Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-10-06, 10:51am
Staying cozy by the fire

Smile GTT Mirage

So I just bit the bullet and ordered a Mirage. What will the learning curve be like from a Nortel Mega Minor? I see so many knobs and flame sizes it is kinda of exciting (and intimidating). I know for a short time I will have to run on two tank oxy. I will be purchasing a concentrator shortly but which one should I choose? Arrow Springs has an OX15 and ABR has an EX-15. The only difference I can see thus far is it appears ABR is refurbished. Should I be concerned??
Old 2009-10-06, 11:19am

At first I would concentrate on learning to use the triple mix inner fire Lynx portion of the torch. This will be where you do 80% or more of your work. Using just the Red and Green knobs on the inner fire will work like your Mega Minor. Start playing with the blue knob to see how it affects the flame characteristics.

I mostly use the outer fire on one setting since I have a foot peddle. It gives me a good burst of extra fire to melt things faster and work on larger pieces. You can do all sorts of neat things by using the triple mix in different combinations on the inner and outer fires, but that is much more complex and I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-10-06, 11:19am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

You are in for quite an adjustment. The Mirage is friggin hot and the flame is friggin big, it can be intimidating. I moved to a mirage from a phantom and have not yet fully adjusted to it yet.

You can't run the Mirage off a concentrator unless you have a pressure booster and enough concntrators to generate 55 cfh, or use the concentrators to supply an high pressure tank fill system. The Mirage uses upwards of 35psi oxygen.
Old 2009-10-06, 11:43am
Glassmangler

Your best bet is going to be to run the inner (Lynx) flame with a generator, and use tanked for the outer. I have a Phantom, and use an Onyx+ to run the centerfire (same as a Mirage), and it works great. I use a Psyclone as the outer fire, but it's not the same as tanked. For a Mirage, you're going to have to spend many thousands of dollars for an OnSite or a tank fill system if you don't want to use tanked oxy.

As far as learning curve, do the following:

a) Go buy a Bic lighter. Mount it to a popsicle stick. That represents your current torch.
b) Crank your current torch wide-open, as hot as you can possible rage it. Comparatively, this is a Mirage.

I'm hoping to snag a Mirage later this year, I'm jealous. Enjoy.
Old 2009-10-06, 8:34pm
Staying cozy by the fire

Thank you so much for the candid responses. Which generator would you recommend? Onyx+ gets one vote. I have also seen concentrators. Would two concentrators work? How long of a torch session would I get if I ran the Mirage to do Boro at its highest setting?
Old 2009-10-07, 6:17am
Glassmangler

Well, that's the good thing about generators, is that you can run them for as long as you want.

Understand, that Onyx+ is going to do nothing but run your center fire. If you're going to go with an OnSite system that lets you run your outer fire, you have no need of it (just plan on spending at least $5K, probably more like $7K).
Old 2009-10-07, 6:29am

Or simply use tanked. You can run on tanked for a long long time without spending that kind of money, make thousands of pieces that you can sell. It's a hassle hooking up and unhooking tanks, but here a T sized tank only runs $18.00. That will run your Mirage for quite a while. Of course the time will vary with how you run the torch and how big you're working.

I wouldn't trade my Mirage for anything. I stepped up from a redmax. It did take me a bit of time to get used to the whole knob thing, but it's worth it. I second Paul's advice to concentrate on getting the Lynx part of the torch working correctly. I use my centerfire for at least 90% of everything I do. Congrats on the new torch....I'll bet in a few weeks you're going to wonder how you got along this long without it. It's a great torch.
Old 2009-10-07, 7:02am
Staying cozy by the fire

So running the center on tanked at this time is probably my best bet. I already have two tanks. They cost around $25.00 here in Tucson. Initially I will be working mainly small stuff so I think at this point a generator may be out of the question. If 90% of everything you do is on centerfire then I may be in the same boat.

Thanks again. You guys are awesome. I love this forum..

-Eric
Old 2009-10-07, 8:17am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

just keep in mind that running the centerfire on oxycons (10 lpm) will not get you to the full potential of the lynx...probably net even 70% of the lynx'x capabilities on tanked (imo).
Old 2009-10-10, 3:54am

Your gonna love it. There are so many more flame settings than any other torch, and you will work faster with much nicer colors. It shouldn't take you too long to learn the torch, if you need any help, don't hesitate to email or PM me about flame settings. Be glad to help you out!
-chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-11-10, 9:10pm
Lampworker

you can run a huricane on the center fire and outer on tanked, if you get a filling station youll get 5800# per week to work on.

i have run a mirage on two huricanes but you cant get 100% on the outer, but you will melt glass, just slowly. 3 huricanes would be better.

also with gtts, always have your blue cracked, will prevent cloggage
and try cracking your outer green when working your centerfire, uses a lot more o2 but gives you a softer burning flame that helps prevent boiling while working fast.
Old 2009-12-10, 5:53pm
Harold Williams Cooney

so . . . . how do you like yours?

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.