Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-20, 10:01am

Default Newbie Question - Release Flaking off of the mandrel

Hi all,
I have read many instructions, watched videos and searched here but only saw this mentioned in passing. My release is flaking off of the mandrels as I heat them up. I didn't realize this at first, and the beads got stuck. (I smashed them off with a hammer, I figured they were stuck for good) I would like to ask how to heat the mandrel, and how thick to put the release on?

I'm using the Fireworks Bead Release I got with the kit, but I also have pottery kiln release and fused glass release, both in powder forms. I was wondering if they might work better.

Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks!!
Nancy
Old 2014-09-20, 10:07am
Made in the Shade

toss the bead release you got with that kit. It sucks! Go to frantz.com and buy any of those bead releases they carry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-09-20, 10:14am

Thanks!!! Is there anything I can do until I get the new release? I was so excited to make beads!!
Jib
Old 2014-09-20, 10:20am
Slogan Challenged...

Make sure your mandrels are clean, scrubbed and dry, new mandrels have a coating that will make release do that.

Also, don't let the coated mandrel get cool again once you've warmed it. This will also make it crack.

Try again, and if that doesn't help, pull stringers and make twisties while you are waiting.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-09-20, 11:33am

Let the release air dry for an hour or more, then heat slowly in the flame.

The kiln release might be fine, mix it with clean water to the consistency of heavy cream.
dip, dry, slowly heat, then experiment with cheap glass.
Old 2014-09-20, 1:12pm
Alaska Boro

For new stainless mandrels it is best to heat the last inch or so (1 to 2 inches) to a dull red. Your torch can be used for this or a gas kitchen stove. Once cooled dip and dry, etc.
Old 2014-09-20, 2:43pm

Thank you for your help!! You are a very nice and generous group!
Jib
Old 2014-09-23, 10:45am
JennyD

I was having the same problems with my release when I first started. Some of these kits that you buy for lampworking don't have the best release. I would suggest trying Robin's FosterFire Bead Release, Smooth & Tough.

I really liked it. You can look her up on here under FosterFire. I found that it worked best, for me at least, when I added a bit of distilled water to make it smoother(although it works good without it, I just like mine a bit on the runny side), let it air dry. I don't have much patience and usually do not dip mandrels early enough for them to airdry in time for the torch session, so what I do is take a mandrel, wash them and wipe them clean off any water and residue. Dip into release so that the mandrel is nicely coated then dry it at the end of the flame. It works really well for me and I usually don't have to battle to take the bead off.

The first bead release I got, would flake off in the middle of making the bead and I still have beads stuck on a mandrel because I can't get them off. They make pretty plant decorations lol.

...I'd rather be beading!

Old 2014-09-24, 5:47pm

I bought some of the @#^^%$ bead release from hobby lobby and it was crap. Switched to Foster Fire and every thing is fine. Dip it and heat it up with the flame till dry then get it red hot to accept the glass. works great.
Old 2014-09-25, 7:08am

Thank you all!! That was going to be my next question - what procedure to heat up the mandrel?? Thanks!!
Jib
Old 2014-10-02, 3:25pm

I heat new mandrels in the kiln when I first get them. Typically just let them stay in there with newly made beads on an annealing cycle. Then they are ready to dip in bead release and use the next day!