Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-03-04, 12:14am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.L.McBead View Post
Cool thats what i would like to see a Bullet running on the same setup as the Scorp.If it's better I would love to have one.
I find it very funny that you say you have no thing with GTT when You are marryed to GTT,ARE YOU kidding or what??
I did not say that I have nothing to do with GTT. My comment was in response to you asking about why, if this torch is made for concentrators, there would be a video showing it on 40 psi and a video showing it on the Regalia. I said that I am the one making the videos, this is my project, I'm picking what I film, not GTT. My husband is helping me on his own time and I am using one of the torches from Open Torch at the Gathering that he did not send back to the shop.

Quote:
I tested a Lynx with 2 5Ltr cons. and the center of my Bullet was way faster.
Really? Wow, that's not what my melt tests showed me. I don't know what that has to do with the Scorpion, but o.k....

Quote:
If the Scorp is better than my Bullet I would love to have one.
You forgot to say the he wanted to sell the Scorp. the day after he got it.
Just looking for info,
G.
He mentioned it already. So, there was no need for me to bring it up, especially since he also mentioned that he has ordered another one.
Old 2010-03-04, 5:53am

Well, all I can say after reading this is "wow, you are a saint, Kimberly!"

Perhaps, Kimberly, while you are at it, you can make a video for each and every possibility: 5lpm oxycon with 1/2 psi gas, 5lpm oxy with 2 psi gas, 5 lpm oxy with 5psi gas, 5 lpm oxy with 7psi gas, 5 lpm oxy with 10 psi gas. Then you can start on the 8 lpm, 2 5lpm, 10 lpm, 15 lpm, 20 lmp - let's see, maybe 75 videos in all! You are a saint, and thank you for all you do!

You know, everyone has different demands for how they want their torch to run. Some people are very comfortable with a small, soft flame, where others want a fierce flame. Some people want to be able to switch from one flame to another within the same piece they are working, while some people don't. I don't know of any torch that will fulfill everyone's hopes and dreams, but this torch, the Scorpion, has fulfilled mine and others and I am sure it will be perfect for lots and lots and lots of people because it gives you so many options that you don't have with other torches. The Scorpion is from a torch designer that has given us many, many of the best torches ever produced for glassworkers. Their designs have never been faulted and have never failed. If you need a torch designed to work on concentrators, this is it and it is great! No other torch manufacturer has designed a torch for that purpose. It will also work great on tanked oxy and save lots of oxy for you.

In my opinion we are the luckiest generation of lampworkers to have a manufacturer who listens to what we want and need and has the ability to design a torch that meets our specifications so beautifully. Try it, you'll love it too.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-04, 8:11am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Cool thats what i would like to see a Bullet running on the same setup as the Scorp.If it's better I would love to have one.
I find it very funny that you say you have no thing with GTT when You are marryed to GTT,ARE YOU kidding or what??
I tested a Lynx with 2 5Ltr cons. and the center of my Bullet was way faster.
If the Scorp is better than my Bullet I would love to have one.
You forgot to say the he wanted to sell the Scorp. the day after he got it.
Just looking for info,
G.
He has also placed an order for another one after determining that he likely has a purity problem.

Do you even read what you are typing? You are so insulting and yet you're asking for people for their help. ugh.

ETA - yeah, what Pam said!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-04, 9:06pm
The Beadstress

all I can say is.... wooo hooo!!!! dancing, dancing, dancing, mine will be here soon!!!! and I cannot wait. I hope my work will live up to this torch's potential.

It always works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end. - this is what my sister tells me
Old 2010-03-04, 11:34pm
PyronamixK

Hey, y'all, I'm uploading another video, right now. It should be ready in a little while (about an hour - it's a longer video than the others). It is the Scorpion running on two 10 LPM oxygen concentrators (a Regalia and an Integra 10). For part of the video, we turn the machines down so that the torch can use no more than 15 LPM. This would be similar to running one 10 LPM machine and one 5 LPM machine, or maybe three 5 LPM machines.
Old 2010-03-05, 6:05pm
PyronamixK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYD9RKTkIgg
Old 2010-03-05, 7:36pm
It's all about the color.

It's telling me "This video is private"

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-03-05, 7:47pm
PyronamixK

Uh oh, I thought I had unchecked that box when I uploaded. BRB

O.K., it's fixed. Thanks for letting me know, Kay!

PS Please rate it if y'all you like it.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2010-03-05 at 11:25pm.
Old 2010-03-06, 6:15pm

very cool,
It sounds like a nice oxy. pushing flame.
Thanks for all the testing.
I still would love to see it run next to a Bullet on the same oxy.
G.
Old 2010-03-06, 6:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
He has also placed an order for another one after determining that he likely has a purity problem.

