Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-03-23, 8:22am

Default Donate my OxyCon?

I have 2 5lp oxycons that I will never use. I have been thinking that maybe they can be used for those that have the virus. One was purchased brand new, The other is one my daughter used. Both used in lampworking. Any suggestions on who to contact to see if they can be used. They are FREE which is a very good price LOL.
Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2020-03-23, 3:45pm
Phill

I am sorry to tell you that oxycons from the public require a thorough overhaul and re-certification before a doctor can write a prescription for one and before a patient can use them.

That is one of the reasons we can get them so cheap from the families of people that had used them for breathing.
Maybe you can find a lamp worker or even a back yard torch welder that would put them to use.

ETA: Put them up for sale on a Craigs List site ( or several) and wait half a year to see if someone is willing to buy them.
That's how I got mine though not from a lampworker.
Shop around to buy one and see what they are selling for.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2020-03-23 at 3:52pm.
Old 2020-03-24, 12:51am

OK Thank you Speedslug.
Liz R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2020-03-24, 1:19am
Slogan Challenged...

actually thinking that they might sell more quickly, so perhaps mark them as useful for hobbies, only?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2020-03-24, 5:14am
Phill

Aye, make sure that anyone getting them from you knows that that really, really shouldn't be used by anyone for inhaling.

There are microbes that can live on the inner tubing and the third filter that is just before the oxygen comes out and that would overwhelm a persons lungs in short order.

That said, I have pointed the out put of an oxycon at my own face from about a foot or two way so that it increases the amount of oxygen around my face once in a while.

But I am pretty sure that the "medical requirements" is what shut down the once popular "oxygen bars" that sprung up in the early 1990's as a health fad.
Old 2020-03-24, 7:10am

Call an oxygen supply service and see what they advise. They come onto the hobby market because they can no longer be certified for medical use. It has always been my impression that it is because it becomes less cost effective to recondition them than it would be to get a new one. But they may have different feedback now. They would be the ones that would know if they were coming into short supply. In my area, there are a lot of them.
Old 2020-03-25, 5:26pm

That is such a kind and generous offer!

Old 2020-03-26, 8:16am

It maybe worth checking with jewelers as well. The machines you have are enough to run something like a smith little torch that can be super useful for even basic jewelry work.