LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-05, 9:56pm

Default How heavy is a long Donà tagliol?

Hi,

I want a Donà long tagliol, specifically the tapered blade: 2-1/4" wide tapering to 1-1/2" wide, 11-3/8" long, overall length: 17". This looks like it would be a wonderful tool to use, but was told (by Roberto Donà through a friend) that it wasn't really appropriate for making beads.

I currently use a brass tool -- 7 inch blade, 11 inches overall, smooth one side, ribbed on the other -- for my primary marver (to roll a long way before re-positioning), so am used to a somewhat heavy tool already.

Does anyone have one that they would weigh for me? I'm still lusting after one, but will give the idea up if it's too heavy. I emailed the US distributor for the anwer, but never heard back.

I would appreciate any help.

Mahalo,
Cheryl
Old 2014-02-06, 10:42pm
Glass-aholic

I don't know what that is. Got a pic???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-07, 3:27pm

These are the Tagliol that are made by hand in Japan by a blacksmith I know (yes, I carry these):

http://www.artcoinc.com/maruko_tagliol.php

Right now, I'm out of the small ones. I can weight the medium and large ones for you if you want.

Oh, and here are the ones made by Jim Moore (no, I don't carry these)
http://www.toolsforglass.com/store/paddles.html

And these are the Carlo Dona tags:
http://www.spiralarts.com/products/pc/Tagliol-c30.htm

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2014-02-07, 4:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
These are the Tagliol that are made by hand in Japan by a blacksmith I know (yes, I carry these):

http://www.artcoinc.com/maruko_tagliol.php

Right now, I'm out of the small ones. I can weight the medium and large ones for you if you want.

Oh, and here are the ones made by Jim Moore (no, I don't carry these)
http://www.toolsforglass.com/store/paddles.html

And these are the Carlo Dona tags:
http://www.spiralarts.com/products/pc/Tagliol-c30.htm

Malcolm
Thanks now I have tool envy ahhhhhhh now I want one too

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2014-02-08, 8:24pm

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, I looked at your Japanese tools, and while they are beautiful, they are of carbon steel, and I need stainless, as Hawaii is just so humid. I've purchased other carbon tools, and within 2 or 3 days, they showed rust spots. I don't like having to oil them to keep them in good shape, as cleaning them before each use is more trouble than I'm willing to take.

Thank you for posting the Jim Moore site, as it had not occurred to me to look at those. I'll email to find out how heavy his are.

Spiral Arts was where I first looked, but they have no information about weight, and didn't respond to email. And of course their sale is over.

Thanks again,
Cheryl
Old 2014-02-09, 9:29am
Glass-aholic

Any chance you could use an industrial style spatula from a kitchen supply? Might be lighter weight, and will be stainless steel. They come in many sizes, offset and flat. It should have a thinner edge, probably comparable to the tapered side, but just would not get thicker on the other side. It could always be sharpened on one side if you wanted a real edge to it on one side also, and will still be made to handle heat.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-09, 3:09pm

Jaci,
That's a wonderful idea! Thank you. Off to search online for kitchen supply sources.
If I find a good one, I will post here in case others want to try it out too.
Cheryl
Old 2014-02-09, 5:25pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Cheryl ... maybe email Carlo Dona direct - here's the web page with the email address at the bottom:
http://www.carlodona.com/english/products/products.html

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2014-02-18, 1:05am

Well, Jaci's suggestion was spot-on!

I ordered a commercial quality stainless 12" long 1.5" wide spatula, and it's perfect, and less than $10, including shipping. It works so well, and is so cheap, I highly recommend that everyone get one!

It seems easier for me to balance around the mandrel when rolling a barrel bead on a long unbroken surface.

Linda at Spiral Arts contacted me once she realized their website's email function had problems. She was so helpful with information about Roberto's tags. Unfortunately (at least for me), his blades are carbon steel, and rust is a horrible tool enemy here.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

Cheryl

Last edited by CheriB; 2014-02-18 at 1:13am.
Old 2014-02-18, 9:18am
Glass-aholic

Glad to help I'm a very "found objects" kindda tool gal