No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-02-25, 4:23pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Default Crafting AFTER you bead....?

I'm one of these people that NEEDS to keep my hands busy even when I'm watching TV and I was wondering if some of you are the same way. If so, what craft do you dabble in during your off-bead time?

Just lookin' for something new to learn to keep me busy at night....(I can't ask my DH, he has PLENTY of ideas for me!!!

Thanks!
~Lynn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2007-02-25, 4:35pm

Sometimes I crochet bead ropes or crochet on a couple blankets that I was going to get done 5 years ago. My old partner on the ambulance.
It's a throw for his son. Who is 5 I think.
I told him I would for sure have it done before he graduates.

Old 2007-02-25, 5:03pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I crochet and do crewel embroidery. Of course I also make jewelry...
Old 2007-02-25, 5:30pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I crochet beaded ropes. I also just found needle punch again. I liked it as a kid and they have new kits out for it at Hobby Lobby.

Old 2007-02-25, 6:21pm
Dangerous Woman

I usually cleean out my bead holes while I watch TV. I also work on making jewelry while I watch TV.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-02-25, 6:47pm
Satake Woman!

Stamping, quilting and jewelry making.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-02-25, 7:28pm
as in the state

I crochet. Sometimes I make jewelry. I play on the internet. Stained glass. Scrapbooking. Usually it's crochet. The other stuff has it's own table set up in my spare bedroom. No TV in there. I'm working on thread curtains that I've been doing on and off for 4 years now. Almost 1/2 done. They are filet crochet with an ivy pattern to go into some cutout shutters I had made for my house. But, I never see my house, so I have a hard time being motivated to finish something for windows I don't see...

Typing my recipes to store them in my computer has been a project lately. (Less crap to travel with that way since I know I'm taking my computer...)

Too many hobbies...too little time...

-Amy
Old 2007-02-25, 8:42pm
Corgi Cult Member

Needle felting is a good TV time activity. Lately I always seem to be on my laptop though.

Old 2007-02-25, 8:53pm

I'm the same too...Always gotta be doing something! Usually I'm making jewelry, knitting, crocheting or quilting.

Amy
www.aleighdesigns.com
Old 2007-02-25, 9:26pm
FatCat Mama

I knit socks. You can see some of them here on Flickr.

Teri.p

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2007-02-26, 1:16am
Princess of Pi

cross stitch or sewing crafts usually
Old 2007-02-26, 5:29am
Where's the coffee?

I knit, crochet, and draw when I am not torching. My biggest hobby is reading though.

Old 2007-02-26, 5:34am
Who me?

Spare time? What's that? Clean, cook, spend time with DH....oh, sometimes I make soap! But only when I'm running low.
Old 2007-02-26, 7:22am
Ad astra per aspera

I'm another knitter, mostly socks. I'm thinking about tackling a fisherman-style sweater for DH, though.

Old 2007-02-26, 7:34am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I sew and make jewelry.. Clean bead holes also..

I would really love to learn how to crochet or knit but I think it would probably make my carpel tunnel act up.. It looks like such a portable craft though.. Be crocheting just about anywhere..
Old 2007-02-26, 4:26pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Thanks for all of your crafting ideas! I know how to crochet, but I can't seem to make anything the resembles anything...blankets are lopsided, etc., so I was looking for something else...

What are crochet beaded ropes? That sounds interesting....

Have any of you heard of Bobbin Lace making???

Facebook:

Old 2007-02-26, 5:18pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn's lampwork View Post
Have any of you heard of Bobbin Lace making???

Yes, an old friend was into that years ago but it looked a little to complicated for my likes. You really have to pay attention to the position of the bobbins where as with crochet I can actually watch TV. She made some incredible lace though!

I was into tatting for awhile. I used to do that when I was called in for jury duty. It's really portable.
Old 2007-02-27, 2:07pm
Striking-impared...

I've just picked up Kumihimo, using the foam board. For simple patterns, you can easily do it in front of the TV. One of these days I'll try beading it...

Old 2007-02-27, 5:50pm

I like to crochet and make jewelry with my beads I have made. And never, never ask the DH. LOL!
Old 2007-02-27, 6:02pm
She better not sell these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri.p View Post
I knit socks. You can see some of them here on Flickr.

Teri.p

Teri,
Those are cool socks!!!! When i saw your post.. i thought... socks???
so i HAD to look, and wow!

I think I need to raid my yarn stash for some nice soft sock yarns...

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2007-02-27, 6:47pm
Butterfly Rancher

Here's a link for bead crochet ropes http://www.beadcrochet.com/ All the beads are strung onto the crochet yarn before the crocheting is started, so it's very portable -- in front of the TV, travelling, etc. It takes a bit of PPP to get used to but once it clicks, then it's very simple.
Old 2007-02-27, 6:58pm
Formerly Sassygirl

I crochet granny square blankets for the new babies at our church. I do it all year then give them out at xmas.

Old 2007-02-27, 8:17pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

You are all so sweet for sharing your talents with me, thank you so much! I am VERY impressed with ALL of your "after hours" crafting!!!

I think I'm going to give the Bead Crochet a try! Sounds like it's what I'm looking for; the main thing being that I can do it while watching TV or traveling!

Thanks again, everyone...of course, keep the ideas coming!!!!

~Lynn

Facebook:

Old 2007-02-28, 6:28am
Jan Scarborough

I am another one that has to have my hands busy while watching TV, traveling in the car, etc. This is when I do a lot of wirework - looping beads together with crystals, silver, etc. to make necklaces. An easy crochet project is to string beads on 26 or 28 gauge silver wire (or the artistic non tarnish wire). Single crochet multiple strands and then braid together. Vary the strands for interesting effects.
Old 2007-02-28, 8:05pm

I write. It's so completely different from lampworking that it makes a nice change. (see Deadly Diamonds by Pamela Troutman on Amazon.com). That's my first book, my second is almost finished. I think I'll put lampworking in my next book. I can sit and watch tv with pen and paper, or sit at my computer while watching tv, as I am doing now.
Old 2007-02-28, 8:21pm
Young Lampworker

homework... ugh. if it's not that, i'm probably reading or doing something with friends. sometimes it's just nice to just sit there and do nothing, espescially with all of the stuff that high school throws at you...
Old 2007-02-28, 8:45pm

Free time? You got free time? Sign me up!

I am Mr. Mom for a house of three girls so if I am not torching then I am probably cooking, cleaning, mowing, doing laundry, etc.......

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-03-01, 10:23am
"....Oh Honey!"

Great socks Teri. Nothing makes feet happier than handknit socks. I love to knit and also spin my own yarn. I'm wrestling with the idea of warping my floor loom, but that would be a serious committment. So many mediums to play with. There is always something new to try.

dvd now available

Old 2007-03-02, 5:25am
FatCat Mama

Thanks Twig and Lauri! I recently completed a pair of knee-high socks; need to take some more pictures.

Lauri, that's a stunning shawl! Is it knit with your hand-spun?

I do hanker after a spinning wheel, but until Indiana adds four more hours to each day I'll have to dream.

Teri P

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2007-03-09, 12:02am
~raven~

i made the beads into a necklace, usually using hemp

http://raven-spirit.deviantart.com/