Do you even read what you are typing? You are so insulting and yet you're asking for people for their help. ugh.

ETA - yeah, what Pam said!
It seem only those that agree with you are not insulting.
But I don't care,I think we should be able to ask any thing about tool for what we do.
Have a nice day,
G.
Old 2010-03-06, 6:27pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
It seem only those that agree with you are not insulting.
But I don't care,I think we should be able to ask any thing about tool for what we do.
Have a nice day,
G.
You're not insulting me - you're insulting Kimberly and making implications. Nobody is trying to stop you from asking questions, but it's be nice if you weren't an asshole while doing it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-06, 6:39pm

I really wish I could see these videos. Bloody Chinese censors.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2010-03-06, 7:53pm
PyronamixK

Could you watch them if they were posted somewhere else (besides YouTube)?
Old 2010-03-06, 8:23pm

Possibly. The main places they block are YouTube, Facebook, Blogspot, and some of the other bigger blog sites. Social Media leads to subversive thoughts you know. They even block http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ublic_of_China so I can't even find out what they block withot trying them. I get home in a bit over a week so I will catch up on them then. Surprisingly they don't seem to block WordPress.com blogs.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2010-03-07, 3:38am

Hello!

Does anybody know a pedal, that can be used with a conzentrator?

Greetings from Austria
Jasmin

Jasmin

Old 2010-03-07, 10:32am
PyronamixK

If you are running the entire Scorpion (or for whatever reason just the outerfire) on a Regalia, then you can use any foot pedal.

If you are running the innerfire of the Scorpion on any concentrator(s), and the outerfire on tanked oxygen, then you can use any foot pedal.

If you are running the entire Scorpion on two concentrators yoked together, then you should be able to run a regular foot pedal as long as the machines are evenly matched (same static psi output) and you aren't running tiny flames. You would need to Y them together into one line and then split them again before the pedal. After the pedal, there will be a separate oxygen line from the pedal to the outerfire of the torch. The reason you would want to Y together and then split again is so when you shut off that outerfire, the oxygen can be diverted to the centerfire and not backpressure the machine. The problem, though, is if you run a very small flame on the centerfire, you run the risk of backpressure, which could cause a 5 LPM machine to alarm and/or shut itself off.

If you want to use a regular foot pedal on a two (or more) concentrator set-up, you can also consider running just the fuel through the pedal and have the oxygen by-pass the pedal all together. Then, always keep the oxygen running through the outerfire, even when it is not lit, thereby keeping the machines safe from backpressure.

If you want to avoid that, then you will want to use a foot pedal with a pressure relief valve or use a pressure relief valve in the oxygen line going to the pedal.
Old 2010-03-07, 11:08am

Maybe one of these http://www.mcmaster.com/#pressure-relief-valves/=6475ue
part # 48935K25 or http://www.mcmaster.com/#pressure-relief-valves/=6477c2 section Nylon Miniature Relief Valves

Old 2010-03-07, 10:14pm
Boro Dad

Kimberly, are you planning on doing a video melt test on some boro? If you are I would love to see it on 15 lpm or less.
Old 2010-03-08, 1:37am

Ok, that is complex!

I have two different concentrators with nearly the same pressure.
If it is possible i want to run the inner fire with one conci and the outher fire with one.

If i turn of the outher fire, then the pedal should leav the oxygen into the air - I think that better for the conci or?
But all pedals I have seen just stop the oxygen.

Maybe i should just twiddle on the control of the scorpion ...

Jasmin

Old 2010-03-08, 2:35am
Swiss Marble Connection

Hi Jasmin

Why do you not take the pedal from Bethlehemapparatus?

http://bethlehemapparatus.thomasnet....accessories/e2

With this you can adjust the oxygen flow in the off state.
If you take only the gas on the pedal, it has too much oxygen in the small flame.

Here is a detail description.
http://www.bethlehemburners.com/E2OxyPro.pdf

Beat

Old 2010-03-08, 2:52am
Alaska Boro

If you are building your own foot peddle then STC make a value that when not energized sends oxygen out port A. When energized to port B. Thus it will vent when you are not using the outer flame. See STC 3S010-050 Series Solenoid Valves for more information and if this will fit your application.

Some also set up their torch for a little oxygen use for the outer flame at all times. i.e. not propane, just oxygen. And then use the foot peddle for full outer flame use that turns both oxygen and propane on full for their needs.

