Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-16, 2:30pm
I practice alchemy!

I'm glad someone specified what an EMS was. The only thing I could think of was--emergency medical services...

Celeste
Old 2009-02-16, 3:30pm
Burning Fingers!

I never could get the hang of mine - it spins way too fast for me, and the glass goes all wonky because of that. You are supposed to use your finger as the brake, but I found it just made it jerky when you released the "finger brake". It is now gathering dust on my shelf. I suppose I should give it another try, maybe I was just too impatient then. Everytime I say I am going to sell it, my DH tells me not to, as he tells me that "you are not getting any younger", and your joints are giving out, so one day it may be the only way you can bead - thanks dear!
I guess I work in a more controlled manner, and I found that the EMS was just too fast for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Old 2009-02-16, 6:05pm
Lover of all things color

You know I have coveted this thing for a long time and am now starting to think that I'm going to have to get one. I had thumb surgery three years ago and couple that with wrists that are starting to bother me and I almost have to get one.

Do any of you have problems with carpal tunnel? I am having a bad time with the hand that holds mandrel and glass. I'm wondering if its the spinning or that my torch isn't at the right angle. Either way I have to do something before I do permanent damage. I'm just wondering if the EMS is the answer.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-02-16, 7:04pm
Unmedicated since '62

i want one so badly!
i have carpel tunnel damage in my left hand so it goes numb after a while - i'm getting good at switching hands to round up the beads though...
Old 2009-02-17, 7:18am
Gone Fishing!

I think that it just takes some practice. Try just making some spacer beads on it until you get the hang of it. I honestly really like mine and actually have some fun trying to make really long beads with it. It did take some practice though.

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2009-02-17, 12:01pm
Ready to hit the road

When I started getting achy wrists, I looked into the EMS and bought it. When I first tried it, I thought 'well, that was wasted money.' I just didn't think I could get used to using it, and I couldn't get the beads centered. After letting it sit a couple of weeks and then reading some tips (especially about using it to make spacer beads), I dug in and just used it. It took a couple of weeks, but I got the hang of it, and now every bead I make starts with the EMS. I couldn't and wouldn't want to work without it. I upgraded to the deluxe and really like it for the more variable speed, even though it's bigger and heavier. You get used to it, and it's well worth the money for the relief on the wrists.

Karen, look at my Etsy shop. Like I say, they all start on the EMS. After I get the bead centered, if I want a lentil or other shape, then I take it off the EMS and work it further.

Last edited by betsymn; 2009-02-17 at 12:02pm. Reason: spelling boo boo
Old 2009-02-17, 1:39pm

Jane, if you feel it spins too fast, get a power box upgrade which includes a variable switch to speed it up or down. If the glass is wonky, heat it to molten and drag your rod through the centre. I really think you will find with some usage you won't even notice using your fingers to lightly brake or stop and release to speed again. Its really just a matter of retraining yourself to a new way of working and for some people that may take a little longer than others but just like when we start p p p.
I wouldn't be without mine and am now looking for a deluxe version as soon as I have some goannas to sell from this years hatchings. The $ is the only thing holding me up!

Kym
Old 2009-02-17, 1:45pm
Burning Fingers!

Thanks Kym - I do have a variable speed, and have it set at the lowest speed. I have also tried the "drag" method. I just couldn't get the hang of it - I tried it for about a month, and then just gave up. I just find it way too fast - I turn my mandrels really slowly when making beads, including spacers. However, I will get it out again and dust it off, and give it another try. Just have to get rid of this vertigo first!

/
/
/

Old 2009-02-17, 3:45pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
as soon as I have some goannas to sell from this years hatchings. The $ is the only thing holding me up!

Kym
........your selling goannas?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-04-20, 8:58am
Junior Mint

Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to the EMS? I have been suffering for quite a while with pain in my hand, but I just cannot afford the EMS. I am sure it is worth every penny of the cost, but I honestly don't understand why it is so expensive, so I am hoping that there are alternatives out there.

Thanks!

my stuff on
Old 2009-04-20, 12:10pm
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightdesigns View Post
Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to the EMS? I have been suffering for quite a while with pain in my hand, but I just cannot afford the EMS. I am sure it is worth every penny of the cost, but I honestly don't understand why it is so expensive, so I am hoping that there are alternatives out there.

Thanks!

