical )

Old 2011-08-30, 11:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by redayh View Post
Pheeew ... nope ... Fords HATE me ... we have had numerous ones including a commercial fleet and you could be rest assured if I get in a Ford it WILL break.

BUT ... we have NEVER purchased an import (or so I thought) always bought, GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Ford ... just found out that the new GMC trucks are made in Mexico.

Just curious but who`s disc shaper came out first ... was it Zoozii`s or was it CGBeads (sorry my question mark isn`t working) ... same shape different material

My understanding (my mentor told me this - who was in lampwork glass 40 years ago) the person who came out with Vetrofond was originally from Effettre, they had a falling out and he left - but since he was also part of Moretti (thus the name change) he had the recipes to start Vetrofond.

So people should only purchase beads made by the ORIGINAL person that came up with that style (again question mark)

Cheryl

Old 2011-08-30, 12:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaco View Post
Exactly. I also have that right. Just because I am a vendor does not mean that I have to spend money where I don't want to. If my distributor had not picked up this line of bead rollers, I would not carry rollers in my store.

Yes you have the right to do as you feel fit and take the chance of alienating future customers who don't feel its an ethical business decision, whether vendor or distributor manufactured.

I'm kinda done with this thread, there are two sides to this discussion and I know people's minds are made up, which is alright, everyone has that right.
Yep.

Last edited by mtarara; 2011-08-30 at 12:24pm. Reason: wanted less harsh wording
Old 2011-08-30, 12:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamscapes Studio View Post
My understanding (my mentor told me this - who was in lampwork glass 40 years ago) the person who came out with Vetrofond was originally from Effettre, they had a falling out and he left - but since he was also part of Moretti (thus the name change) he had the recipes to start Vetrofond.

So people should only purchase beads made by the ORIGINAL person that came up with that style (again question mark)

Cheryl
I think it was the son that spun off and made Vetrofond.

Jenne, I agree with what you said.
Old 2011-08-30, 12:47pm

[quote=Mountain Snail;3684965]I think it was the son that spun off and made Vetrofond.

Could be, I thought he had said they were family but I couldnt remember `how` they were related.

Isn`t there room for everyone (ok maybe not EVERYONE in the literal sense of the word) but like Jenne said ... it sparks ideas and leads to other inventions

Cheryl

Last edited by Dreamscapes Studio; 2011-08-30 at 12:51pm.
Old 2011-08-30, 2:05pm
I fart diamonds

CGBeads is most certainly NOT the inventor of beadrollers. I've had a Baroque roller for over 6 years and several other graphite, brass, aluminum and steel bead rollers for years. The argument that you're not going to purchase rollers from anyone except the original inventor because they're all copies is pretty dumb. I doubt anyone here knows exactly who the originator of beadrollers is but it definitely is not Donna.

If Donna has a roller I want, I'll buy from her, if JamyLynn has one, I'll buy from her, etc, etc.