One could use one concentrator for the inner and one for the outer. It will depend on your torch choice and the ratings of your concentrator. And if you purchase a four vs two stud torch.

The Cricket will run on one 5 LPM machine, but comes to life with two 5 LMP machines connected together.
Old 2010-03-08, 8:43am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin2002 View Post
Ok, that is complex!

I have two different concentrators with nearly the same pressure.
If it is possible i want to run the inner fire with one conci and the outher fire with one.

If i turn of the outher fire, then the pedal should leav the oxygen into the air - I think that better for the conci or?
But all pedals I have seen just stop the oxygen.

Maybe i should just twiddle on the control of the scorpion ...
Unless you make very small things, but want to have a soft wide bathing flame, it is better to use both concentrators to feed the whole torch than to split them up 5LPM on the inner and 5LPM on the outer. The reason is that you will want to be able to have a good mid-range for the torch. When the outerfire is not being used, it would be nice to divert the oxygen it would have used over to the centerfire to get a bigger flame on the centerfire.

I haven't looked at the link posted above for the Bethlehem pedal, but, if it is like the one I know about that basically shuts off the gas by pinching a line closed, I would not recommend it for obvious safety concerns.

If you don't want to build one yourself, you might want to ask J James (smutboy - HotAssTools). I think he has made special pedals before. Jeff Rogers or Scott Griffin may have made them before, as well.

If you want to use only the foot pedal for propane, you could just not plug the oxygen lines into the pedal and just have it go straight to the torch.
Old 2010-03-08, 7:05pm

Kimberly, I just want to say that I LOVE YOU! Not in a kissy face way or anything, lol. Thanks for all the good info.
Old 2010-03-08, 9:56pm
PyronamixK

Kathy, you crack me up. Thank you!
Old 2010-03-09, 12:46am

Thank u very much!
I decided to try the scorpion first without pedal.
And maybe later i will order a pedal.

Tooo much chewing over something I do't have in my fingers yet - my old problem

Thank u very much for your great answers!!!

Let's start from scratch, if the scorpion can be called .... *gg*

Jasmin

Old 2010-03-09, 6:47am
DSDWC

I had the Bethlehem foot pedal for a couple of years before I knew any better and would not wish it upon anyone.
It's basically pinched off surgical tubing under the box. No real valaves or anything.
Buyer Beware!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Casita Bolita View Post
Hi Jasmin

Why do you not take the pedal from Bethlehem apparatus?

http://bethlehemapparatus.thomasnet....accessories/e2

With this you can adjust the oxygen flow in the off state.
If you take only the gas on the pedal, it has too much oxygen in the small flame.

Here is a detail description.
http://www.bethlehemburners.com/E2OxyPro.pdf

Beat

Old 2010-03-09, 7:38am
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Kimberly, I just want to say that I LOVE YOU! Not in a kissy face way or anything, lol. Thanks for all the good info.
You do know that when you get that bad boy and that foot pedal that I'll be moving in with you, right???

Old 2010-03-09, 7:46am

Angie, you try to make that sound like a threat. Bring it on sistah!
Old 2010-03-09, 10:44am

I had the Bethlehem foot pedal for a couple of years before I knew any better and would not wish it upon anyone.
It's basically pinched off surgical tubing under the box. No real valaves or anything.
Buyer Beware!!!

Trey are you talking about that "big" foot pedal? So that is definitely a NO!
What foot pedal are you recommending? I have that one for my PM2D?? So I need to get rid of it?
Marianne

Marianne
Mkdisegni
Old 2010-03-09, 10:53am
PyronamixK

Not to interrupt the foot pedal discussion, but here's the latest video upload for anyone interested:

Scorpion on 8 LPM, 13 psi

For this video we are using an oxygen concentrator that has been measured to have a static pressure of 13 psi. This is within the range of the static pressure output of the M-15 and EX-15 oxygen concentrators we have tested in the field with our oxygen analyzer. We set the flow to 8 LPM, which is the maximum recommended flow output of those machines (M-15/EX-15). We believe this to be a close approximation of an actual M-15 or EX-15. Even if our machine were to have a full 15 psi static pressure, we believe that the extra 2 psi would not make a noticeable difference in torch performance, particularly because at 13 psi, the full 8 LPM is still being delivered to the torch.

It's a short video, mostly because my camera battery went out (like the previous videos, this was taken with the video feature of a Sony Cybershot). I am planning to redo it with my new camcorder in order to get better flame detail. The videos that are in production right now are much better in terms of image quality - particularly image detail.

I am planning to also show the Scorpion running on a 10 LPM, 5 psi machine, and on that machine paired with a 5 LPM, 5 psi machine.