To date, I haven't seen anything else even similar to it on the market.
I don't build them so I can't comment on the cost. I can only say for me personally, it was worth every penny.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Old 2009-04-20, 1:42pm

I'm with Jayne and just couldn't get the hang of it. Holding the mandrel like a pencil is just too weirdly uncomfortable for me. I've had it sitting around for a year and half. Then I think some day I will have to use it or I would sell the thing.
Old 2009-04-20, 2:48pm

Pat, You should try it with the 'Rolling Marver.' That helps to shape the bead quickly. I love mine and hope to buy the larger one, although I think the smaller one does everything you would want to do except large boro. Take a look at the Barefoot Art video. It is amazing what you can do with it!
Jim
Old 2009-04-20, 3:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
After letting it sit a couple of weeks and then reading some tips (especially about using it to make spacer beads), I dug in and just used it. .
Betsy - do you have a link or do you remember where you read the tips?
I got my EMS some weeks ago and tried it only once yet. Tried a few spacers that came out very wonky. Then I had to stop again, because I had heaps of custom orders to fill and just didn't have time to learn how to use the EMS.

I have problems with carpal tunnel syndrome and really need to get the hang of it to relieve the pain. But I'm so busy at the moment that I just don't think I have the time & patience to practice for weeks.

It would be great to read some tips and speed up the learning process. I had a look on itube and watched the videos. But that didn't help a lot.

Old 2009-04-20, 3:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBeth View Post
That 4-6 week wait time is a killer though. Im such an instant gratification type person I dunno if I can do it.
KarenBeth - you can order one at ABR and if they have them in stock (4 weeks ago they did), you get it within a week.

Old 2009-04-20, 8:41pm
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRangiStudio View Post
Betsy - do you have a link or do you remember where you read the tips?
I got my EMS some weeks ago and tried it only once yet. Tried a few spacers that came out very wonky. Then I had to stop again, because I had heaps of custom orders to fill and just didn't have time to learn how to use the EMS.

I have problems with carpal tunnel syndrome and really need to get the hang of it to relieve the pain. But I'm so busy at the moment that I just don't think I have the time & patience to practice for weeks.

It would be great to read some tips and speed up the learning process. I had a look on itube and watched the videos. But that didn't help a lot.
Judith, I don't even remember where I read the tips. It helps to just practice and practice. Try starting with small spacers and after putting on the glass with a rod, heat it up until it's almost dripping, then take a thin stringer and just touch the middle of the bead. Sometimes that's enough to round it, and sometimes I have to really stick it in and drag to get it round. The trick is to have the bead molten enough, and then let it cool a little to make sure it stays round. If it starts going wobbly, heat it up just a bit, and touch it with the stringer. It really takes practice, but once you get the hang of it, it is so much easier on the hands. I find that the older I get, the harder it is to hold and twist a skinny mandrel.

Maybe if I get really ambitious, I'll get my son to take a video of my doing one. Of course, then I'd have to figure out how to post it on youtube or my website

Old 2009-04-20, 9:29pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I love mine... it helps my fingers! It's one of the best tools I have! Here's some examples:

That's one bead on the pen.

Jack

Old 2009-04-20, 9:53pm
MacGalver

Nice beads Jack!

I use mine for more than 90% of what I make including vessels, sculptural, goddess forms, everything! I lay down at least the base footprint using the EMS, because it saves me a lot of time. Like others have said, it took a little getting used to, but once I got used to it, I would not go back. Recently I needed spacer beads, I made over 350 spacers in one sitting without any hand fatigue. It was at least twice as fast as making them without the EMS.

Jo

Old 2009-04-20, 10:13pm

350 spacers ... wow ... that's some recommendation! Lead me to it!

Think I need to see someone using this in action as I have trouble centering and hope it will help me some. I've been told my astigmatism doesn't help center a bead (wear glasses for it these days) but still have some issues.

Old 2009-04-21, 11:21pm
"....Oh Honey!"

Another happy camper. I have one of the original models as well, and it has saved me lots of physical wear and tear. It also is invaluable when I'm in production mode before a class or show. It took me a few weeks to really feel comfortable using it, but once I settled in with it, I never looked backed. I use it for both boro and soft glass projects. Love the brass rolling marver as well. I rarely have distortion while encasing with these tools.

dvd now available

Old 2009-04-22, 8:45am

My Opinion! It's a wonderful tool!! it odes take some getting used to but in the long run it saves time and wear and tear!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !