LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-12-20, 7:58am

Default Silver plated spoons?

I've done a couple of beaded skeleton keys, and was wondering if I could do something similar with some of my antique silver plated demitasse spoons?
My plan is to apply COE 104 glass directly into the bowl of the spoon, maybe add a small bead onto the barrel, and bend the handle into a bail. But I'm wondering if the silver plating (or the base metal) will survive the heat, as well as incompatibility issues?
Old 2020-12-20, 10:50am

I'm not sure the spoon would survive this idea. The work I've seen using silver of any kind in bead making usually works only if the metal is kept out of the direct flame during the application. Applying glass to the barrel might work; to the bowl, probably not. Having said that though, the only sure fire way to find out is to take one of the least attractive spoons and give it a shot.
Old 2020-12-20, 9:19pm
dances with ideas...

Interesting idea. Please be sure to have very good ventilation to try it. The fumes could be very toxic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2020-12-21, 3:09am

Thank you for your help, I'm currently working outside, as my workspace doesn't have electricity yet. I always turn my work table so that the wind blows on my back, hopefully carrying anything nasty away from my face.

I'm going to try to keep the spoon out of the flame as much as possible and add hot gathers, just experiment a little and see what I get!��
Old 2021-01-09, 5:31am

Well, I've made a couple of attempts, and it's possible, at least. I had to get the spoon hotter than I'd planned in order to get the glass to stick, and where the silver was more scuffed up ( around the edges and on the bottom) it did burn off.
I tried using Devardi on the first one, and so far no popping off or cracking has happened. I used effetre on the second one and had a dot pop off, but I think I didn't get it melted in enough.
So far, everything else is still stuck. I had been prepared to see the whole thing separate from the spoon but it hasn't happened yet.
They're really ugly though since I was so nervous about getting it too hot! I think I'll try it with only stringers next time since they'll be faster to melt.
Old 2021-01-09, 12:48pm
Slogan Challenged...

thanks for the update, sounds like stringers would work better for you. Would love to see!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2021-01-16, 5:20pm

I'm interested in seeing the results, too, ugly or not.
Old 2021-01-18, 5:11pm
dances with ideas...

Me too! Thanks for letting us know what you've learned.