LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-20, 3:17pm

Default Anyone seen/critiqued Lauri Copeland's DVD "All Fired Up"?

It certainly sounds great- just wanted to see if anyone had any comments or raves about it before I purchase it...
link to it: http://www.wildfire-designs.com/ordering_info.html

Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-22, 9:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeboraCox_facetsdesigns View Post
It certainly sounds great- just wanted to see if anyone had any comments or raves about it before I purchase it...
The DVD covers both soft glass and boro, and a variety of techniques.

If you are frustrated that your beads aren't round, your lines aren't straight, and your angles aren't sharp, this is the video for you. Lauri's work is very "organic", and shows that it's ok to color outside of the lines.

Disclaimer:

1) Lauri is my friend
2) I sell her video: http://www.artcoinc.com/all_fired_up.php
3) You absolutely need to buy her video ..... from me .

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2007-09-24, 8:32am
"....Oh Honey!"

Hi There Deb. Thanks for your interest. I DVDs are selling steadily but I haven't had much feeback yet. If you have already seen the 46 min DVD "All Fired Up," jump in and pass along your comments and words of wisdom.

These are the specifics: All Fired Up." was sponsored by Carlisle School of Glass, and produced by Glassworks Video Productions. It is 46 minutes long.

The projects are on a beginner/intermediate level, but previous lampwork experience is recommended. Each chapter begins with a materials list. All of the projects are made from borosilicate, with one exception. There is one bead made from 104 soft glass. Examples shown below.

The DVD features clear narration with the following projects:

** Using a rod of Glass Alchemy Amazon Night, I test my torch for neutral and reducing flame settings.

** Three encased beads are wrapped on a single mandrel. I shape the "Crocodile Tears" then flame strike the boro color.

** Dot placement and color layers are combined in the next bead. A clear encasement enhances the design.

** Soft glass (COE 104) is shown for the "Kimono" bead. There are step-by-step instructions for building a starburst cane and a multi-color twisty. After winding the base bead, I apply several twisties, shape with a crunch tool, and apply starburst chips.

** The wine stopper topper has a long slender boro base with frit. I use a marver to form a shape that combines asymmetry with balance.

** The freeform "Amoeba Disc" is made off mandrel. A reamer tool is used to form the oversized hole.

Paula, if you see this, would you like to comment on the finished DVD?
If anyone has questions, please let me know. And by all means, order it from Malcolm. He's wonderful! Be sure to inform him that I promised you a little discount.

dvd now available

Last edited by wildfirelauri; 2007-09-24 at 8:43am.
Old 2007-09-24, 12:26pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks for the great information, Lauri!

I think this will be the next DVD I buy. Although, I am going to have to find some extreme patience to work boro on my minor

Old 2007-09-24, 7:39pm

Default more info

Thanks, Laurie - the techniques sound very interesting and I love the finished products! I have been working soft glass for 2+ years now and am interested in trying some boro work. I run a Carlysle Mini CC with propane and two oxy cons. Do you think I would have enough "ooomph" for the boro work that you teach? Again, thank you and love your work!

Old 2007-09-26, 8:42pm
"....Oh Honey!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Thanks for the great information, Lauri!

I think this will be the next DVD I buy. Although, I am going to have to find some extreme patience to work boro on my minor
Hi MaryBeth,

Your minor will work fine. You just crank up the heat and it'll surprise you.

Quote:
Thanks, Laurie - the techniques sound very interesting and I love the finished products! I have been working soft glass for 2+ years now and am interested in trying some boro work. I run a Carlysle Mini CC with propane and two oxy cons. Do you think I would have enough "ooomph" for the boro work that you teach? Again, thank you and love your work!
Hi Debora,

The Mini CC is ideal on lower pressures. I don't have experience using concentrators, but I would think that two oxy cons combined is do-able with your Carlisle. (I use a Mini CC for all the dvd demos.)

Hope this helps.
Happy to answer questions.

dvd now available

Last edited by wildfirelauri; 2007-09-26 at 8:47pm.
Old 2007-09-26, 10:40pm

Quote:
I run a Carlysle Mini CC with propane and two oxy cons. Do you think I would have enough "ooomph" for the boro work that you teach? Again, thank you and love your work!
Paul at Unlimited Oxygen has told me that the Mini CC works great with a single M10 for soft glass, and a single M15 for boro. Which size oxy cons do you have?

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2007-09-27, 7:45am

Hi guys. I did buy the dvd but haven't watched it yet. I was busy pulling my hair out to try to set up a shopping cart!
Lauri's beads rock though. I've sat next to her at a Gathering and watched them fly off the table! I also saw her do a demo at a Gathering and it was really good. She's on my list of A teachers to have teach here. I hope the dvd gets helps people past the fear of using boro on a small torch..
I wouldn't hestitate to buy her dvd....Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !